Cats vs no cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Cats vs no cats

Going to put a new exhaust set up was going to go with borla but for right now I might just put some flow master 40 series. Anyway If I eliminate my cats will I lose some horses and I don't want my car to sound like a motorcycle when I get on it without cats should I independently go straight back to each muffler h pipe x pipe I'm open here I don't want to sacrifice performance I don't care about losing some sound for a better set up though.
Dtibbz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Cats vs no cats

You wont loose power..in fact youll gain a couple hp thanks to freeing up the exhaust velocity a bit. Might i suggest looking at mac and their off road prochamber. I had one on my old gt with flow 40S and to me it was sex. Of course thats just my preference..
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

+1, you will gain Horsepower from removing the cats, cats restrict airflow which means if you take them out you will have a lot better airflow, which means more power. And depending on your set up it will probably sound good without them. Like 1slosix said about the prochamber is nice, it will make it sound amazing with some good mufflers. If you are taking out the cats i wouldn't recommend any mufflers that are too loud (i.e. Pype Bombs, Loud Mouths ect...)

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
You wont loose power..in fact youll gain a couple hp thanks to freeing up the exhaust velocity a bit. Might i suggest looking at mac and their off road prochamber. I had one on my old gt with flow 40S and to me it was sex. Of course thats just my preference..
Do you have a vid of that exhaust
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I was looking into the pro chamber, however I just need these stock exhausts off so I'm going for a quick install here and not ordering anything and then with the months to follow I will go long tube to more then likely an x pipe possibly chambers I to borla but that setup would make me have to wait a week or two to get parts in.

Just thinking I don't know the diameter but say I came off the heads with a 3/4 pipe into a smaller pipe lets say 1/2 back into a 3/4 before the muffler.as I went straight back to the mufflers. ( so straight pipes )What do you think would happen?
Dtibbz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+1, you will gain Horsepower from removing the cats, cats restrict airflow which means if you take them out you will have a lot better airflow, which means more power. And depending on your set up it will probably sound good without them. Like 1slosix said about the prochamber is nice, it will make it sound amazing with some good mufflers. If you are taking out the cats i wouldn't recommend any mufflers that are too loud (i.e. Pype Bombs, Loud Mouths ect...)

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Do you have a vid of that exhaust
Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Nice!
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thanks i thought it sounded ok too
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No cats
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Removing the cats is IMO the single most gratifying mod.. Sound, power and lots of cool factor... For the money IMO its the most bang per buck because it offers more than performance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT