calibrate wideband gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
k so i have installed an aem wideband af gauge in my car. for calibration the instructions arent the best as it just seem like they want you to install a data logger. well i dont plan on using the data logger. there are 2 wires that are used for data logging purposes. one of those two wires is output voltage. a data logger will read that voltage and be able to keep track of the af ratio. in the instructions there is a chart for what the output voltage is to what the af should be.

so basically in order to calibrate the gauge, you have to use a voltmeter on that wire, then look at the chart. according to what the chart says you will need to set the needle on the gauge accordinly. this isnt to big of a deal. but what happens if you want to make sure your still calibrated? you will need to pull that wire again and check it again.

so after some back and forth with trojan horse. we came up with this idea to install a volt meter on that output wire. this way anytime i needed to check calibration i will already have the voltage i need. the problem here is any standard auto volt gauge only goes down to 8 volts. the voltage i am trying to read is around 2-3 volts. so i found what is called a dc panel meter. i purchased it from ebay for around 4$ shipped.

to install this meter it only requires a positive, negative, and the signal wire which in my case would be the data logger wire. i have my wideband gauge installed in my custom radio delete. so i just used a small wafer cutoff wheel and mounted it right next to the gauge.

so that pretty much sums it up. if you want a wideband but dont feel like spending 300$ on a data logger or messing with wires and volt meters every time you want to check it. this is the best and easiest route.

note: with the panel meter being digital. it is also more accurate than the actual needle that is on the gauge. it is super tricky to tighten the lens on and keep the face plate in the proper spot. this is because there is a rubber gasket that touches the face plate. so when you tighten the bezel on it turns the faceplate that you just set the needle to. very tricky. but once you learn the volt range that you want you af to be in, you can just use that if you'd like.

I would normally just post my installs in the "what it takes thread". but there doesnt seem to be much information on the internet about calibrating a wideband gauge. so i figured this maybe searchable and help someone in the future. ENJOY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1709524657.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	63146   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-102643698.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	63147  

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Very cool write up!. I know you TH and myself like having more gauges to tell us what's goin on with our stangs. I really want a wideband and I will definitely go this route.
And I also have the radio delete but have a lil compartment underneath that I will have to fab up for more gauges
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Very cool write up!. I know you TH and myself like having more gauges to tell us what's goin on with our stangs. I really want a wideband and I will definitely go this route.
And I also have the radio delete but have a lil compartment underneath that I will have to fab up for more gauges
Thanx Steve. Definitely worth the 4$ I paid. If you search eBay for panel meter I wanna say there were something like 7000 results! Which is good because they have all different sizes. And you have to make sure it has works with a 12 volt supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
That is badass
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
That is badass
Thanx 90!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Nice write up little buddy. I'll have to read this again though in about a month lol
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: calibrate wideband gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
k so i have installed an aem wideband af gauge in my car. for calibration the instructions arent the best as it just seem like they want you to install a data logger. well i dont plan on using the data logger. there are 2 wires that are used for data logging purposes. one of those two wires is output voltage. a data logger will read that voltage and be able to keep track of the af ratio. in the instructions there is a chart for what the output voltage is to what the af should be.

so basically in order to calibrate the gauge, you have to use a voltmeter on that wire, then look at the chart. according to what the chart says you will need to set the needle on the gauge accordinly. this isnt to big of a deal. but what happens if you want to make sure your still calibrated? you will need to pull that wire again and check it again.

so after some back and forth with trojan horse. we came up with this idea to install a volt meter on that output wire. this way anytime i needed to check calibration i will already have the voltage i need. the problem here is any standard auto volt gauge only goes down to 8 volts. the voltage i am trying to read is around 2-3 volts. so i found what is called a dc panel meter. i purchased it from ebay for around 4$ shipped.

to install this meter it only requires a positive, negative, and the signal wire which in my case would be the data logger wire. i have my wideband gauge installed in my custom radio delete. so i just used a small wafer cutoff wheel and mounted it right next to the gauge.

so that pretty much sums it up. if you want a wideband but dont feel like spending 300$ on a data logger or messing with wires and volt meters every time you want to check it. this is the best and easiest route.

note: with the panel meter being digital. it is also more accurate than the actual needle that is on the gauge. it is super tricky to tighten the lens on and keep the face plate in the proper spot. this is because there is a rubber gasket that touches the face plate. so when you tighten the bezel on it turns the faceplate that you just set the needle to. very tricky. but once you learn the volt range that you want you af to be in, you can just use that if you'd like.

I would normally just post my installs in the "what it takes thread". but there doesnt seem to be much information on the internet about calibrating a wideband gauge. so i figured this maybe searchable and help someone in the future. ENJOY
Alright, Success! It's great when an idea/experiment turns out good and works well the first time.
Looks great, good job on the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post

Give us MOAR!

Mine will probably look like an airplane cockpit when it's done. I've been eyeballing the 4-channel wideband from AEM and trying to figure out how I can swing the cost. With those I will be able to fully utilize the PMS to tune each cylinder individually with fuel and timing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Nice write up little buddy. I'll have to read this again though in about a month lol
i was just telling you how perfect my af was. well now that its 25* cooler my af is way off. i am running really lean. and i cant get it within spec without jet changing. but i am gonna wait until i add my carb spacer to see.

just so everyone know. compliments of trojan, this is my data logger. it was a little cheaper than 300$. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-800901792.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	63267  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Road Trip!

@ trojan. yes i am very pleased with the result. that was some good brainstorming we did on that one! the best part is that i dont think anyone else has this kind of setup.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
@ trojan. yes i am very pleased with the result. that was some good brainstorming we did on that one! the best part is that i dont think anyone else has this kind of setup.
Not that I have seen. You better buy up a bunch of those little meters and package them up to sell for this purpose.

Dreamstang's Wideband Voltage Monitoring Meters, get yours right here for only $29.95 = much profits!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Not that I have seen. You better buy up a bunch of those little meters and package them up to sell for this purpose.

Dreamstang's Wideband Voltage Monitoring Meters, get yours right here for only $29.95 = much profits!
lol. right on. i can even include the instructions i just made and the data sheet you made me for logging!

your idea = get rich quick scheme
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Nice write-up dream! That setup looks killer in your ride
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Nice write-up dream! That setup looks killer in your ride
thanx bud!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
lol. right on. i can even include the instructions i just made and the data sheet you made me for logging!

your idea = get rich quick scheme
Exactly, maybe not "get rich", but I'll bet you could pull in some decent cash for more mods to your Mustang. Worth thinking about and the initial cash outlay as you know would be small.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Do I get a 6% discount?...lol jk jk!!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Do I get a 6% discount?...lol jk jk!!
lmao. absolutley

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT