Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine light if i take off cats??

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  02 360R 
#1 ·
95 mustang gt does not need to pass emissions in massachusetts however if a dash light is on it is automatic fail. If I take my cats off will check engine light come on? Pre- obd II

#4 ·
mymustang said:
If it doesnt have the o2 after the cat you should be fine..Which is pre obd2..How is it automatic fail if you dont need emmision??
Kinda my thinking....,of you don't have to pass emissions why do you have to take the test and get a sticker? :confused;

#12 ·
I also live in mass and the law is any car before 1997 does not have to pass emmission test but can not have smoke coming from tailpipes (good oil change) and must pass safty and visual inspection and iam getting and h pipe put on monday and hopefully will still pass (also have the air bag light) there are some tunes that can make your o2 censors to stop throwing the code.

#13 ·
Adogg said:
I also live in mass and the law is any car before 1997 does not have to pass emmission test but can not have smoke coming from tailpipes (good oil change) and must pass safty and visual inspection and iam getting and h pipe put on monday and hopefully will still pass (also have the air bag light) there are some tunes that can make your o2 censors to stop throwing the code.
I talked to my mechanic and obd II cars throw a light code so you should get your sticker then take them off until you figure out how to shut the check engine light off. The only light you can have on at a MA inspection is abs and probably (battery light)

#14 · (Edited)
Dtibbz22 said:
I talked to my mechanic and obd II cars throw a light code so you should get your sticker then take them off until you figure out how to shut the check engine light off. The only light you can have on at a MA inspection is abs and probably (battery light)
I got my h pipe on there today and it has not thrown any codes yet i have a 94 gt (obd1)

#26 ·
I just bought a 02 and the light came on after about a day of driving. I took it back and the guy cleared the code, but it came back on. So I had a friend check the code. And I then learned the cats were removed. Then I discovered Plug-In MIL Eliminators from AM. Just 69.99. It clears the codes and keeps it off OBD II stangs. I ordered them today. Just waiting for them to arrive. I'll tell you all about them in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.