Headlights wont turn on! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Headlights wont turn on!

The headlights on my 90gt went out. All other lights turn on except the headlights......Any thoughts on some places to look?
ItsjustaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Have you checked the bulbs? Or maybe even the fuses? Could also be the switch itself

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Headlights wont turn on!

I did check the bulbs and the fuses....everything seems fine there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Check the switch.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Question Re: Headlights wont turn on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Check the switch.
How do I do that?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
use a wiring scematic located in your haynes or chilton book. and locate the "in" power source and the out to the light wires. check continuity to those wires. you shouldnt have continuity with the switch of but you should have it with the switch on.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Your year stang is notorious for this problem. Did your headlights start to flicker before they went out all together? Here's what happens. The fog lights overheat the headlight switch and eventually cause the excessive heat to burn the switch. Replace the headlight switch, witch is easy and read the link I'm giving you. I hope you don't work at night ? Good luck.

Mustang GT Fog Light Fix

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

List: Headlight Switch - 1990 Ford Mustang | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
Your year stang is notorious for this problem. Did your headlights start to flicker before they went out all together? Here's what happens. The fog lights overheat the headlight switch and eventually cause the excessive heat to burn the switch. Replace the headlight switch, witch is easy and read the link I'm giving you. I hope you don't work at night ? Good luck.

Mustang GT Fog Light Fix

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

good call on the fix. ive read that several times and always forget to mention that.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Mustang OEM Headlight w/ Foglight Switch (87-93) SW2106 - Free Shipping!

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
good call on the fix. ive read that several times and always forget to mention that.
Yep, it was a bad design. It's not if it will happen? It's when it will happen! On that model stang. If you own them long enough your going to have the dreaded headlight problem.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post

Mustang GT Fog Light Fix

They did flicker sometimes after being on for a little while. Now this can just affect the headlights? Cause every other light turns on---> parking, fog, and high beams when I hold them in the flash position(high beams wont stay on) If this si the case I really appreciate your information I will get on it!!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsjustaGT

They did flicker sometimes after being on for a little while. Now this can just affect the headlights? Cause every other light turns on---> parking, fog, and high beams when I hold them in the flash position(high beams wont stay on) If this si the case I really appreciate your information I will get on it!!
yes. its like maldog stated. the fogs are ran through the headlights. so when they are on for a while they get hot.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Correct, it just affects the headlight. You will need to go to the fog light fix or this will just happen again after you replace your headlight switch. You'll be driving at night soon
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsjustaGT View Post
When you use the flash position it uses a different circuit ,,thats why they came on while you held it
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I really appreciate everyone's input thanks a ton!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Just for reference the switch going bad was mostly all the lights ( dash, running lights, headlights and so on). When mine went out the first couple of times it was just the headlights then the rest quickly followed.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I know it's been awhile but I've been on tour for the last month and my first thing to do was get this headlight issue fixed. I bought the headlight/fog light switch and replaced it but that still didn't fix the problem. I'm trying to follow the wiring diagram but nothing seems to add up. I'm lost..... Any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Road Trip!

you need to check power to each head light harness when you turn the switch on.also i once had one busted bulb in my stang, and because of that i wouldnt get any head lights.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
So I know it's been awhile but I've been on tour for the last month and my first thing to do was get this headlight issue fixed. I bought the headlight/fog light switch and replaced it but that still didn't fix the problem. I'm trying to follow the wiring diagram but nothing seems to add up. I'm lost..... Any suggestions?
Im pretty sure on that year the headlights are on a different circuit then the running lights,,did you check for any fuses or some use circuit breakers
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Now when you guys said the switch, did u mean the multi function switch? Could that be a problem?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now when you guys said the switch, did u mean the multi function switch? Could that be a problem?
The reason I'm asking is because I did alittle research online and found someone at ask.com or something had the same issue. I looked at the connector and the switch and found that there seemed to be some "melting" around the connector to the headlights(red/blk) wire. How do I go about replacing that connector? I'm very new to this as you may be able to tell
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
The reason I'm asking is because I did alittle research online and found someone at ask.com or something had the same issue. I looked at the connector and the switch and found that there seemed to be some "melting" around the connector to the headlights(red/blk) wire. How do I go about replacing that connector? I'm very new to this as you may be able to tell
You will have to get a headlight connector pigtail and replace the melted one. The wire connections should be crimped and soldered to ensure good contact that won't wiggle loose later. Also use some heat shrink tubing to cover the connections so they do not short out. If you have no experience with this, it is probably better left to a repair shop.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You will have to get a headlight connector pigtail and replace the melted one. The wire connections should be crimped and soldered to ensure good contact that won't wiggle loose later. Also use some heat shrink tubing to cover the connections so they do not short out. If you have no experience with this, it is probably better left to a repair shop.
advice
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
You're Welcome & Good Luck with your project.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the help! I got the multi function switch in today and everything now works!! Now I need to do that fog light fix so it doesn't happen again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT