Mustang Evolution Forum banner

seat belt location

1K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  dreamstang 
#1 · (Edited)
so i had put new interior in my car over the last few years. i havent put in the seat belts yet, but know im ready. the new carpet isnt cut out for it yet. with the new carpet it was a real pita to install the door sills. thats becase the carpet is thick and not smashed down. and also because i had to put thenholes in the carpet. so the carpet likes getting tangled in the screws and getting in the way.

so my questions are.........

can someone give me the exact location of where the front seat belts bolt to? maybe a measurment off the front or back door frame? or how high up on the tunnel? or anything else for reference that might be useful. even a couple pics would help tremendously.

thanx guys.

oh btw its an 88 gt vert. im not positive that theynare all the same, but i think the seatbelt locations would be the really flippin close. on my passenger side i used a floorpan out a a hatch. it was a hair different but not much. the only thing that was different was the edge was folded up not down. but i do know the seat bolt location were the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
There aren't any mounting studs for your belts? When I redid my interior in my 87 LX I left the seat belt studs in place and laid the carpet, that way I could feel for the studs and just cut a tiny hole to slip them through and fasten the bolt that holds the belts to the frame.

#3 ·
rwsmith3623 said:
There aren't any mounting studs for your belts? When I redid my interior in my 87 LX I left the seat belt studs in place and laid the carpet, that way I could feel for the studs and just cut a tiny hole to slip them through and fasten the bolt that holds the belts to the frame.
yeah, thats what i did for my seats. but i forgot to do that for the belts. but a little late for that! lol

the only other thing i can think of is to make a small slit big enough for my finger and feel around. but it would just be easier if i had an idea of where they go.

#4 ·
I can look at mine and maybe get you some measurements, but they may not be exactly the same as yours. Not sure if they changed the locations any between the years. :confused:

#12 ·
You win, I lagged. :eek:: :D

#14 ·
Tank you, I falled down on de job. It wonut happin agin. ;)

#18 ·
#19 · (Edited)
Trojan Horse said:
:eek: Oh crap! It's contagious! :lmao:
haha. apparently it is...:eek::

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

hell to the mother fn yeah... got that biatch in.. thanx steve.

the console side measurement was dead nutz. i used what u gave me, then used a poker and stabbed right through the hole. then gently cut around it.

but apparently the other side is about an 1 1/4" further back. but no biggie cause i was able to easily slip a the carpet out just enough in that area. the job that i have been dreading forever was actually pretty painless. took about 20 minutes. but i just did the drivers side.

thanx again fellas

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

p.s. tomorow if no rain i burn rubber! muhahaha

#21 ·
Note: "Handy Hint #1" :D

If you have an old screwdriver, grind it off to a point and heat it with a small torch, then pass it through any screw or bolt holes in the carpet. That sears and melts the carpet fibers around the hole and helps to keep them from wrapping around the screws or bolts when you put them in and take them out. :good:

#22 ·
Trojan Horse said:
Note: "Handy Hint #1" :D

If you have an old screwdriver, grind it off to a point and heat it with a small torch, then pass it through any screw or bolt holes in the carpet. That sears and melts the carpet fibers around the hole and helps to keep them from wrapping around the screws or bolts when you put them in and take them out. :good:
Good idea. I still have to do the passenger side, so I may try it. But will that work on the insulation? Cause that was the only small snag I had. I actually use a cheap poker/scribe that comes with screwdriver sets.well minus the heat.

#23 ·
It should, I have been doing it for years and even on the thick insulation if you get the poker red hot it will slightly enlarge the path and burn off the small threads and bits that usually catch on the screw and bolt threads. :good:

#24 ·
Trojan Horse said:
It should, I have been doing it for years and even on the thick insulation if you get the poker red hot it will slightly enlarge the path and burn off the small threads and bits that usually catch on the screw and bolt threads. :good:
Cool. Thanx for the tip. I will try it whenever I get around to the passenger side. :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.