Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SLP exhaust a tight fit with MM Panhard bar

Tags
exhaust
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dreamstang 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just installed my SLP exhaust around the new MM Panhard bar and the pipes that go around the fuel tank on the passenger side is touching. How bad is that? I just need to get to work that's 2 miles away tomorrow. I just hope it's a short enough drive where it won't heat up the gas tank. After tomorrow I'm going to install turn downs since I can hear the exhaust pipes vibrating. Is it too dangerous to drive with the pipe touching? Not sure how much heat the plastic cover can take too. Any feedback is great!

Thanks,
Mike
'93 LX 5.0

#2 ·
That far back most of the exhaust heat should dissipate and 2 miles isn't that far. You should be ok, just be careful and maybe stop and check it about halfway there.

However don't take that as gospel and use your own best judgement. :good:

#3 ·
I agree with trojan. I THINK it should be ok. But no one can give you a definite answer when it comes to something dangerous. But as he said that far bar in the exhaust it shouldnt be as hot.

You may also try shoving something in between the pipe and the tank. Either a piece of sheet metal to act as a shield. Or something thicker to just give it some space.

#4 ·
Speaking from experience you'll be fine. When I bought my first fox when I was 16 I had this same problem, only it took me 2 years to find out. I bought the car with zero knowledge of working on vehicles so I never once looked under the car until I owned it for about 2 months, saw the pipes rubbing and being ignorant I ignored it. Drove it for 2 years like that, only problem I had was a sh!t load of scuffing on the tank. It didn't make it ok that I drove it like that, but like I said I was ignorant.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

After thinking about that last comment I shouldn't of said you'll be fine. In my own opinion I personally think you'll be just fine. But the possibility is still there that the tank could do the obvious.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure how hot the pipe would get and didnt want to blow up my car :). I can also hear the pipe vibrating off of the frame mounted bolts. A little annoying and it's loudest during idle. I may end up removing the tailpipes and put on a pair of turndowns. We'll see how long that will last and how long I can take the sound.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.