please help..nothing happens when keys turned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
please help..nothing happens when keys turned

i went out today to start my car up and when i turned the key it just turned forqard but nothing happened, the fuel pump was pumping but the starter didnt start turning or anything. i havent touched anything on the car since it was last started besides the when i did bearings up front i checked to see if any wires came loose under the dash but everything looked ok if anyone has any clue what my problem may be help would be great thanks
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: please help..nothing happens when keys turned

Check your battery voltage. If that checks good you will need to check your starter.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
Check your battery voltage. If that checks good you will need to check your starter.
Its a new starter I just replaced it a few months ago although it seems to be taking longer and linger to start. But it didn't even make a noise I thought some sort of noise would be made if it had low voltage and maybe tried to spin it Idk tho I'm gonna go check the voltage now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You're going in the right direction.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I checked and it was at 8 volts. I threw it on charger for a bit and ill check again later
Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
I checked and it was at 8 volts. I threw it on charger for a bit and ill check again later
It should be like 14.5 ish so how old is that battery? If you get it going take it to auto zone and get your alternator and battery checked. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It should be like 14.5 ish so how old is that battery? If you get it going take it to auto zone and get your alternator and battery checked. Good luck.
Bought it in February. It's been sitting for a while tho
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
it should only be around 12.5 volts not running. when it is rinning it should be around 14.5 volts.

yeah you wont get much of anything with 8 volts.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bought it in February. It's been sitting for a while tho
It might just need a good charging.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It might just need a good charging.
Hopefully lol. I'll find out ina bit if that was it
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The batterys charged and I still got nothing. I checked the wires on the starter and they're good so I'm lost now
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Possibly starter solenoid ? Or fuse?

Do you have any lights when you turn the key on? You said it was getting harder and harder to start? That might have been the starter solenoid getting to hot and getting ready to fry?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
The batterys charged and I still got nothing. I checked the wires on the starter and they're good so I'm lost now
Check your connections,,try and jump it off with another car..Check the voltage at the starter too
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Possibly starter solenoid ? Or fuse?

Do you have any lights when you turn the key on? You said it was getting harder and harder to start? That might have been the starter solenoid getting to hot and getting ready to fry?
Yeah the one square lights up when I turn it all the way forward. And the starter I had went then I bought this new one and its been slowing down a bit.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the one square lights up when I turn it all the way forward. And the starter I had went then I bought this new one and its been slowing down a bit.
Well do what my mustang suggested. If you haven't checked any fuses? Check them. If you are getting the correct voltage to the starter? It could be the solenoid.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

1. Have someone work the ignition switch for you and test the small wire on the side of the solenoid to ensure you have 12 volts there when the switch is turned to start.

2. Verify that you have 12 volts to the solenoid from the battery and from the solenoid to the starter when the switch is turned to start.

Note: From 5:41 to 6:26 may not have been long enough to fully charge the battery.

It is possible that your ignition switch has failed if you cannot get power to the small wire that activates the solenoid.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
1. Have someone work the ignition switch for you and test the small wire on the side of the solenoid to ensure you have 12 volts there when the switch is turned to start.

2. Verify that you have 12 volts to the solenoid from the battery and from the solenoid to the starter when the switch is turned to start.

Note: From 5:41 to 6:26 may not have been long enough to fully charge the battery.

It is possible that your ignition switch has failed if you cannot get power to the small wire that activates the solenoid.
It said it was fully charged but I put it on over night but still didn't get anything I'm gonna test the solenoid after work tonight so ill see if that's it.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Testing the silinoid is a good next step. And also verifying the ignition is giving the silinoid 12 volts as trojan suggested.

Even though your charger said fully charged did you verify it had proper voltage now also. It's not likely cause you said its new, but the battery being bad would make sense for what has happened so far. This is just another possible scenario.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

i went to test the solenoid a few minutes ago and i had my step dad testing it when i turned the key and when he put the negative end on the battery terminal it sparked and started right up and now its starting no problem so im not sure what the problem was just hope it doesnt happen again
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like you have a ground draining your system you need to find it!!!! Give each wire a lil tug to ensure good connection..
Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Sounds like you have a ground draining your system you need to find it!!!! Give each wire a lil tug to ensure good connection..
i already kne wi had a ground draining my battery i didnt think itd effect it starting unless the battery was dead i gotta rip out my dash bc the wires coming off my light switch are melted together well two of em are
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Dig in bubba... Or bypass and don't drive at night until its right cause it can cause bigger issues but more than likely you will just keep getting a dead battery. I would temporarily disable the lights until I pull the dash. Just to remove power from the circuit... Pull fuse...
Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Dig in bubba... Or bypass and don't drive at night until its right cause it can cause bigger issues but more than likely you will just keep getting a dead battery. I would temporarily disable the lights until I pull the dash. Just to remove power from the circuit... Pull fuse...
i havent been driving it much lately bc im trying to finish all the smalls things on it and bc my neighbors call the cops but i just unplugged the battery when im not using it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT