Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tire question

719 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  All4sho 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking for some help on tire sizes. I am about to dig into the car and swap in a 5 lug conversion. I have an 88 GT hatch. Here a list of whats going on and what I am looking for. Ok, ranger/bronco 2 rear axles w/ drums (for now) tubular rear control arms, quad shock will be history, 1" lowering springs and a set of factory mustang bullet 17" wheels. I don't have a problem with rolling fenders, I am just to give me a little more room and to be on the safe side. I am running stock size tires on the front 245/45. I was wandering of anyone could help figure out the widest tire I can run staying the same height as the front tires. Thanks.

#4 ·
Me personally I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 255. If I remember correctly a 255 on a 8" fits like a glove. Now I've seen guys run up to a 275 on a 8" but that's pretty dangerous, you run into ballooning issues with temp changes/track temps, your also curving the tread and forcing all the weight of the car directly on the center of the tire and not evenly spread over it like you'd want.

#6 ·
Thats up to you, you said your dropping it an inch so your fender well gap won't be that hard to close up. Just personal preference on what look and ride comfort your going for. I'd probably run 255/40 or so. Look online for people with a similar set up to yours and same tire combination and see how you think the cars stance is with that tire. I run a 285/40 in the rear and love it, but I definitely sacrifice some ride comfort.

#7 ·
Yes it is getting dropped, I have been trying to find pictures but they don't mention what size tires they are running. As far as comfort goes the car scares the sh*t out of my wife and she won't let me take my son in it yet, so as long as I am comfortable it is all good. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.