No power, burning lots of gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

Unhappy No power, burning lots of gas

Hey,

I'm new to this site and am looking for some help with an 88 sd H.O. 5.O.
I've swapped it out of an 88 mustang(don't hate me the car was toast), and gave it another life in my 79 Bronco. I had trouble with rough idle and surging, but got that fixed with tps adjustment, and base idle adjustment.
The engine starts and runs really smooth, but Now its burning more fuel than the 429 I took out of the truck, as is pretty gutless. There is lots of sut in the tail pipes. Any Idea where to start? Any help would be much appreciated. Can I check the return voltage on the map sensor, if so what should it be?
79Bronco5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: No power, burning lots of gas

what other changes do you make, apparently something is so out of whack that the computer can no longer compensate...

first check all of your grounds, make sure your not throwing any codes, do a Koeo and koer test as it sounds like its possible you have a faulty device thats reporting a super lean condition.
you didn't install larger injectors did you?

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #3

Re: No power, burning lots of gas

I can't seem to pull a code off the computer, I've transferred the self-test plug with the harness, but can't get it to work. Not sure what to do. I have put a plate over the erg port and haven't used an egr elimimator, not sure if that would screw everything up.
79Bronco5L is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT