fuel pump info/ suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
fuel pump info/ suggestions

is it possible to use a efi pump on a carbed engine ? the reason im asking is because im building my fuel system on my current engine which is efi 5.0 but i will have a 460 on a stand soon and will take time to build. i don't want to invest in an expensive pump to change it out later
87lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I think mine is an efi pump, but I don't know for sure. I only suspect it is because its still in tank. But it works good with a regulator. I'm just not sure how long it will last. But you can pick up a Holley blue with regulator for around 125-150$. And it will support around 500 hp.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Region: New York
Most EFI systems need 40+ psi to run, a carbed engine requires around 4-7 psi to run. I don't think you'll be able to regulate it down enough. I don't think an EFI regulator will go that low.
Justin erass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin erass
Most EFI systems need 40+ psi to run, a carbed engine requires around 4-7 psi to run. I don't think you'll be able to regulate it down enough. I don't think an EFI regulator will go that low.
You need a carb regulator....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

You need a carb regulator....
Can also get a return style regulator so you don't burn up the pump with pressure

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Can also get a return style regulator so you don't burn up the pump with pressure
+1
Justin erass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: fuel pump info/ suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lx View Post
is it possible to use a efi pump on a carbed engine ? the reason im asking is because im building my fuel system on my current engine which is efi 5.0 but i will have a 460 on a stand soon and will take time to build. i don't want to invest in an expensive pump to change it out later
You might be able to get it to work, but you really need to remove the EFI pump because of the pressure difference and install a pickup tube in its place and run a Holley Blue pump and carb regulator.
Also, just because the pressure is way higher in the EFI pump does not mean it will supply the volume of fuel you will need, as you won't be able to use that high pressure on a carb system.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You might be able to get it to work, but you really need to remove the EFI pump because of the pressure difference and install a pickup tube in its place and run a Holley Blue pump and carb regulator.
Also, just because the pressure is way higher in the EFI pump does not mean it will supply the volume of fuel you will need, as you won't be able to use that high pressure on a carb system.
My setup supplies plenty of fuel and works great. At wot I only lose about a 1/2 of pressure. But I know its a ticking time bomb. Wing regulated down that far. I also don't have a return. But I wanna use the stock pickup and modify it when I add an external pump. So I'm just gonna wait till it dies before I change anything. As little as I drive it may last forever. Lol
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
My setup supplies plenty of fuel and works great. At wot I only lose about a 1/2 of pressure. But I know its a ticking time bomb. Wing regulated down that far. I also don't have a return. But I wanna use the stock pickup and modify it when I add an external pump. So I'm just gonna wait till it dies before I change anything. As little as I drive it may last forever. Lol
Do you know what your pressure is before it is regulated?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Do you know what your pressure is before it is regulated?
i never checkedpressure before the reg. but i am also running no return line with no issues. i dont know if you remember, but it took lots of playing with the configuration to get the pressure right. well i take that back. i think i may have tried without the regulator ... crap. i just dont know. somewhere hidden in the what it takes has all the info. we went back and forth quite a bit trying to figure it out. sorry i cant give full description.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i never checkedpressure before the reg. but i am also running no return line with no issues. i dont know if you remember, but it took lots of playing with the configuration to get the pressure right. well i take that back. i think i may have tried without the regulator ... crap. i just dont know. somewhere hidden in the what it takes has all the info. we went back and forth quite a bit trying to figure it out. sorry i cant give full description.
That's ok, I was being lazy and not wanting to search through the mega-stash of info we shared there.

I was just curious as to if it was an EFI pump with no return, how long it would last under those conditions. We'll know when & if it ever fails.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. I knew about the pressure differences but didn't think of volume. I will have a return on my cell. So i just need to do some research on volume and how low my regulator goes i guess ?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lx View Post
Thanks for the info. I knew about the pressure differences but didn't think of volume. I will have a return on my cell. So i just need to do some research on volume and how low my regulator goes i guess ?
Yes, for a carb anything over 8 psi requires special needles and seats.
The EFI pump "could" supply the volume for most uses if it were allowed to move the fuel at the pressures it was designed for, but carbs cannot handle that pressure. Also note that any lines carrying the higher pressure require EFI duty hose clamps if any are used. Standard hose clamps are not designed for that kind of pressure and can fail, leading to fuel leaks and possible fire hazards.

I would seriously consider doing as I advised previously and replace it with a pickup tube and Holley Blue pump and regulator. Mixing and matching EFI and carbed fuel system parts is just not a good idea.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool. Thanks again
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_182725.png
Views:	74
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	65986

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_182805.png
Views:	80
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	65987

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_182825.png
Views:	77
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	65988

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_182922.png
Views:	82
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	65989

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_183009.png
Views:	71
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	65990

My baby and some stuff i was working on. The whole trunk is out atm for the cell install. Its gonna be sweet
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, for a carb anything over 8 psi requires special needles and seats.
The EFI pump "could" supply the volume for most uses if it were allowed to move the fuel at the pressures it was designed for, but carbs cannot handle that pressure. Also note that any lines carrying the higher pressure require EFI duty hose clamps if any are used. Standard hose clamps are not designed for that kind of pressure and can fail, leading to fuel leaks and possible fire hazards.

I would seriously consider doing as I advised previously and replace it with a pickup tube and Holley Blue pump and regulator. Mixing and matching EFI and carbed fuel system parts is just not a good idea.
i know mine has plenty of volume. and i believe that it will fail eventualy because i am regulating it so far down. but like i stated before i may as well use it until it fails. then i will throw my blue on. it will also be a good experiment. why take the pump off if its working fine. plus i want to use the pickup. but like i said also the volume is plenty for my setup.

oh yeah btw. i didnt feel like searching the colaso amount of info either. lol
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i know mine has plenty of volume. and i believe that it will fail eventualy because i am regulating it so far down. but like i stated before i may as well use it until it fails. then i will throw my blue on. it will also be a good experiment. why take the pump off if its working fine. plus i want to use the pickup. but like i said also the volume is plenty for my setup.

oh yeah btw. i didnt feel like searching the colaso amount of info either. lol
I'm interested in seeing how long yours lasts and seeing just what it is when you remove it.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'm interested in seeing how long yours lasts and seeing just what it is when you remove it.
me to. thats why i refered to as kind of an experiment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT