Power loss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
Power loss

Just bought this 95 gt about a month ago. Runs good but at around 3k rpms in 1st and 2nd gear it feels sluggish. Almost like something's holding it back. All new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. When I hit it timing was set at about 5deg btd. I reset it to about 12 btd right now. Was told fuel pump just replaced but not sure. Any ideas on what may be my problem?
Adams95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When i had that problem it was fuel pressure. Check it at shrader valve. Ford specs are 38-40psi. Autozone will rent you the tool. Some of the more experienced guys on here will prolly have more ideas. Invest in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual if you don't have one. They're a life saver! How did plugs look when you changed them?

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I guess old plug visual wont help since timing was so far off....lol
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Pete Jones
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
When i had that problem it was fuel pressure. Check it at shrader valve. Ford specs are 38-40psi. Autozone will rent you the tool. Some of the more experienced guys on here will prolly have more ideas. Invest in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual if you don't have one. They're a life saver! How did plugs look when you changed them?

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I guess old plug visual wont help since timing was so far off....lol
Advanced will not rent you a fuel pressure tool, I've tried that. Could be a timing issue, factory I believe should be 10 degrees. But yes you need to get a fuel pressure guage hooked up to see what it does.

Does it just hang there at 3k or pop and crack when you try to push it past that?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not trying to say anything you probably already know. Ford specs are 10btdc but you can advance up to 14, (mine is set at 12btdc) but you must run premium 92+ octane to prevent detonation. I ran circles fighting this same problem. With help from great guys on this forum, i checked fuel pressure and it ended up being low. I found a few kinks in hard lines. Again, not trying to step on your toes.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I'm just a rookie that has had awesome help from the novice guys on here. (That's where I learned timing trick.) Good luck man, and I hope some more knowledgeable people on here can help you out!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Pete Jones
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
Not trying to say anything you probably already know. Ford specs are 10btdc but you can advance up to 14, (mine is set at 12btdc) but you must run premium 92+ octane to prevent detonation. I ran circles fighting this same problem. With help from great guys on this forum, i checked fuel pressure and it ended up being low. I found a few kinks in hard lines. Again, not trying to step on your toes.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I'm just a rookie that has had awesome help from the novice guys on here. (That's where I learned timing trick.) Good luck man, and I hope some more knowledgeable people on here can help you out!
No problems, just saying I've tried the renting of the fuel pressure tool at advance auto and they refused but maybe auto zone is different I didn't try them.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Plugs didn't look too bad really. Thought it is probably a fuel issue. I'll check into auto zone on getting tester. Car runs great otherwise. Just tried on way home and if I put pedal all way to floor it will push right through. But like 3/4 throttle it falls on its face @3500 rpm in 1st n 2nd once in 3rd its good again
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Power loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams95gt View Post
Just bought this 95 gt about a month ago. Runs good but at around 3k rpms in 1st and 2nd gear it feels sluggish. Almost like something's holding it back. All new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. When I hit it timing was set at about 5deg btd. I reset it to about 12 btd right now. Was told fuel pump just replaced but not sure. Any ideas on what may be my problem?
Did you set the timing correctly by removing the spout connector before changing it and replacing it afterwards?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

Yea I removed connector set timing (checked again today) its right at 10 deg btd.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yea I removed connector set timing (checked again today) its right at 10 deg btd.
Then make sure the MAF sensor is clean and functioning properly and check the fuel pressure as advised above.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #10

Ok thank you
Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #11

Haven't got to check fuel pressure yet but a guy I work with says maybe it needs tuned? Not sure what he means by that. I've saw some talk about it on here but I don't know what it means. Only mods I know of are full bassini exhaust shorty headers, off road x-pipe and mufflers. Cold air intake, and was told under drive pulleys but crank and water pump pulley are colored and alternator pulley looks like standard pulley. I can take the thing apart and put it together but I'm still learning a lot so I appreciate any help.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams95gt
Haven't got to check fuel pressure yet but a guy I work with says maybe it needs tuned? Not sure what he means by that. I've saw some talk about it on here but I don't know what it means. Only mods I know of are full bassini exhaust shorty headers, off road x-pipe and mufflers. Cold air intake, and was told under drive pulleys but crank and water pump pulley are colored and alternator pulley looks like standard pulley. I can take the thing apart and put it together but I'm still learning a lot so I appreciate any help.
your modds shouldnt require a tune, a tune is when a tuner puts you car on a dyno and adjusts parameters in the ecu to make it run best. or you can buy a canned tune which is a preset tune on a chip that you just plug in. but this is most likely not your problem.

under drive pulleys are always causing issues. but usually just charging or cooling issues.

i would do as trojan suggested as it sounds like a great starting spot.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There is a good write up for cleaning and checking your MAF in the stickies section under useful information.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So many people these days seem to think that everyone needs a "tune". Which usually means to them taking it to a shop and having it "dyno" tuned or using a "tuner" to fine tune the engine. That's just not true with the 89-95 Mustangs. The stock ECU can handle almost any mods up to forced induction or nitrous before needing a tune like that.

Just get your fuel pressure checked, make sure the MAF sensor is clean and your O2 sensors are functioning ok and you should be good to go. Use the testing procedures found in the Useful Info thread to test components before shelling out the cash for new ones to save some money.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #15

In this forum? Was lookin and haven't found it yet

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams95gt
In this forum? Was lookin and haven't found it yet
Never mind. Found it.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

i just had the same problem 1st and second felt sluggish and 3rd cut out at 4000ish rpms double check to make sure the wires are on the right plugs bc i never thought mine would be mixed up and here i accidently mixed two up that ended up being my problem stupid but double check to make sure
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT