Front seal leaking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
Front seal leaking

I recently istalled gt40 p heads and a explorer intake and rebuilt the top end amd the front of thr motor.
it runs strong and everything is fine other than my front seal started leakin amd it's got a brand new one in it
I put grease around the rubber part that goes around the crank. And also I put a small amount of rtv on the keyway of the harmonic balancer. I only had a small amount of rtv left or I would have put more on it.
But have y'all ever had a new front seal leak on u. ? I guess I could install another one bit don't want thst one to leak also.
Is the bolt for the harmonic balancer supossed to have rtv on it to ?
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
It wouldn't hurt I use ARP thread sealer. But dream or TH may say something different. I would just pull it and re do it with more rtv
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
It wouldn't hurt I use ARP thread sealer. But dream or TH may say something different. I would just pull it and re do it with more rtv
I would agree.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
I recently istalled gt40 p heads and a explorer intake and rebuilt the top end amd the front of thr motor.
it runs strong and everything is fine other than my front seal started leakin amd it's got a brand new one in it
I put grease around the rubber part that goes around the crank. And also I put a small amount of rtv on the keyway of the harmonic balancer. I only had a small amount of rtv left or I would have put more on it.
But have y'all ever had a new front seal leak on u. ? I guess I could install another one bit don't want thst one to leak also.
Is the bolt for the harmonic balancer supossed to have rtv on it to ?
If the front seal is leaking after the installation of a new seal then:

1. Wrong size front seal was used.
2. Improper installation of seal, bent or torqued out of shape.
3. Harmonic balancer snout surface the seal rides on is damaged.

If it is #3 you can buy thin repair sleeves to repair that or just replace the balancer which is probably the best idea as the rubber in old balancers breaks down and lets the outer ring slip eventually.

You should not need to put any RTV on the keyway or balancer bolt. There should be an oil slinger that goes on the crankshaft snout before the balancer to keep the oil away from there. The only thing I ever use is a bit of Blue Loctite on the bolt threads right before I torque it down to specs.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Willi960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 72
I read recently that many people including myself, make the mistake of putting a lubricant on the outside of a seal before installing it. This is bad practice. While lubricating it would ease installation, it also does not allow for the seal to seat as close or tightly to the metal surface it's being installed in. A dry seal cavity is a tighter fit and is the proper way. Pack with grease after. Just a thought.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960 View Post
I read recently that many people including myself, make the mistake of putting a lubricant on the outside of a seal before installing it. This is bad practice. While lubricating it would ease installation, it also does not allow for the seal to seat as close or tightly to the metal surface it's being installed in. A dry seal cavity is a tighter fit and is the proper way. Pack with grease after. Just a thought.
If you mean on the outside of the metal ring retaining the rubber seal, yes, you should NOT lubricate that area with oil or grease. A bit of Loctite around it will serve to initially lubricate it for easier installation and to help seal it up once installed and the Loctite has cured.


The rubber seal itself should always be lubricated with engine oil or a light grease that will dissolve in oil, otherwise you run the risk of burning the seal when starting the engine the first time after installation.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Willi960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 72
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960 View Post
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome, anything to help fellow Mustang owners.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If the front seal is leaking after the installation of a new seal then:

1. Wrong size front seal was used.
2. Improper installation of seal, bent or torqued out of shape.
3. Harmonic balancer snout surface the seal rides on is damaged.

If it is #3 you can buy thin repair sleeves to repair that or just replace the balancer which is probably the best idea as the rubber in old balancers breaks down and lets the outer ring slip eventually.

You should not need to put any RTV on the keyway or balancer bolt. There should be an oil slinger that goes on the crankshaft snout before the balancer to keep the oil away from there. The only thing I ever use is a bit of Blue Loctite on the bolt threads right before I torque it down to specs.
yeah... what ^ he said!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
yeah... what ^ he said!

Thanks for the confirmation.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
Ok thanks for the info guys. I didn't put nothin on the metal part of the seal. And I think it would only go one way. I did put grease around the rubber part.
I'm going to work on it today and c what's up with it.
The balancer is about 3 years old. It had a date stamped on it. And the rubber didn't look like it was coming out yet. But I will double check everything. But thaiks again y'all all always so much help !
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
And trogan horse. I don't recall seeing a oil slinger. Is the oil slinger removalable or is it fixed to the harmonic balmcer or what ? Mabye that's the problem
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
And trogan horse. I don't recall seeing a oil slinger. Is the oil slinger removalable or is it fixed to the harmonic balmcer or what ? Mabye that's the problem
It's just a washer like piece that fits on the crank behind the balancer.


Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
Mine didn't have it. Is thst something I can buy or would I have a fab something up ?
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
Mine didn't have it. Is thst something I can buy or would I have a fab something up ?
I honestly don't know if you can buy them or not, maybe from a Ford dealer.

Fabbing one up would be difficult because of the offset needed.
Maybe a salvage yard would have one.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
Ok it look like by your pic that I would have to take the timing cover off. But it didn't have one when I took it apart and it didn't leak b4 so I guess I'll try putting another seal in it.
But could pcv issues cause a leakin front seal. I put a new pcv in it amd a oil change but my friend said he noticed a little gray smoke when I got on it pretty hard. But I put new vavle seal in it to amd it don't smoke all the time.
do u think this is a possibilty that when I got on it real hard oil from the front seal leakin and slinging back on the exhasut made it look like smoke comin out the back of the car ?
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
Ok it look like by your pic that I would have to take the timing cover off. But it didn't have one when I took it apart and it didn't leak b4 so I guess I'll try putting another seal in it.
But could pcv issues cause a leakin front seal. I put a new pcv in it amd a oil change but my friend said he noticed a little gray smoke when I got on it pretty hard. But I put new vavle seal in it to amd it don't smoke all the time.
do u think this is a possibilty that when I got on it real hard oil from the front seal leakin and slinging back on the exhasut made it look like smoke comin out the back of the car ?
The timing cover may have to come off, I really can't remember for sure, it's been to long since I last had one apart. Proof that when I build something it lasts for a while though.

The PCV not functioning correctly could very well lead to a buildup of pressure in the crankcase and cause the seal to leak.

Did you replace all (16) of your valve seals?

I doubt oil coming from the front timing cover seal could get on the exhaust and appear to come from the rear of the car, but I guess if it leaked enough it might happen.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rob94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 43
Yeah I replaced all 16 of them. But I guess it's too early to dignose anythinb. I'll put some more miles on it and c what I can figure out with it.
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:18 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.