Front seal leaking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Front seal leaking

I recently istalled gt40 p heads and a explorer intake and rebuilt the top end amd the front of thr motor.
it runs strong and everything is fine other than my front seal started leakin amd it's got a brand new one in it
I put grease around the rubber part that goes around the crank. And also I put a small amount of rtv on the keyway of the harmonic balancer. I only had a small amount of rtv left or I would have put more on it.
But have y'all ever had a new front seal leak on u. ? I guess I could install another one bit don't want thst one to leak also.
Is the bolt for the harmonic balancer supossed to have rtv on it to ?
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
It wouldn't hurt I use ARP thread sealer. But dream or TH may say something different. I would just pull it and re do it with more rtv
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
It wouldn't hurt I use ARP thread sealer. But dream or TH may say something different. I would just pull it and re do it with more rtv
I would agree.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
I recently istalled gt40 p heads and a explorer intake and rebuilt the top end amd the front of thr motor.
it runs strong and everything is fine other than my front seal started leakin amd it's got a brand new one in it
I put grease around the rubber part that goes around the crank. And also I put a small amount of rtv on the keyway of the harmonic balancer. I only had a small amount of rtv left or I would have put more on it.
But have y'all ever had a new front seal leak on u. ? I guess I could install another one bit don't want thst one to leak also.
Is the bolt for the harmonic balancer supossed to have rtv on it to ?
If the front seal is leaking after the installation of a new seal then:

1. Wrong size front seal was used.
2. Improper installation of seal, bent or torqued out of shape.
3. Harmonic balancer snout surface the seal rides on is damaged.

If it is #3 you can buy thin repair sleeves to repair that or just replace the balancer which is probably the best idea as the rubber in old balancers breaks down and lets the outer ring slip eventually.

You should not need to put any RTV on the keyway or balancer bolt. There should be an oil slinger that goes on the crankshaft snout before the balancer to keep the oil away from there. The only thing I ever use is a bit of Blue Loctite on the bolt threads right before I torque it down to specs.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I read recently that many people including myself, make the mistake of putting a lubricant on the outside of a seal before installing it. This is bad practice. While lubricating it would ease installation, it also does not allow for the seal to seat as close or tightly to the metal surface it's being installed in. A dry seal cavity is a tighter fit and is the proper way. Pack with grease after. Just a thought.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960 View Post
I read recently that many people including myself, make the mistake of putting a lubricant on the outside of a seal before installing it. This is bad practice. While lubricating it would ease installation, it also does not allow for the seal to seat as close or tightly to the metal surface it's being installed in. A dry seal cavity is a tighter fit and is the proper way. Pack with grease after. Just a thought.
If you mean on the outside of the metal ring retaining the rubber seal, yes, you should NOT lubricate that area with oil or grease. A bit of Loctite around it will serve to initially lubricate it for easier installation and to help seal it up once installed and the Loctite has cured.

The rubber seal itself should always be lubricated with engine oil or a light grease that will dissolve in oil, otherwise you run the risk of burning the seal when starting the engine the first time after installation.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960 View Post
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome, anything to help fellow Mustang owners.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If the front seal is leaking after the installation of a new seal then:

1. Wrong size front seal was used.
2. Improper installation of seal, bent or torqued out of shape.
3. Harmonic balancer snout surface the seal rides on is damaged.

If it is #3 you can buy thin repair sleeves to repair that or just replace the balancer which is probably the best idea as the rubber in old balancers breaks down and lets the outer ring slip eventually.

You should not need to put any RTV on the keyway or balancer bolt. There should be an oil slinger that goes on the crankshaft snout before the balancer to keep the oil away from there. The only thing I ever use is a bit of Blue Loctite on the bolt threads right before I torque it down to specs.
yeah... what ^ he said!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
yeah... what ^ he said!

Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for the info guys. I didn't put nothin on the metal part of the seal. And I think it would only go one way. I did put grease around the rubber part.
I'm going to work on it today and c what's up with it.
The balancer is about 3 years old. It had a date stamped on it. And the rubber didn't look like it was coming out yet. But I will double check everything. But thaiks again y'all all always so much help !
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

And trogan horse. I don't recall seeing a oil slinger. Is the oil slinger removalable or is it fixed to the harmonic balmcer or what ? Mabye that's the problem
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: Front seal leaking

Quote:
And trogan horse. I don't recall seeing a oil slinger. Is the oil slinger removalable or is it fixed to the harmonic balmcer or what ? Mabye that's the problem
It's just a washer like piece that fits on the crank behind the balancer.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mine didn't have it. Is thst something I can buy or would I have a fab something up ?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Mine didn't have it. Is thst something I can buy or would I have a fab something up ?
I honestly don't know if you can buy them or not, maybe from a Ford dealer.

Fabbing one up would be difficult because of the offset needed.
Maybe a salvage yard would have one.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok it look like by your pic that I would have to take the timing cover off. But it didn't have one when I took it apart and it didn't leak b4 so I guess I'll try putting another seal in it.
But could pcv issues cause a leakin front seal. I put a new pcv in it amd a oil change but my friend said he noticed a little gray smoke when I got on it pretty hard. But I put new vavle seal in it to amd it don't smoke all the time.
do u think this is a possibilty that when I got on it real hard oil from the front seal leakin and slinging back on the exhasut made it look like smoke comin out the back of the car ?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok it look like by your pic that I would have to take the timing cover off. But it didn't have one when I took it apart and it didn't leak b4 so I guess I'll try putting another seal in it.
But could pcv issues cause a leakin front seal. I put a new pcv in it amd a oil change but my friend said he noticed a little gray smoke when I got on it pretty hard. But I put new vavle seal in it to amd it don't smoke all the time.
do u think this is a possibilty that when I got on it real hard oil from the front seal leakin and slinging back on the exhasut made it look like smoke comin out the back of the car ?
The timing cover may have to come off, I really can't remember for sure, it's been to long since I last had one apart. Proof that when I build something it lasts for a while though.

The PCV not functioning correctly could very well lead to a buildup of pressure in the crankcase and cause the seal to leak.

Did you replace all (16) of your valve seals?

I doubt oil coming from the front timing cover seal could get on the exhaust and appear to come from the rear of the car, but I guess if it leaked enough it might happen.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I replaced all 16 of them. But I guess it's too early to dignose anythinb. I'll put some more miles on it and c what I can figure out with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT