tune! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
tune!

I was wondering if possbily I need a tune.?
I installed the gt40p heads with upgraded vavle springs, ported lower and upper explorer intake , new timing chain,and a o/r hpipe.
I had the battery disconnected for like 2 weeks. After I got it done amd started and timed it and took it for a test drive. It ran good and strong and I could tell a good difference in power through out the powerband.
The next couple of days I drove mabye 6 miles each day but ran real strong.
ive put bout 50 miles on it and Now it seems like I have lost some lowend torque.
It seems like the computer has relearned all of it's perimenters and the tune has became less aggrasive. Tonight I'm going to unhook my battery and I'm going to c if it runs stronger tommorrom.
But I wouldn't think I need a tune with the few mods I have but that's why I'm askin.
But come to think about when my motor was untouched except headers if I unhooked my battery for a while while workin on something that it would run stronger when I first hooked it back up for a few miles.
Sorry so long but just trying to explain everything so y'all can know my situation.
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: tune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
I was wondering if possbily I need a tune.?
I installed the gt40p heads with upgraded vavle springs, ported lower and upper explorer intake , new timing chain,and a o/r hpipe.
I had the battery disconnected for like 2 weeks. After I got it done amd started and timed it and took it for a test drive. It ran good and strong and I could tell a good difference in power through out the powerband.
The next couple of days I drove mabye 6 miles each day but ran real strong.
ive put bout 50 miles on it and Now it seems like I have lost some lowend torque.
It seems like the computer has relearned all of it's perimenters and the tune has became less aggrasive. Tonight I'm going to unhook my battery and I'm going to c if it runs stronger tommorrom.
But I wouldn't think I need a tune with the few mods I have but that's why I'm askin.
But come to think about when my motor was untouched except headers if I unhooked my battery for a while while workin on something that it would run stronger when I first hooked it back up for a few miles.
Sorry so long but just trying to explain everything so y'all can know my situation.
You don't need a tuner tune or a chip if that's what you are asking.
Just make sure the engine itself is in a good state of tune and maybe advance the timing a bit.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the engine itself has a brand new tune. Plugs,wires,cap fuel filter and it runs smooth. The idle is smooth amd it don't surge or mis. I have the timing at 12 degrees
But I just don't understand why it At first it ran really strong amd could feel all kinds of low end torgue and now it seems like some of the low end is gone
Tomorrow I'm going to check timing g amd fuel pressure.
Sorry for askin all kinds of questions but I'm just trying to figure some stuff out
U might want to know this! But I put a 180 degree thermostat in it also and for the first couple of days the temp got up to about half way on the gauge. Now the past couple of days the temp gauge won't even get to the n. I know thst will make it run in cold loop mode and it's not good for the motor but it hasn't smelled like it's running rich.
Wouldn't running coldloop make it run stronger or am I thinkin wrong? And I felt the motor with my hand amd it feels like it's running at correct temp.
I thought my gauge was bad so I pulled the sender wire amd grounded it and the gauge pegs to hot. So I reckon I'm going to put stock thermostat in it amd c what it does. Thanks for all our help trogan horse !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: tune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt View Post
Yeah the engine itself has a brand new tune. Plugs,wires,cap fuel filter and it runs smooth. The idle is smooth amd it don't surge or mis. I have the timing at 12 degrees
But I just don't understand why it At first it ran really strong amd could feel all kinds of low end torgue and now it seems like some of the low end is gone
Tomorrow I'm going to check timing g amd fuel pressure.
Sorry for askin all kinds of questions but I'm just trying to figure some stuff out
U might want to know this! But I put a 180 degree thermostat in it also and for the first couple of days the temp got up to about half way on the gauge. Now the past couple of days the temp gauge won't even get to the n. I know thst will make it run in cold loop mode and it's not good for the motor but it hasn't smelled like it's running rich.
Wouldn't running coldloop make it run stronger or am I thinkin wrong? And I felt the motor with my hand amd it feels like it's running at correct temp.
I thought my gauge was bad so I pulled the sender wire amd grounded it and the gauge pegs to hot. So I reckon I'm going to put stock thermostat in it amd c what it does. Thanks for all our help trogan horse !!
Yeah, don't use the colder thermostats. If anything get a high flow stat in the correct temp range.
Cold loop will make it over fuel and actually if it does that it will hurt your power and engine eventually. Running lean will increase power, but it can also be detrimental as you could burn a hole in a piston doing that. There is a fine line between rich and lean that you need to run in. Lean enough to make good power, but rich enough to keep from melting down the engine. Reading the plugs immediately after a WOT run will help you decide the correct fuel mixture or you could get a wide band gauge/meter to make that tuning easier.

If the engine is getting really hot that would explain why you feel like there is a loss of power.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yeah, don't use the colder thermostats. If anything get a high flow stat in the correct temp range.
Cold loop will make it over fuel and actually if it does that it will hurt your power and engine eventually. Running lean will increase power, but it can also be detrimental as you could burn a hole in a piston doing that. There is a fine line between rich and lean that you need to run in. Lean enough to make good power, but rich enough to keep from melting down the engine. Reading the plugs immediately after a WOT run will help you decide the correct fuel mixture or you could get a wide band gauge/meter to make that tuning easier.

If the engine is getting really hot that would explain why you feel like there is a loss of power.
Ok I'll get the other thermostat in it. The motor just felt at the correct temp. By feeling it. Hot but not hot enought to burn my hand or anything. But I'll keep a close eye on everything

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT