94 mustang gt help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
94 mustang gt help

Hey guys, first post here. Im 17, and just bought myself a 94 GT 5 speed. It's got power everything, black cloth interior, and it's got 101,000 miles. The car came with a full bbk stainless steel exhaust system, but it's got MAC mufflers. It's got a full BBK drag race suspension in the rear, Stock gears (3.27s?) are kinda sluggish, but it's still a blast to drive. There are a few problems though. Sometimes, when taking off from a dead stop, the car will chug and skip, then you can feel the motor kick in. I think it may be the coil pack, but figured I'd ask. So if any of you could throw in some info about that, I'd really appreciate it.

What I'm really here to ask is what are the cheapest, most effective mods that I can do to my car to wake it up a little bit. So far I've got this list: 3.90 gears, short throw shifter, 1.5 inch lowering springs, and then I was going to start saving my pennies for some trick flow heads and intake. If you guys could point me in the right direction, maybe tell me other cheaper mods you would recommend, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3272024790.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	66800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137513304.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	579.9 KB
ID:	66801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-825399885.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	66802  
Slow94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 94 mustang gt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow94GT View Post
Hey guys, first post here. Im 17, and just bought myself a 94 GT 5 speed. It's got power everything, black cloth interior, and it's got 101,000 miles. The car came with a full bbk stainless steel exhaust system, but it's got MAC mufflers. It's got a full BBK drag race suspension in the rear, Stock gears (3.27s?) are kinda sluggish, but it's still a blast to drive. There are a few problems though. Sometimes, when taking off from a dead stop, the car will chug and skip, then you can feel the motor kick in. I think it may be the coil pack, but figured I'd ask. So if any of you could throw in some info about that, I'd really appreciate it.

What I'm really here to ask is what are the cheapest, most effective mods that I can do to my car to wake it up a little bit. So far I've got this list: 3.90 gears, short throw shifter, 1.5 inch lowering springs, and then I was going to start saving my pennies for some trick flow heads and intake. If you guys could point me in the right direction, maybe tell me other cheaper mods you would recommend, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Nice looking 94.

I'd bet the inexpensive mods have already been done, but check the "In the beginning" sticky thread to see if any were missed, then save those pennies for the HCI kit as it will make more of a difference than almost anything else you can do. The Trickflow HCI will increase your HP to around 350 at the flywheel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Nice looking 94.

I'd bet the inexpensive mods have already been done, but check the "In the beginning" sticky thread to see if any were missed, then save those pennies for the HCI kit as it will make more of a difference than almost anything else you can do. The Trickflow HCI will increase your HP to around 350 at the flywheel.
I'm guessing the HCI kit is Heads, Cam, and Intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm guessing the HCI kit is Heads, Cam, and Intake?
Yes, that way you get factory matched parts for the best results possible.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, that way you get factory matched parts for the best results possible.
Makes perfect sense. I'm assuming after this, I should have the car dyno tuned. Would a larger TB be recommended? I'm guessing a 70-73mm TB would be beneficial.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. I'm assuming after this, I should have the car dyno tuned. Would a larger TB be recommended? I'm guessing a 70-73mm TB would be beneficial.
Yes a 70MM would be recommended and work just fine with the HCI upgrade.

Note:
On the intake side it works best to have your intake tract funnel shaped to increase the flow and velocity of air into the intake.

Example 75MM MAF to 70MM TB.

Same thing on the exhaust side, but the other way with the smaller pipes at the engine leading to a progressively larger pipe out the back. This allows for exhaust gas flow and expansion and results in better scavenging of the cylinders for more power. There is an article link in the Useful Info thread with examples and information.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes a 70MM would be recommended and work just fine with the HCI upgrade.

Note:
On the intake side it works best to have your intake tract funnel shaped to increase the flow and velocity of air into the intake.

Example 75MM MAF to 70MM TB.

Same thing on the exhaust side, but the other way with the smaller pipes at the engine leading to a progressively larger pipe out the back. This allows for exhaust gas flow and expansion and results in better scavenging of the cylinders for more power. There is an article link in the Useful Info thread with examples and information.
Okay, so maybe 1 7/8 headers, 2.5 inch piping, and 3 inch tailpipes? The help is appreciated, great forum you've got here.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, so maybe 1 7/8 headers, 2.5 inch piping, and 3 inch tailpipes? The help is appreciated, great forum you've got here.
Yes, that would be an improvement over the stock exhaust for sure.

You're welcome and thank you.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Welcome aboard, everything Trojan is saying is likely your best bet.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Welcome aboard, everything Trojan is saying is likely your best bet.
Thanks! Yea, I think I'm going to save for the HCI kit.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow94GT

I also have a 94 mustang and that chug and skip your having happens to me but only when iam on the high then the car runs like crap when I get off the highway it has a hard time accelerating and it will chug everytime irelease the clutch any idea what this could be need to get it fixed?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg

I also have a 94 mustang and that chug and skip your having happens to me but only when iam on the high then the car runs like crap when I get off the highway it has a hard time accelerating and it will chug everytime irelease the clutch any idea what this could be need to get it fixed?
Yea, it happens a lot when it's cold. Or when the Rpms get dropped a little too low off of a start.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow94GT

Yea, it happens a lot when it's cold. Or when the Rpms get dropped a little too low off of a start.
Yeaa in the morin it will help and it will buck a little then will go way but when being on the highway for a little i can feel the car start to shake and it will run like crap and then when i get off the highway every time i wanna get going the just doesnt wanna move fast then after some city driing it goes away any ifdeas about that?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've been trying to figure this same thing out for a while. I have a 95 gt that chugs and drops off like that sometimes when I start driving and other times on the highway. Any ideas?

1992 Fox 5.0 S/C 347, The Beast!
1995 GT 5.0 all stock, 168k miles, the beater!
1998 Cobra, Atlantic Blue, 21k orig miles, all original!
Blown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Is y'alls check engine light on when it does that
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Yeaa i no for me my engine light is coming on i could really use the help guys if anyone has any ides
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well u could check your codes and that would atleast get u in thr right direction. If u don't know how look in the useful info in the stickes on this forum
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94gt
Well u could check your codes and that would atleast get u in thr right direction. If u don't know how look in the useful info in the stickes on this forum
Yeaaa i looked it up and its a long complicated mess from what i saw
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Nevertheless you all need to check for CEL codes to point you in the right direction, otherwise you could spend a fortune just throwing parts at it. If you cannot figure out how to run the tests without a scanner, then you will need to buy one or have it scanned at an auto repair shop.

You have to have 3 things for an engine to run correctly, Air, fire & fuel.
You need to ensure that all 3 of those are operational and in the correct quantities where applicable.

So, start browsing the Useful Info thread and testing/cleaning components that could affect your engines in the ways you described.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT