Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Exhaust

Am putting a new exhaust on my lx was wondering what some of you guys prefer I want a real aggressive sound , I have flowmaster with 2 1/2 pipe love the way it sounds just wanted to know if they was something that sounds better , it needs replacing wether I go same route or different
Lou89lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Pypes violators search them on google
Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool I'll check them
Out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas

This is mine at idle.. I have an bookstore and a b303 cam.. Search flowmasters and b303 to hear the difference
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Here's 10 series flows b303

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Exhaust

Here's my choice for you to listen to and they outflow other mufflers, which is why I like them best. For now anyways.

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds awesome mine sounds similar now but no supercharger
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Here's my choice for you to listen to and they outflow other mufflers, which is why I like them best. For now anyways.

+111 bullets ftw! Flowmasters are horrible both in flow and sound.
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s

+111 bullets ftw! Flowmasters are horrible both in flow and sound.
I agree that the dynomax be a better flowing muffler, but I really doubt you can say a 1 chamber muffler is in the same category as the other multiple chamber flows.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I agree that the dynomax be a better flowing muffler, but I really doubt you can say a 1 chamber muffler is in the same category as the other multiple chamber flows.
+1 They are loud!
I run the 2 chamber Flowmasters now and I like the sound very well.
I'm one of the few people who don't mind the drone either.
I want the Dynomax Ultra-Flows simply because they are the highest flowing muffler I can find.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Flowmaster has 1 chamber designs as well and they don't flow either. I currently have 40's on my car right now granted I wouldn't have bought them, nonetheless with the Flowtech long tubes and o/r x the drone was bad after a 2 hour drive on the highway you were deaf for hours afterwards... Switched out the flowtech for BBK longtubes and o/r x and a lot of the drone went away, but there is still some and that's to much. Holley owns Flowtech. Just because you think you "know" what your doing doesn't mean that you do.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s
Flowmaster has 1 chamber designs as well and they don't flow either. I currently have 40's on my car right now granted I wouldn't have bought them, nonetheless with the Flowtech long tubes and o/r x the drone was bad after a 2 hour drive on the highway you were deaf for hours afterwards... Switched out the flowtech for BBK longtubes and o/r x and a lot of the drone went away, but there is still some and that's to much. Holley owns Flowtech. Just because you think you "know" what your doing doesn't mean that you do.
^ lol
Maybe the 1 chamber isn't a top flowing muffler, but its almost a straight through design. I don't see how it woudnt flow. The sound is near that of straight pipes just a hair more mellow.

Sounds like you've been reading way to many internet myths. People always dog the flowmasters and no one ever has proof. I see the logic in the multiple chamber designs not flowing well because the exhaust gases are getting bounced around. But that's not the case in the single chamber. It is nearly a straight through design with a single mitered baffle the doesn't even go all the way across.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s View Post
Ok, I'm confused here. You start off talking about Flowmaster and end up with Flowtech.

I just checked and they are two separate companies, so what does Holley owning Flowtech have to do with Flowmaster mufflers?

I also checked with Flowmaster about flow rates and here is what they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmaster
Many muffler manufacturers advertise, test and rate the performance of their mufflers with the use of a flowbench. The problem with this methodology is that a flowbench produces a steady, low temperature stream of air and lacks the acoustical and thermal dynamics that are produced by an internal combustion engine. Flowmaster designs, tests, and proves it’s products under real world conditions in the dyno cell, at the track and on the road; After all, when was the last time you raced a flowbench?
H'mmm, Maybe my choice of Dynomax for the flow rates is skewed?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I was talking about how they sounded with 2 different setups in front of them. I know their 2 different companies, was just stating that sometimes big business doesn't always know what their talking about.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

also CFM is directly to related to how hp an engine can and will produce, so I would think it's fairly important. heres a link to a 5.0 tech article that tests all the different chambered mufflers. flows aren't the worst but they definitely aren't the best. Oh and they were the ONLY ones to not send a muffler designed for mustang, they sent one designed for an suv...

Ford Mustang Muffler Comparison Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was talking about how they sounded with 2 different setups in front of them. I know their 2 different companies, was just stating that sometimes big business doesn't always know what their talking about.
I see, thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately sometimes that is true. Either that or they withhold the truth.

Quote:
also CFM is directly to related to how hp an engine can and will produce, so I would think it's fairly important. heres a link to a 5.0 tech article that tests all the different chambered mufflers. flows aren't the worst but they definitely aren't the best. Oh and they were the ONLY ones to not send a muffler designed for mustang, they sent one designed for an suv...

Ford Mustang Muffler Comparison Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
That's what I was looking for. I can't tell you how many times I searched and probably missed that article. I'm happy to see the Dynomax's did well too.

Oh well, I still like the sound of mine with them on it. Who knows why they do the things they do?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Road Trip!

I agree, very good article. but My argument was more geared towards the 10 series.

I also belive as flowmaster stated that it isn't all about cfm. Mostly because you have to put exhaust pulse into consideration. The baffles are designed to bounce the pulses.

But anyways This was a very healthy debate and about 75% of my choosing a muffler is according to sound. That is because I believe that most of the time changing a muffler is only gonna be the difference in a few rwhp. So may as well get something that sounds the way you want.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I have MAC and love the sound. It's like nothing else. Plus you can't go wrong with flowmasters. I hate dynomax exhaust. Sounds fake haha. I wish I knew how to post the video from my iPhone of my car sound. People love the sound of my car.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07 View Post
I have MAC and love the sound. It's like nothing else. Plus you can't go wrong with flowmasters. I hate dynomax exhaust. Sounds fake haha. I wish I knew how to post the video from my iPhone of my car sound. People love the sound of my car.
Upload your video to You Tube, open an account if you have to, then you can post a link to it here.

I used to not like the Dynomax sound either, but listen to this -
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

There that should work. I will try doing a better video one of these day of driving it.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07 View Post
---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

There that should work. I will try doing a better video one of these day of driving it.
That sounds good, remarkably similar to my Flowmaster exhaust.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust