Starting the car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Starting the car?

Ever had this before but I have to crank it over 3 times before it starts. I turn the key and just turns over but no start. Turn key off and do it again and nothing. Turn key of and then it starts right up. Almost sounds like its getting no fuel. It's a 86 fuel injected. Fuel pump turns on. Should be an easy fix.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?..how does it run once it's started?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's been a few years. Just been sitting in the garage for a few years. Changing the oil and filter soon. After it start it runs like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Filibuster

Well then I'd go through all the lil tuneup stuff. Then it'll be easier to see if it's a real issue or just a lil tlc needed..
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. Been slowly doing that every night. Thinking its something else though. Just cranks over fast twice and then the third time catches. Nothing major. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I would throw some fuel additive in it also. Maybe the lines are bleeding off fast. But I would do like stevey said and give her a good tuneup. That will probably do the trick.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Filibuster

Ahh good point there bout the fuel additive!...for sure if it's been sittin for a long time.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Starting the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I would throw some fuel additive in it also. Maybe the lines are bleeding off fast. But I would do like stevey said and give her a good tuneup. That will probably do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Ahh good point there bout the fuel additive!...for sure if it's been sittin for a long time.
+2

When that happens it usually means that the check valve in the fuel pump is stuck or bad.
As the guys said, try some fuel additive/cleaner and see if that helps. If not the only alternative is to replace the fuel pump.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well I added fuel stabilizer ad injector cleaner today. We'll see how that works. Thanks for all your info. Hope I don't have to replace my fuel pump anytime soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well the fuel stabilizer didn't work. Ran it through on full take of gas and half way through my 2nd tank. Going to put a new fuel filter in soon because I bet it's never been change. Even though that won't help. Just making me mad and thinking it maybe be more then a fuel pump?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07
Well the fuel stabilizer didn't work. Ran it through on full take of gas and half way through my 2nd tank. Going to put a new fuel filter in soon because I bet it's never been change. Even though that won't help. Just making me mad and thinking it maybe be more then a fuel pump?
You'd be surprised an old clogged fuel filter will definitely cause major fuel issues. And being so cheap is something you should definitely do regardless!.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's my next step. Hope it works or at least helps.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Starting the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07 View Post
That's my next step. Hope it works or at least helps.
It will help your fuel flow, but it won't do anything for your problem. It's fuel pump replacement time.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think I fixed the problem. Check my timing last night and it was at 10 and I jumped it to 12 where I had it set before. Start right up so far. What is a good set time with a mild cam. I see ppl going 14 to 16. 16 seems high.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07
Well I think I fixed the problem. Check my timing last night and it was at 10 and I jumped it to 12 where I had it set before. Start right up so far. What is a good set time with a mild cam. I see ppl going 14 to 16. 16 seems high.
i run 16, and im currently running a bit lean. and i have no detonation. but i wouldnt recommend going that high. i think the reason i can is because my heads, and my setup isnt close to the norm.

i would stick to 12. you can possibly run 14 but will need 93 octane. and even then still listen for detonation/pinging.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. Was planning on running 12 but trying 14 just to see how it works.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I'm just happy it's running right and don't have to change the fuel pump.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Road Trip!

like i said. becareful. once you go 14* and make sure you are running 93. to check for pinging, you need to load the engine. this can be done by putting it in 4th gear and going about 20-25 mph and hitting the accelerator kinda hard. this will load the engine, when pinging will most likely occur.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

im still curious why it was hard starting at 10*. this is the factory setting and shouldnt have affected starting. maybe you have a weak coil also?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
like i said. becareful. once you go 14* and make sure you are running 93. to check for pinging, you need to load the engine. this can be done by putting it in 4th gear and going about 20-25 mph and hitting the accelerator kinda hard. this will load the engine, when pinging will most likely occur.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

im still curious why it was hard starting at 10*. this is the factory setting and shouldnt have affected starting. maybe you have a weak coil also?
I will add when I went a touch too high 15* on my timing the pinging was only present above 4k- with 93 gas. I will add my local gas station is suspect.

If it is hard to start at 10* going higher will/should make it harder to start. Meaning like said above there may be another issues and advancing past 10* will make it harder to troubleshoot the underlying issue.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I will add when I went a touch too high 15* on my timing the pinging was only present above 4k- with 93 gas. I will add my local gas station is suspect.

If it is hard to start at 10* going higher will/should make it harder to start. Meaning like said above there may be another issues and advancing past 10* will make it harder to troubleshoot the underlying issue.
i agree. i would probably do a little troubleshooting first. i would suspect weak spark. then next fuel pressure.

i went to 16* and never noticed a bit of pinging. then i hooked my wideband up and notice i had almost 17:1 a/f ratio. so between those 2 things i dont know how i could get away with so much timing. but i think the trickflows fancy combustion chambers help. and maybe the full msd setup might help to. idk but i was thinking about(after i get the a/f tamed) bumping it up some more, just to see what i can get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT