Urgent help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Urgent help!

I have a 89 Gt.. My starter stays cranking..I changed the solenoid three times from dealership and the starter twice..something is burning up the solenoid..but from what they told me I dont have a short.. I'll appreciate the help I been dealing with this for months already.. Thanks!!
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Replace the ignition switch. Not the key cylinder, but the switch on the column There was a known problem with Ford cars and trucks actually catching fire from faulty switches in the mid 90's. There was actually recalls on them. The switch is inexpensive. You may have to work to remove he screws though, as they had a special one that snapped the head off from the factory for theft deterrent. New one may come with security torx screws. If you need the bits, harbor freight sells a kit with them. HTH!
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006
Replace the ignition switch. Not the key cylinder, but the switch on the column There was a known problem with Ford cars and trucks actually catching fire from faulty switches in the mid 90's. There was actually recalls on them. The switch is inexpensive. You may have to work to remove he screws though, as they had a special one that snapped the head off from the factory for theft deterrent. New one may come with security torx screws. If you need the bits, harbor freight sells a kit with them. HTH!
My bad I forget that..I also changed the ignition switch..I pretty much did everything I could think of.. Still does.. I have a f150 battery..someone said that can be a maybe problem.. Idk..I wouldn't think so cuz I had that battery for years..and had no problem with it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
You have basically changed all the parts possible. It has to be a short. When it happens see if the small wire on the silinoid has 12 volts. If it does when your not pushing the key forward then trace that wire with visual and schematics.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
No no.. The abindex is getting hung on the flywheel easy fix..

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Google the bendix spring.. I bet a $100 thats it my old car had the same problem.. I thought it was my torque converter going out..
Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
No no.. The abindex is getting hung on the flywheel easy fix..

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Google the bendix spring.. I bet a $100 thats it my old car had the same problem.. I thought it was my torque converter going out..
He said he replaced the whple starter.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Then it's the ignition switch is hung. It doesn't make since..
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I changed everything possible that I can think that had to do with the starter system.. Ignition switch, starter, solenoid..thats why I don't know what it is..
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Urgent help!

For some reason you are over amping the solenoids and welding the contacts together.

1. Your battery cables could be bad or to small.
2. You grounds could be dirty and not making good contact or they are incorrectly sized or installed improperly.
3. The solenoids you are using are junk, try a better quality if they are suspect.
4. The ignition switch is sticking causing the starter to stay engaged.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco
Yeah I changed everything possible that I can think that had to do with the starter system.. Ignition switch, starter, solenoid..thats why I don't know what it is..
I would start with my original suggestion.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Dream stang: I'll try that out..their lending me a voltage meter today so I'll check that up..

Trojan Horse..yes thats exactly what the guy ay the dealer ship told me..am changing the battery cables and the stater one.. The solenoid I got the one from the dealer ship.. I'll check up on the switch again..I'll see..incase I do all this stuff and out stol doesn't work..is their any other opinions or options to do?? Thank you guys!!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Yeah search for a bad ground or a short..
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I mentioned that I have a f150 battery and someone told me that might be the problem since every car has its own battery that its suppose to have and that the battery that I have is bigger that it might be sending more power than what its suppost to..whats your guys opinion..I checked everything this weekend and same problem continues.. :/
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco
I mentioned that I have a f150 battery and someone told me that might be the problem since every car has its own battery that its suppose to have and that the battery that I have is bigger that it might be sending more power than what its suppost to..whats your guys opinion..I checked everything this weekend and same problem continues.. :/
imo its probably not an issue. people upgrade there batteries all the time.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
imo its probably not an issue. people upgrade there batteries all the time.
That's not the problem. A 12V battery will not send more power than it is supposed to. You can use any 12V battery and the only issue you will run into is that if you use one that is way to small it won't have enough cranking amperage to start the engine. Using a larger cranking amp battery won't hurt anything. I routinely run a 900-1000 CCA battery in my car with no ill effects.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's not the problem. A 12V battery will not send more power than it is supposed to. You can use any 12V battery and the only issue you will run into is that if you use one that is way to small it won't have enough cranking amperage to start the engine. Using a larger cranking amp battery won't hurt anything. I routinely run a 900-1000 CCA battery in my car with no ill effects.
Oh ok..well than I dont know..I can't say am giving up on it but its going to the electricians..a have up on fixing and replacing anything I can.. :/ was saving that money for new intake manifold.. Thanks for the help guys..I appreciate it..
Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Oh ok..well than I dont know..I can't say am giving up on it but its going to the electricians..a have up on fixing and replacing anything I can.. :/ was saving that money for new intake manifold.. Thanks for the help guys..I appreciate it..
If you want to try one last thing, get us some detailed pics of the solenoid, starter and wiring attachments. Maybe we can see the issue that way.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I would pull out the starter also and inspect it
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well I took it to my friend whose an electrician..I guess I was missing some ground wires to the body, not the motor..he just put couple of wires and I haven't had no problem.. : D hopefully it was that.. Thanks guys for all the help..
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well I took it to my friend whose an electrician..I guess I was missing some ground wires to the body, not the motor..he just put couple of wires and I haven't had no problem.. : D hopefully it was that.. Thanks guys for all the help..
That will do it. You are lucky you didn't fry the ECU.

The body and frame grounds are really important to ensure the ECU and all of your lights and other accessories work properly. Without the proper grounding the electricity will sometimes back feed through components seeking a ground and that can really cause a boatload of failures and issues.

Glad you got it fixed before it caused any further problems.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah.. Right the next say I started checking all the wires and checking that they were tight..thanks . : D
Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
No thats not true,,you can have a 2000 cca battery,,its still 12 volts,,and your starter only pulls whats needed,,If you have a 200 amp starter it will only pull 200 amps it doesnt matter what kind of battery or how big it is,,as long as is 12 volts..Now if you undersize the battery then you would have problems,,i betcha like trojon said its a ground problem..

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
No thats not true,,you can have a 2000 cca battery,,its still 12 volts,,and your starter only pulls whats needed,,If you have a 200 amp starter it will only pull 200 amps it doesnt matter what kind of battery or how big it is,,as long as is 12 volts..Now if you undersize the battery then you would have problems,,i betcha like trojon said its a ground problem..
oops i didnt read all of the tread,,never mind..lol..glad you got it fix
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

oops i didnt read all of the tread,,never mind..lol..glad you got it fix
Lol..no problem..thanks though..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT