Transmission fluid leaking from U-joint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Transmission fluid leaking from U-joint?

Is it possible to leak trans fluid from the u joint in the driveshaft yoke? See photo attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_192824.png
Views:	3635
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	67761
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow
Is it possible to leak trans fluid from the u joint in the driveshaft yoke? See photo attached.
its the reddish colored seal you see in the pic.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's not really that wet around the slip yoke but its still dripping through the u joint. Is it possible its leaking through the inside of the slip yoke? Broken weld or pin hole possibly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
It's not really that wet around the slip yoke but its still dripping through the u joint. Is it possible its leaking through the inside of the slip yoke? Broken weld or pin hole possibly?
ive never heard of that. but i never really paid attention to how the yolk was made
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It figures I got my aod swapped out and now I developed an oil pan leak and a tailshaft seal leak. :/
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!

yeah, its always something!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If its the seal, would it still be leaking even while sitting in my garage?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
If its the seal, would it still be leaking even while sitting in my garage?
its possible. but may have a better chance of leaking under acceleration.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I will change it out and see what happens. How much has to leak out before risking damage to the tranny? First time with a t5. I want to make sure I can get it about 25 miles or so.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
I guess I will change it out and see what happens. How much has to leak out before risking damage to the tranny? First time with a t5. I want to make sure I can get it about 25 miles or so.
It only holds about 2.8 quarts. So I would think a quart is to much. But if its still comong out of the tailshaft, its probably got enough to make a drive. Just be careful, if it starts getting hard to shift abort mission
Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. It's depressing cuz all I did was drive it home and didn't even get to have fun with it yet. I should have changed the seal out to begin with.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks. It's depressing cuz all I did was drive it home and didn't even get to have fun with it yet. I should have changed the seal out to begin with.
your welcome and good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Region: Georgia
There is also a bushing in the tailshaft that will make it leak
87fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The seal was replaced today but its still leaking. Maybe its the bushing but I'm not sure. Also the oil pan leak got worse. It might be sitting for awhile now. It's making me want to drive it off a cliff right about now.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
The seal was replaced today but its still leaking. Maybe its the bushing but I'm not sure. Also the oil pan leak got worse. It might be sitting for awhile now. It's making me want to drive it off a cliff right about now.
Man that sux. hopefully you get her fixed.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I don't get it. The new seal is completely dry on the outside of it so I don't think it is leaking from between the tailshaft and seal. That should eliminate a cracked tail shaft. It's no longer leaking while just sitting so now I'm baffled. I know its spinning off the u joint because its all over the driveshaft tunnel and under the floor boards. Also, I checked my motor oil and its way over filled, I'm sure that didn't help the gasket out very much.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: trans fluid leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
I don't get it. The new seal is completely dry on the outside of it so I don't think it is leaking from between the tailshaft and seal. That should eliminate a cracked tail shaft. It's no longer leaking while just sitting so now I'm baffled. I know its spinning off the u joint because its all over the driveshaft tunnel and under the floor boards. Also, I checked my motor oil and its way over filled, I'm sure that didn't help the gasket out very much.
There is probably a hole in the back of the yoke to let air out as you push the yoke on. If it is leaking through that hole and onto the U-joint then there may be a problem with some internal seals and it is likely the yoke itself is worn allowing the trans fluid to pass through between it and the output shaft.

If your engine oil is overfilled and you did not accidently overfill it you need to check for fuel or coolant in the oil pan. An overfilled crankcase can also damage seals and gaskets from over pressurization when the engine heats up.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

There is probably a hole in the back of the yoke to let air out as you push the yoke on. If it is leaking through that hole and onto the U-joint then there may be a problem with some internal seals and it is likely the yoke itself is worn allowing the trans fluid to pass through between it and the output shaft.

If your engine oil is overfilled and you did not accidently overfill it you need to check for fuel or coolant in the oil pan. An overfilled crankcase can also damage seals and gaskets from over pressurization when the engine heats up.
This is the info we needed. ^
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
This is the info we needed. ^
Late to the party as usual.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The oil was just changed today because I wanted to put conventional in cuz I heard the synthetic would make the leak worse. The filter was not changed because it only had 200 miles on it so its most likely because 5 quarts were put back in with the filter already being full and the front sump may not have been drained. I asked my buddy who replaced the seal for me about the possibility of the hole in the yoke but he didn't think that was the problem but this was an aluminum driveshaft that came from another car so maybe I should try to put my old driveshaft back on and check.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Just look at the yoke and see if there is a hole in the center of it. There either is or the fluid is running down the outside of the yoke to the U-joint.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
my car does the same thing. and it's not everytime the car is parked. just at random. brought it to the ford dealership and it's still happening. idk
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabau2012 View Post
my car does the same thing. and it's not everytime the car is parked. just at random. brought it to the ford dealership and it's still happening. idk
It leaks fluid like his is doing?
I honestly think it may be an internal seal or bushing.
How many miles are on your car?

What transmissions are in both of your cars?
I'm going to see if I can find an exploded view of them so maybe we can determine what it is.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The thing that baffled me was because even with the old seal, I didn't see a stream of fluid running down the outside of the yoke but the u joint had a constant drip. That's why I was wondering about the slip yoke. This is what the new seal looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_071320.png
Views:	2285
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	68136
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

It leaks fluid like his is doing?
I honestly think it may be an internal seal or bushing.
How many miles are on your car?

What transmissions are in both of your cars?
I'm going to see if I can find an exploded view of them so maybe we can determine what it is.
67,000. I have an auto. the delearship serviced the transmission changed the seal everything and idk. but it's bout the size of quarters when it leaks and it's not everytime I drive either sooooo
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I just swapped in a t5 but I don't think the transmission leaked for the previous owner.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

The t5 and used driveshaft and yoke were installed together. I'm thinking its easier to try my other driveshaft that didn't leak with my aod first to eliminate the yoke as the issue before ripping into the trans unnecessarily.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Ok, I did a good bit of research and it boils down to the tailshaft bushing and seal being the main causes of the problem. If you have replaced the seal and it still leaks, then the issue is likely the bushing. In some cases the bushing will spin and move rearward preventing the seal from being installed properly. The other possibility is that the slip yoke on the driveshaft is damaged in the seal area.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, I did a good bit of research and it boils down to the tailshaft bushing and seal being the main causes of the problem. If you have replaced the seal and it still leaks, then the issue is likely the bushing. In some cases the bushing will spin and move rearward preventing the seal from being installed properly. The other possibility is that the slip yoke on the driveshaft is damaged in the seal area.
Thanks. I read the same thing when I was researching. I'm praying its the yoke instead of the bushing.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The inner seal is leaking not the outer
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

By inner seal I'm assuming u mean the bushing. I should be able to tell if the bushing is bad if there is a lot of play in the yoke right?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
The inner seal is leaking not the outer
Didn't see any inner seal, only bushings in the exploded drawings?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Didn't see any inner seal, only bushings in the exploded drawings?
The red seal at the of the trans doesn't hold in fluid it more of a protection seal dust dirt and so on

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote:
By inner seal I'm assuming u mean the bushing. I should be able to tell if the bushing is bad if there is a lot of play in the yoke right?
Yes it will have play in it if its bad if you have to replace it also measure the shaft to see if it doesn't have excessive wear. or just buy a bottle of trans seal it expanse the bushing sometime lol. Or break fluid but i wouldn't recommend it. It a old trick ive never tried it personally because it only hide the problem. Dealerships do it if they have leaks. Well stealership lol.
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
The red seal at the of the trans doesn't hold in fluid it more of a protection seal dust dirt and so on.
Yes, but it also should hold back any fluid that gets past the bushings.
I didn't see any other "seals" though, just the bushings. The remainder of the seals I saw are farther up inside the transmission.

I read a lot of articles and they all said that if the seal did not stop the fluid, then the bushings were the culprit and in every case once they were replaced the leaking stopped.

I would not use that crap that swells up the seals. The problem with it is that it swells up every seal and will lead to eventual transmission failure from internal seal damage.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Before replacing the bushing in the tail shaft, I'm going to try a different yoke to make 100% certain its not that. Question is if my stock aod driveshaft and yoke will work with the t5?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
Before replacing the bushing in the tail shaft, I'm going to try a different yoke to make 100% certain its not that. Question is if my stock aod driveshaft and yoke will work with the t5?
Not sure there may be a slip yoke and length difference.
I know the manual trans uses the same slip yoke as an old C6, but I don't know what the AOD uses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT