MAF Sensor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
MAF Sensor

Quick question about my MAF sensor. I bought a new C&L 76 mm calibrated for 24 lbs injectors. I also upgraded to 24 lbs injectors. The instructions say to just take the old MAF sensor off and put in in the new C&L body. But my question is that the old sensor is the stock one for 19 lbs injectors. Is this right or do I need to by a new sensor also. The new C&L did not have the electronic sensor. If so what do I need and what's it called or a part number will work. Thanks for anyone's input.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm fairly positive that the sensor dosent have a injector calibration. Maybe one of the vets of the forum will hop on here and confirm or reject me though...lol!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You will get better results with the rite mas
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I thought I read somewhere that actual sensor didn't have a calibration. This info helps me also because I was fixing to do a similar mod.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

American muscle part # 98417
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I searched that part number and it came up with the housing. (actual maf meter) I thought he was talking about the actual sensor. Confused...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
I searched that part number and it came up with the housing. (actual maf meter) I thought he was talking about the actual sensor. Confused...
My bad part# sum-29051b-c
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: MAF Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe View Post
Quick question about my MAF sensor. I bought a new C&L 76 mm calibrated for 24 lbs injectors. I also upgraded to 24 lbs injectors. The instructions say to just take the old MAF sensor off and put in in the new C&L body. But my question is that the old sensor is the stock one for 19 lbs injectors. Is this right or do I need to by a new sensor also. The new C&L did not have the electronic sensor. If so what do I need and what's it called or a part number will work. Thanks for anyone's input.
The C&L uses different sized sampling tubes for different size injectors. You use your sensor and they give you a sensor housing and sampling tube to match your injectors.
What you have will work, however they are said to be inferior to other MAFs. I would use an ABACO MAF myself as they can be reprogrammed from a laptop or desktop PC to any injector size you may ever need. The words above, ABACO MAF are a link to their website.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for clearing that up Trojan. Because I also had the C&L on my parts list! Scratch that...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Would Pro-M be a good choice Trojan? I really don't plan on going any higher than 24lb injectors. And just to be clear: the actual maf meter (tube) is what's calibrated. The sensor is not right?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
Would Pro-M be a good choice Trojan? I really don't plan on going any higher than 24lb injectors. And just to be clear: the actual maf meter (tube) is what's calibrated. The sensor is not right?
Here is what I have learned from research:

The abaco is the best because you can tune it to whatever injectors you have by yourself.

The pro-m will work but if you ever decide to change injectors you will have to send it in to be recalibrated.

From what I have heard they are both better than the c & l ones because they pretty much "trick" the ecu with the sample tubes.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cool man. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone, I just need to figure out what to do. C&L has not called me back yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck on your add ons man. As I stated before: the actual sensor has no calibration. I did not know that the C&L used sample tubes for injector size though. We both learned something!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, I think I'm going to buy a complete bbk MAF. I maybe out 160.00 though. I have a friend bringing out his MAF cal for 24lbs. to see if that is my problem. This is a new 331 stroked bottom with big heads, x cam, 24lbs injectors, and performer intake. Just fired it up and it will not idle and is just not right. So I think its the MAF, so well see.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Try to update what you find out for my benefit, and others on the forum. Sounds like you have a beast of a motor. Hope it works for you bud! +5.0
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I will do. Here is a couple of pics. I'm pretty proud of it myself. I powder coated a lot of the stuff myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3168320358.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	635.4 KB
ID:	68291   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3767662384.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	68292  

Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a better shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3179618757.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	635.4 KB
ID:	68293  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Looks real nice man! Good job on the detail!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks !!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback View Post
Pro-M's are ok, but not my choice these days. Back in the day, they were one of the best to be had though.

No, on all other MAFs the meter is calibrated, it is just the C&L meters that use the sampling tube to trick the ECU. From what I have read over the years it does work, just not as well as a programmed MAF.

The best way is to have the ECU programming air and fuel tables changed as all aftermarket over sized MAFs are actually "tricking" the ECU into thinking the MAF's airflow and the injector size are correct. However, that is very difficult to do with our older ECUs, so tricking the ECU is usually the best and most cost efficient for us.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ok update, my friend came out and we put in a new mass air sensor in the C&L and unhooked the negative able to clear the code. When the motor started is missing and dying it through a check engine light. Later we started the motor and let it run for 15 minutes and warm up to temp. Through a check engine light and started all over again. Switched to a Pro-M MAF calibrated for 24lbs injectors cleared code again and started. This time ran for 30 minutes and ran fine, not a problem. But did find another one on the cooling side. The radiator when the cap is off it belches out water. It does not seem to be circulating but that will be another post of I can't figure it out.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Is the car on jack stands? Sounds like it might have an air bubble in the lines to me. When this happened to me, my car was on stands. Took it off stands and let it cool off and fired it back up to running temp. It cleared the air pocket. Or maybe try disconnecting the lower hose and let some run out? Glad to hear you go to listen to it growl for a bit though!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Oh it sounds pretty good now just debugging. No its not on stands it's standing on its own. My friend thinks maybe the napa store ordered the wrong water pump and it's pumping backwards ( counter clock wise)The car is supposed to have a reverse drive pump. But I can't find any numbers to check. He said the 94-95 had 5.0's with pumps that turned clock wise. So I'll know more tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I think I said that wrong but everyone should know what I'm trying to stay. I don't have Internet at my house. I live to far away from civilization. So I'm doing this on my phone lol !!!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe
Oh it sounds pretty good now just debugging. No its not on stands it's standing on its own. My friend thinks maybe the napa store ordered the wrong water pump and it's pumping backwards ( counter clock wise)The car is supposed to have a reverse drive pump. But I can't find any numbers to check. He said the 94-95 had 5.0's with pumps that turned clock wise. So I'll know more tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I think I said that wrong but everyone should know what I'm trying to stay. I don't have Internet at my house. I live to far away from civilization. So I'm doing this on my phone lol !!!
it is possible to have a backwards pump. pre 86 (i think) also spun clockwise because they had a v belt design instead of serpentine.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason we think it's pumping the wrong way is I can't see the water circulating. If I take the radiator cap off and raise the idle a little the water raises from the bottom and burps out about 2 to 3 quarts of water and let the engine idle and it goes back down. Fill it back up and it burps it back out again. It runs at 190 and even goes down to 180 when you raise the idle but burps the water back out.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
The only reason we think it's pumping the wrong way is I can't see the water circulating. If I take the radiator cap off and raise the idle a little the water raises from the bottom and burps out about 2 to 3 quarts of water and let the engine idle and it goes back down. Fill it back up and it burps it back out again. It runs at 190 and even goes down to 180 when you raise the idle but burps the water back out.
sounds to me like thats your problem.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

The water pump should turn counter clockwise (opposite the direction the engine turns) and if it is the wrong pump it will not circulate the water because the vanes on the impeller are facing the wrong way. It will also cavitate the coolant aerating it causing it to constantly burp water and air. If there are no numbers on the pump to identify it, maybe you have the receipt and can tell from that? If not, removing it and looking at the impeller is the only way to tell for sure.

Also, a blown head gasket can cause them to burp water and air too. Let's hope that is not the issue.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I hope not. Going to do a compression tests tomorrow to hopefully rule that out.

New MAF on order also should be here tomorrow. Then going to check water pump, may just pull it and see which way the impellers are going.

I checked with napa today and they said they show the water pump I have and it's a standard rotation water pump. I advised, but I needed a reverse rotation. The guy said if its a reverse rotation then thats the standard rotation for that model. Now I'm confused and left. Does anyone else think different or agree with me. I found both water pumps on Jegs website, and you can't tell the different between the both. Anyone know how to tell the by the impellers.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
I hope not. Going to do a compression tests tomorrow to hopefully rule that out.

New MAF on order also should be here tomorrow. Then going to check water pump, may just pull it and see which way the impellers are going.

I checked with napa today and they said they show the water pump I have and it's a standard rotation water pump. I advised, but I needed a reverse rotation. The guy said if its a reverse rotation then thats the standard rotation for that model. Now I'm confused and left. Does anyone else think different or agree with me. I found both water pumps on Jegs website, and you can't tell the different between the both. Anyone know how to tell the by the impellers.
you can tell just by looking. the blades will push the water. so by whatever side the blades are on. if its to tricky, try a google image search of both types.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ok update, UPS showed up and received my MAF and a happy surprise my bbk 255 also came. So took off the neutral cable and replaced fuel pump with the 255. Installed the MAF and fired it up. Let it heat up to normal temp and e everything seems to be good. No codes, idles fine. I set the fuel pressure buy removing the vacuum and set at 38 to 39 and hooked up the vacuum. Does that sound right. At at an idle it's running at 35 if I unhook the vacuum it goes back to 38 to 39 ? I let it run for 30 minutes and it didn't die or dip anything. I think the timing can be tweaked a little.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. That's perfect on fuel pressure. I've read that you can advance timing up to 14btdc but you must run premium gas to prevent detonation. (Ford specs is 10.) Mine is set at 12 with no problems. Glad it all worked out for you man!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks !!!! Ya I'll work on the timing tomorrow. The motor at idle has a lot of shaking maybe the cam ? I just expected a little smoother idle from an X-Cam.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Lol. Maw that's a pretty choppy cam my while car shakes with my b303.. But I also have prothane motor mounts.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe View Post
Thanks !!!! Ya I'll work on the timing tomorrow. The motor at idle has a lot of shaking maybe the cam ? I just expected a little smoother idle from an X-Cam.
Here's an audio (sorry no pics) of my car idling with the x cam.
It does not shake the car much at all.

5.0 X303 Cam

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT