Any advice for wire tracing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Any advice for wire tracing?

Am trying to figure out if a wire coming from the computer is bad any ideas on how to go about this. The reason why I ask is because I noticed one of the wires from the computer runs through the clutch safety switch to the map sensor, throttle positioning sensor, intake air temperature sensor and a few more. All these sensor are setting off engine codes and I know they all worked because the engine was pulled and put into a non rust bucket lol. Before the engine was pulled they all worked so I believe it is a problem in the wiring harness. Just have no clue how to go and trace it.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Also I have checked the grounds and everything is ok so that is why I believe it's a wire problem. My battery is also located in the rear.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Any advice for wire tracing?

Use a Chiltons manual with the wiring diagrams, observe the wire color, match and follow it through the diagrams to see where it goes.

If your harness is from a different car or even the same car with a different transmission there will be wiring differences. Differences in the O2 wiring especially can cause problems. The auto and manual trans O2 sensor wiring is different, so you will need to match the harness for the transmission you are using.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll double check that but the tranny came out of the same car the engine did and the mustang has always been a manual. The other thing is that the engine and tranny are from a 1990 and the new mustang is a 1992 also it has always been a v8 car. I was also wondering if a faulty cliche safety switch would cause the car to start but prohibit the power to be sent out to the other sensors? In the chitons manual it seems that's where the power wire first starts after the computer. I'll see if I can find a picture to show you what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain. Thanks TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Any advice for wire tracing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Ok I'll double check that but the tranny came out of the same car the engine did and the mustang has always been a manual. The other thing is that the engine and tranny are from a 1990 and the new mustang is a 1992 also it has always been a v8 car. I was also wondering if a faulty cliche safety switch would cause the car to start but prohibit the power to be sent out to the other sensors? In the chitons manual it seems that's where the power wire first starts after the computer. I'll see if I can find a picture to show you what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain. Thanks TH
I don't think it could do that, but who knows for sure.
Look in the Useful Info thread for Very Useful and Old Fuel Injection links.
Go to those sites and try to find an EECIV pinout for the year ECU you have.
That should help you determine which wires do what and which one(s) may be responsible for your issues.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Finally have some good news!!! I ended up taking the car to a shop that specializes in mustangs because I had no time. They said that there was some bad relays and very poor connection points causing the harness to short and fry the computer (they fried 3 computers trying to fix it). Anyways though I go to pick it up tomorrow. So excited to finally have her back home where she belongs. Thanks again for all the help. Now I put it away for the winter . But she be on the raid in spring!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT