Short Shifter preferences? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Short Shifter preferences?

So, I want to get a short shifter for my 1994 GT. Any thoughts on those cheapo ones on eBay??
sam13708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i have a cheap ebay shifter. and i absolutely hate it. whenever i get around to it i will be getting a pro 5.0
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for the Info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Honestly, are they worth the 150 somethin dollars or so? I mean is it a good place to invest money into the car compared to other upgrades? Just askin cause I was thinkin about lookin into short throws as well
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox
Honestly, are they worth the 150 somethin dollars or so? I mean is it a good place to invest money into the car compared to other upgrades? Just askin cause I was thinkin about lookin into short throws as well
after using a cheapo i 100% believe the investment is worth it.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Filibuster

Yeah I'd rather stick with a stock shifter than have a cheapy one I'd be more likely to miss a gear with.
pro 5.0 or mgw would be the two I would choose from.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Why is the pro 5.0 short throw so much more sought after than the steeda tri-ax? I mean the pro 5.0 does look considerably stronger but very generic, while on the other hand, the tri-ax has steeda known quality. They are about the same price, so whats the deal breaker?
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #8

Region: Minnesota
I get all my stuff off of American Muscle.com. Last time I looked for one on there, they were $60. But at the same time, a guy I used to work with has a foxbody and says he has gone through 2 transmissions since he got it. I dunno if that's because he doesn't know how to drive or short throws aren't as good as they say.
5.0_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Short Shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Why is the pro 5.0 short throw so much more sought after than the steeda tri-ax? I mean the pro 5.0 does look considerably stronger but very generic, while on the other hand, the tri-ax has steeda known quality. They are about the same price, so whats the deal breaker?
In the end, "There can be only one!"

The Pro 5.0 is engineered to last, mine is over 10 years old and no problems with it ever.

You want a good shifter with stops to keep you from bending the shifting forks and one that will help keep you from missing third gear? Get the Pro 5.0.

If you want a lesser quality shifter that just looks good and is not as strong or reliable, get something else.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

In the end, "There can be only one!"

The Pro 5.0 is engineered to last, mine is over 10 years old and no problems with it ever.

You want a good shifter with stops to keep you from bending the shifting forks and one that will help keep you from missing third gear? Get the Pro 5.0.

If you want a lesser quality shifter that just looks good and is not as strong or reliable, get something else.
Exactly. Mine looks good. It has a adjustable side springs and stops. But even with all that the shift are really hard. And I know its not the trans because I have used it on 2 different transmissions. I don't miss any shifts, I just wish it were more crisp.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Exactly. Mine looks good. It has a adjustable side springs and stops. But even with all that the shift are really hard. And I know its not the trans because I have used it on 2 different transmissions. I don't miss any shifts, I just wish it were more crisp.
But is it better than stock?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Not really. Waiste of $ imo
Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I used a Hurst shifter on my old 95 and my 87 and loved it.. That said I would recommend the Pro 5.0 or Hurst over any of the countless shifters I've rowed gears with.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Watch eBay. I've seen a few tri-axes and pro 5.0 on there go for a hundred, sometimes less. Just be patient. Everytime I see one I don't have money, go figure.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
Watch eBay. I've seen a few tri-axes and pro 5.0 on there go for a hundred, sometimes less. Just be patient. Everytime I see one I don't have money, go figure.
Craigslist as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
But is it better than stock?
So much better, I go from my car with a pro 5.0 to a stock shifter and I absolutely hate the stock one
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Does your trans use gear oil or auto trans fluid?
If it uses auto trans fluid, try the (you have no idea how much it hurts for me to say this )....GM Synchromesh fluid. From what I have read it improves performance and shifting.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

Does your trans use gear oil or auto trans fluid?
If it uses auto trans fluid, try the (you have no idea how much it hurts for me to say this )....GM Synchromesh fluid. From what I have read it improves performance and shifting.
Mine is a wc so it takes auto trans fluid. I have heard that trick. Maybe I will try it one day.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have the steeda tri ax and i think it's the best mod I've done. More precise and positive. I also like a buddies mgw shifter but prefer the notchineness of my tri ax. I had an economy shifter from AM and honestly I liked it. But it definitely was a very short throw and very very notchy and almost hard to shift in the winter when you swap the stiffer springs in.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I have the steeda tri ax and i think it's the best mod I've done. More precise and positive. I also like a buddies mgw shifter but prefer the notchineness of my tri ax. I had an economy shifter from AM and honestly I liked it. But it definitely was a very short throw and very very notchy and almost hard to shift in the winter when you swap the stiffer springs in.
You know what, I have experienced the notchiness too with my Pro 5.0 and I don't like it much. I have frequently wondered as to its exact cause. Maybe some day I or one of us will have the chance to investigate this issue closely and come up with a cure. I can't help but think that maybe some grinding and polishing or other mechanical changes might cure the problem and I believe if a solution is found, that it may be worth some coin to the discoverer. I know I would pay a reasonable price to cure it in my transmission.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You know what, I have experienced the notchiness too with my Pro 5.0 and I don't like it much. I have frequently wondered as to its exact cause. Maybe some day I or one of us will have the chance to investigate this issue closely and come up with a cure. I can't help but think that maybe some grinding and polishing or other mechanical changes might cure the problem and I believe if a solution is found, that it may be worth some coin to the discoverer. I know I would pay a reasonable price to cure it in my transmission.
I like that notchy feeling. It's positive and you always know just when you nail a shift. And you never end up wondering if your really in gear or which gear your in. I like a tight box haha
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I like that notchy feeling. It's positive and you always know just when you nail a shift. And you never end up wondering if your really in gear or which gear your in. I like a tight box haha
But of course with a statement like that I can only agree with you.

However I would prefer my shifting to be buttery smooth with positive gear engagement. Less damage to the box that way too.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But of course with a statement like that I can only agree with you.

However I would prefer my shifting to be buttery smooth with positive gear engagement. Less damage to the box that way too.
The smoothness comes from how nicely everything is set up. How the clutch is, shift fork, quadrant. Then even trans mounts and just how well the shifter is mounted. Don't get me wrong. The steeda I have is smooth. But you can't stir it from the H pattern much.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I have hurst short throws in my 92 and my 95. I've never had any problems from either of them, and for 150 bucks or whatever they are I think its definitely a good investment. In my experience especially with car parts, you usually get what you pay for.
Blown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The smoothness comes from how nicely everything is set up. How the clutch is, shift fork, quadrant. Then even trans mounts and just how well the shifter is mounted. Don't get me wrong. The steeda I have is smooth. But you can't stir it from the H pattern much.
Yeah, my clutch and stuff are perfect, it's the transmissions that have that notchy feel to me and every one I have ever driven with all types of shifters and clutch combos, just feel a lot rougher than the old external linkage transmissions used to. I used to use the old Hurst Competition Plus on those old top loader 4-speeds and with that external linkage it was relatively easy to dial in the smooth precise shifts with linkage adjustments and bushings. With the internal linkage, that's much more difficult to do. Nowadays a "shifter" is basically just an extension of the handle. All the "linkage" is inside and not conducive to adjustment.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I'm leaning more towards the Hurst shirt shifters, but the pro 5.0 def sounds like its the most popular.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
What's a good shifter for the tremec transmission? I hear you can't use most of the ones you mention. I had hurst short shifter in my other mustang but loved it and hated it. Nice tight shift but not good for power shifting and seemed to wreck my 2nd gear in 2 of my stock trannies. May have been the way I had it set up.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Am I the only one with a MGW..? Lol
Georgia331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: Short Shifter preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia331 View Post
Am I the only one with a MGW..? Lol
No, I'm sure you are not.

Tell us of your experiences and opinion of it?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, I'm sure you are not.

Tell us of your experiences and opinion of it?
I like it. I have a Gforce t5 with 50/50 Honda manual fluid (you think I'm crazy but it's the best stuff out there) and redline d4 synthetic aft....its all adjustable and made of billet pieces. I like it but some times it feels like it wants to bend on it self but that's because I was trying to slam it into gear and it was blocking me out. And party due to the fact that I have the arm raised all the way up. I also got rid of the stock ford square shift knob so that will help also...I'm installing it today and will keep y'all posted...otherwise it's a great shifter
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I like it. I have a Gforce t5 with 50/50 Honda manual fluid (you think I'm crazy but it's the best stuff out there) and redline d4 synthetic aft....its all adjustable and made of billet pieces. I like it but some times it feels like it wants to bend on it self but that's because I was trying to slam it into gear and it was blocking me out. And party due to the fact that I have the arm raised all the way up. I also got rid of the stock ford square shift knob so that will help also...I'm installing it today and will keep y'all posted...otherwise it's a great shifter
The bending or possible breaking of the aluminum 90 degree offset in the handle is what always concerned me. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The bending or possible breaking of the aluminum 90 degree offset in the handle is what always concerned me. Let us know how it goes.
Yeah me too. I like it though. Very precise shifts. Very solid. I will make a video review of it if anyone wants one
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah me too. I like it though. Very precise shifts. Very solid. I will make a video review of it if anyone wants one
You could do that here for anyone who is considering a shifter change.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You could do that here for anyone who is considering a shifter change.
+1!
Good idea

1992 Fox 5.0 S/C 347, The Beast!
1995 GT 5.0 all stock, 168k miles, the beater!
1998 Cobra, Atlantic Blue, 21k orig miles, all original!
Blown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-852535742.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	69189

Here is my MGW before putting the console back on. I had a B&M and this blows it away!
Iluvmy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT