95 GT 5.4L Engine Swap Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
95 GT 5.4L Engine Swap Questions

Some might know I've been planning to prep a 351w for my car for some time now. I have a 5.4L van motor(E-250) available to me for nothing. It has 200k+ miles and will need a rebuild of course.
I have a few questions regarding this swap.

1. Wiring and ECU? Use the vans or is there a better option?

2. Trans options? 5-6 speed or auto? Open to both.

3. K -member? Can I use 96-04, or do i need an aftermarket one?

4. I'm sure mods will have to be made to the cooling system as well?

5. Exhaust.. Options?

Any insight into these things would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are things I'm sure I'm over looking, tips and advice are welcome!

Thanks,
Ed
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there.
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there.
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up.
I know lots about the 351w swap, I'm looking for info on the 5.4L mod motor swap!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I know lots about the 351w swap, I'm looking for info on the 5.4L mod motor swap!
Oh darn, I guess I misread that buddy.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Oh darn, I guess I misread that buddy.
Np bro! It's the thought that counts!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Np bro! It's the thought that counts!
Well hopefully someone else has some input. I haven't heard of to many people doing this swap. And it sounds pretty cool to me. I would bet that cam is more setup for low end since its basically a truck motor.

I remembered that you wanted to do a 351 swap so I had it in my head that's the info your looking for. good luck though buddy.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article
That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)
I wasnt aware how old it was lol i was searching modular motor swaps in foxes a while back and came acrossed it but i cant find it now!
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
From what I've heard about this swap you will need the k member from a 99-04 , ecu and wiring, a cowl hood even with the k member, and the hydro boost brake set up or you can covert to manual brakes, you could probably get away with mid length headers, and if its going to be a strip-street car I would do an auto trans.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one lol


P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one lol

P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.
exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!
No prob!
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang

No prob!
Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Roguestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm
That's funny cause I was thinking you should get it and build it over time just for fun! Lol
__________________
2000 Mustang GT-Former giggle gas addict
1990 Mustang GT w/ Vortech V3

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.
I'm starting to lean towards getting it to swap into a a 4cyl Fox notchback..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap Danger Dude Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 85 11-14-2015 08:51 PM
My official 5.0 engine swap thread PureVenom 1979-1995 Mustang GT 35 10-06-2013 01:12 PM
84 mustang v6 engine rebuild questions sblt500r Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 02-06-2012 07:09 PM
Engine swap, here we go Mustanglife General Mustang Discussion 65 07-05-2011 09:07 PM
Strange engine swap idea ArmyStang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 25 07-05-2011 11:29 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.