95 GT 5.4L Engine Swap Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
95 GT 5.4L Engine Swap Questions

Some might know I've been planning to prep a 351w for my car for some time now. I have a 5.4L van motor(E-250) available to me for nothing. It has 200k+ miles and will need a rebuild of course.
I have a few questions regarding this swap.

1. Wiring and ECU? Use the vans or is there a better option?

2. Trans options? 5-6 speed or auto? Open to both.

3. K -member? Can I use 96-04, or do i need an aftermarket one?

4. I'm sure mods will have to be made to the cooling system as well?

5. Exhaust.. Options?

Any insight into these things would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are things I'm sure I'm over looking, tips and advice are welcome!

Thanks,
Ed
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there.
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I am inexperienced with this swap. But I will give what insight I have.

I do believe you need special headers because the 351 is a bit wider. (1 1/4" I think)

As for the k member, it should fit in the existing.

I also believ that you can keep your own ecu, but will need to tune it.

I do know that there is a good swap article in the stickies. I think I may have even put it there.
But I know a few guys on here have done the swap so they will be able to better inform you. But good luck on your project man. Adding cubes always gets ky juices flowing.

Also one other thing. I saw you had a recent post about shocks. You may want to consider this in that decision, as you will be putting more power down depending on how crazy you get. A good set of shocks maybe a key factor in hooking up.
I know lots about the 351w swap, I'm looking for info on the 5.4L mod motor swap!
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I know lots about the 351w swap, I'm looking for info on the 5.4L mod motor swap!
Oh darn, I guess I misread that buddy.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Oh darn, I guess I misread that buddy.
Np bro! It's the thought that counts!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

Np bro! It's the thought that counts!
Well hopefully someone else has some input. I haven't heard of to many people doing this swap. And it sounds pretty cool to me. I would bet that cam is more setup for low end since its basically a truck motor.

I remembered that you wanted to do a 351 swap so I had it in my head that's the info your looking for. good luck though buddy.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0
From what i have found the 5.4 has slightly over an inch taller deck than the 4.6 so that could limit your exhaust header choice even with a 96+ k member. I know muscle mustangs and fast fords built a fox with a 5.4 out of a lightning but i cant seem to find the article
That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:

That's a VERY old article!!! A tan notch back right? There was a pic of two dudes lifting the back of the car by hand cause the engine was so heavy lol was a 4 eyed car too I think 8)
I wasnt aware how old it was lol i was searching modular motor swaps in foxes a while back and came acrossed it but i cant find it now!
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
From what I've heard about this swap you will need the k member from a 99-04 , ecu and wiring, a cowl hood even with the k member, and the hydro boost brake set up or you can covert to manual brakes, you could probably get away with mid length headers, and if its going to be a strip-street car I would do an auto trans.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one lol

P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
Honestly I don't think it's worth it for a 5.4 in this case. The money you would put into making it work and rebuilding it would prolly be well spent in your 351 swap. It's gotta be a 2V 5.4 coming from a van, and yes they do make decent torque, but the HP just isn't there. If it was a 4V or you have 4V heads to go on it, maybe. Unless you wanted to put an F.I. Kit on the 5.4, there's no point. Unless of course you are doing just to say you have one lol

P.S. I also have a 2000 GT and I have thought about doing a 5.4 swap in it; maybe if I find a lightning motor, until then I'm keeping the 4.6.
exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the insight everyone!!!!
No prob!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang

No prob!
Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm
Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Might get it anyway and use it for trade bait, or use the van for my bike or maybe build it into a 4 cam over time.. Hmmm
That's funny cause I was thinking you should get it and build it over time just for fun! Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
I say get it anyways also. The good low end torque but lack of hp probably is just because of cams and intake etc. If you decide to keep it and build it up good, that stuff will be replaced.
Also if you can get a good deal on it, it shouldn't be to hard of a flip.
I'm starting to lean towards getting it to swap into a a 4cyl Fox notchback..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT