MAF Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
MAF Question

If I get a MAF sensor calibrated for 24lbs injectors do I have to be the injectors right away or will it run ok with out the injectors??
FordRacer_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: MAF

most likely it's gonna run rough

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRacer_51 View Post
If I get a MAF sensor calibrated for 24lbs injectors do I have to be the injectors right away or will it run ok with out the injectors??
They need to be matched. A MAF calibrated for larger injectors will probably try to feed to much fuel into smaller injectors and cause the engine to run to rich possibly washing down the cylinder walls and causing engine damage.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

They need to be matched. A MAF calibrated for larger injectors will probably try to feed to much fuel into smaller injectors and cause the engine to run to rich possibly washing down the cylinder walls and causing engine damage.
Is this the case? Or would it not supply enough fuel because its sending less pulses to the injectors? I would think it would pulse the injectors less because it thinks they are bigger. But I don't know this for sure just what I had brainstormed about it.

Either way a lean condition is bad for the engine also.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: MAF Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Is this the case? Or would it not supply enough fuel because its sending less pulses to the injectors? I would think it would pulse the injectors less because it thinks they are bigger. But I don't know this for sure just what I had brainstormed about it.

Either way a lean condition is bad for the engine also.
ECU thinking it is supplying larger injectors = longer pulses to supply more fuel which is too much for the smaller injectors. Maybe not?
I haven't looked at the fuel maps for the ECU's for a long time.
Either way, it won't supply the correct amount of fuel.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

ECU thinking it is supplying larger injectors = longer pulses to supply more fuel which is too much for the smaller injectors. Maybe not?
I haven't looked at the fuel maps for the ECU's for a long time.
Either way, it won't supply the correct amount of fuel.
Right on. Your probably right. I was just trying some logical reasoning with the theory. Haha that sounded smart didn't it?

My thought is with larger injectors, they would supply more fuel in a shorter time. There for needing a shorter pulse.

But I'm with you. Either way the correct amount isn't getting supplied.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Right on. Your probably right. I was just trying some logical reasoning with the theory. Haha that sounded smart didn't it?

My thought is with larger injectors, they would supply more fuel in a shorter time. There for needing a shorter pulse.

But I'm with you. Either way the correct amount isn't getting supplied.
You may be right. These days my memory is getting so bad that sometimes I can't remember anything useful when I need to, but oddball crap pops in there all the time.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:

You may be right. These days my memory is getting so bad that sometimes I can't remember anything useful when I need to, but oddball crap pops in there all the time.
Lol. The oddball crap is runner usually though. Haha
But like I said, I have no verification as to that's how it does it.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I know i had a ranger at work,,it came back from the body shop,,the duct work the MAF was mounted to was a v6,,but the vehicle was a 4 cylinder..they both fit,,but the v6 duct work was larger in diameter just a little,,well when you started the vehicle,,the fuel trim would go all the way up on the positive and then all the way on the neg..I pulled my hair trying to figure out what the hell was going on,,finally i tried another one off another ranger,,and it ran fine,,the MAF sensor was good but the little difference in the diameter of the v6 threw everything off..crazy..thank god i work in fleet,,and have about 10 vehicles thet are the same,,that way you can get info off another one..lol
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
I know i had a ranger at work,,it came back from the body shop,,the duct work the MAF was mounted to was a v6,,but the vehicle was a 4 cylinder..they both fit,,but the v6 duct work was larger in diameter just a little,,well when you started the vehicle,,the fuel trim would go all the way up on the positive and then all the way on the neg..I pulled my hair trying to figure out what the hell was going on,,finally i tried another one off another ranger,,and it ran fine,,the MAF sensor was good but the little difference in the diameter of the v6 threw everything off..crazy..thank god i work in fleet,,and have about 10 vehicles thet are the same,,that way you can get info off another one..lol
The diameter shouldn't have had much if any effect on it?
Being close to an elbow however will affect them and sometime you have to clock the sensor to get it into the air flow properly.

Since you work in fleet do you have access to the online troubleshooting and diagrams programs they have nowadays? (Can't remember the name of the progs. )
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Can anyone calibrate a MAF sensor for a given application? Are there special instruments required to do this?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Can anyone calibrate a MAF sensor for a given application? Are there special instruments required to do this?
If you have an abaco maf then you can reprogram them via laptop. But beside that you usually have to have it done by a dyno tuner. That's why most of the time people just buy new maf, because its cheaper. U can find a link about the abaco in useful stickies thread.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
The diameter shouldn't have had much if any effect on it?
Being close to an elbow however will affect them and sometime you have to clock the sensor to get it into the air flow properly.

Since you work in fleet do you have access to the online troubleshooting and diagrams programs they have nowadays? (Can't remember the name of the progs. )
we have shopkey for lightduty and ISIS for the internationals,,we have another program,,i cant think of the name,,for the internationals,,that lets us do body control and allison transmissions,,its kinda limited but its still a good tool,,plus its loaded on a laptop with windows so you can access the internet while its plugged in the vehicle..the scanner for the light vehicles is the solus..But the MAF problem with the ranger the fuel trim was 0 +1 -1 which was good but then it would go to -20and then go the other way to +20,,and run like crap..so i swapped one from another ranger and the problem was fixed..so the body shop sent another MAF sensor and problem was still there,,I swapped the duct work again and the problem went away..So i took the one with the problem and put on a different ranger and it started acting the same way..i noticed the duct that the sensor was connected to was a little bigger,,so we order another duct and i put the MAF sensor in that and it fixed it..I was kinda busy so i cheated doing that so i never looked closely at the data to see what was going on with other than the fuel trim..lol,,but it def had me scratching my head
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
we have shopkey for lightduty and ISIS for the internationals,,we have another program,,i cant think of the name,,for the internationals,,that lets us do body control and allison transmissions,,its kinda limited but its still a good tool,,plus its loaded on a laptop with windows so you can access the internet while its plugged in the vehicle..the scanner for the light vehicles is the solus..But the MAF problem with the ranger the fuel trim was 0 +1 -1 which was good but then it would go to -20and then go the other way to +20,,and run like crap..so i swapped one from another ranger and the problem was fixed..so the body shop sent another MAF sensor and problem was still there,,I swapped the duct work again and the problem went away..So i took the one with the problem and put on a different ranger and it started acting the same way..i noticed the duct that the sensor was connected to was a little bigger,,so we order another duct and i put the MAF sensor in that and it fixed it..I was kinda busy so i cheated doing that so i never looked closely at the data to see what was going on with other than the fuel trim..lol,,but it def had me scratching my head
It's just strange that a slight oversize in tubing would cause that, but they are probably different from the Mustangs I'm used to working with.

I thought you might have access to a bunch of those kinds of applications and tools.
I wish I could remember the name of the program I have, but I can't and darned if I know where I stored all the discs, but it takes a USB "key" to access them and since it was a very small USB key I managed to lose it. I contacted the company and they wanted some ungodly amount ($400-$500) for a new key, so I told them to just forget it and hoped I would be able to figure out how to access them without the key, but as you can tell that never happened.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
It's just strange that a slight oversize in tubing would cause that, but they are probably different from the Mustangs I'm used to working with.

I thought you might have access to a bunch of those kinds of applications and tools.
I wish I could remember the name of the program I have, but I can't and darned if I know where I stored all the discs, but it takes a USB "key" to access them and since it was a very small USB key I managed to lose it. I contacted the company and they wanted some ungodly amount ($400-$500) for a new key, so I told them to just forget it and hoped I would be able to figure out how to access them without the key, but as you can tell that never happened.
Well i work in govt fleet,,so we get the bare minium,,no mustangs work to work ,,..But we have a bunch of the 5.4,,and we just got a fleet of the 5.0,,but they are under a lease thing that they are trying out,,which is scary for me,,and we cant do anything to them but service,,we have alot of sorry districs that either send everything out to ford or to scared or lazy to work on anything,,so thats why they are trying the lease thing..I love to tackle something new,,but theres alot of emploees that just come to work for a pay check,,Ill tell ya i think the international trucks we have are more complex than the light vehicles,,even there light circuit run 3 to 5 volts,,and you have to use either a meter or led testlight to keep from hurting the body module..crazy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT