Winter wish list? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Winter wish list?

Whats everyone saving up for their winter mustang mods?
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Oil gasket change and suspension/steering
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow
Oil gasket change and suspension/steering
thats good for at least 50 more hp haha yeah thats what im planning too. Its hard for me to throw money at those parts though. The suspension bushings alone are so over priced too, it kills me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Winter wish list?

The parts I need to finish my SC install. Supercharger rated harmonic balancer, Valley Girdle Pro, a few ignition parts and anything else I may have forgotten.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
A locker and some 31 spline axles. But not sure if it will happen or not.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
The parts I need to finish my SC install. Supercharger rated harmonic balancer, Valley Girdle Pro, a few ignition parts and anything else I may have forgotten.
There will be more forgottens during the install to, but I'm sure you expect that by now.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just purchased an shp 351, that should be arriving in a few weeks. Plan is to start that build over the winter, depending on what my wife says my budget for the car is over the next few months will determine when that's complete. I've got receipts totaling around $8k spent on the car in the last 8 months or so, so this should be an interesting conversation when I sit her down and start going over the numbers for this build. I should start my a$$-kissing tomorrow lol.
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
A locker and some 31 spline axles. But not sure if it will happen or not.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

There will be more forgottens during the install to, but I'm sure you expect that by now.
Yes I do. I forgot one of the the most important components of them all, the wideband! Can't do any good tuning without that.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
Just purchased an shp 351, that should be arriving in a few weeks. Plan is to start that build over the winter, depending on what my wife says my budget for the car is over the next few months will determine when that's complete. I've got receipts totaling around $8k spent on the car in the last 8 months or so, so this should be an interesting conversation when I sit her down and start going over the numbers for this build. I should start my a$$-kissing tomorrow lol.
You should have started the "kissing" over 8 months ago.

What is an SHP 351?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You should have started the "kissing" over 8 months ago.

What is an SHP 351?
I should have. She gets pretty frustrated at times with my car and the amount of time and money I put towards it, she really does try to be understanding of it but like most women she'll never fully understand. Hell sometimes I don't even understand why I put so much effort into a late 80's model car.

It's a dart block. Couldn't talk myself into forking out the extra cash for the sportsman when their rated for the same HP.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I should have. She gets pretty frustrated at times with my car and the amount of time and money I put towards it, she really does try to be understanding of it but like most women she'll never fully understand. Hell sometimes I don't even understand why I put so much effort into a late 80's model car.

It's a dart block. Couldn't talk myself into forking out the extra cash for the sportsman when their rated for the same HP.
Well we gotta have a hobby and spending money on these old cars is as good as anything else, plus we have something to show for our efforts at the end.

If you don't mid me asking what did the block cost and how much HP is it good for?
I've been looking at the Boss 351W which will hold up to 1500 HP and is around 2K.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking a lot into the boss blocks, but after reading this article and talking to a few guys, and talking to a couple guys at fordstrokers, I changed my mind. Read this article, and read it top to bottom:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-9...shp-block.html

That article completely changed my mind. The dart blocks are good for well over 1k HP. My dad has a shp 302 in his fox with over 300 passes on it, 28-30 lbs of boost, 1100 HP and he will talk your ear off about how it's the best block he's ever purchased. I did countless hours of research before I purchased it, and not one person ever had a problem with this block. Guys running anywhere from 300 to 1500 HP. I'm not here to try to sell you a dart block, but it makes my heart race just thinking about it arriving.

I paid $1940.00, that was the block, shipping and delivery to my door. Talk to the guys at fordstokers, even if you don't buy from them they'll give you any information you need. Sorry about the long post, but this block has got me excited!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was looking a lot into the boss blocks, but after reading this article and talking to a few guys, and talking to a couple guys at fordstrokers, I changed my mind. Read this article, and read it top to bottom:

Boss 302 block or Dart SHP block? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

That article completely changed my mind. The dart blocks are good for well over 1k HP. My dad has a shp 302 in his fox with over 300 passes on it, 28-30 lbs of boost, 1100 HP and he will talk your ear off about how it's the best block he's ever purchased. I did countless hours of research before I purchased it, and not one person ever had a problem with this block. Guys running anywhere from 300 to 1500 HP. I'm not here to try to sell you a dart block, but it makes my heart race just thinking about it arriving.

I paid $1940.00, that was the block, shipping and delivery to my door. Talk to the guys at fordstokers, even if you don't buy from them they'll give you any information you need. Sorry about the long post, but this block has got me excited!
I'm sticking with the Boss block. See post 30 in that link. I have an Edelbrock intake and I can deal with the small issue of the piston skirt sticking out the bottom of the bore. What they showed was 2 different pistons anyways, so who knows what the skirt and rod length actually were in those photos. Not saying anyone was fibbing, just that they didn't have definitive proof IMO.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I wasnt trying to say that particular post is what made up my mind. But I contacted a few guys in that forum who were running both blocks and made my decisions from there. When I contacted fordstrokers I didn't ask to speak to woody as that forum made me feel like he was pretty biased towards dart, so I talked to a couple other guys. Ultimately what made me choose the dart block was because still to this day I've never talked to anyone who's ever had a problem with the block itself. I wouldn't have any problem throwing a boss block in my car, me personally I feel their great blocks, I just had to make a decision, so I did and ran with it.

When are you planning your build?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I wasnt trying to say that particular post is what made up my mind. But I contacted a few guys in that forum who were running both blocks and made my decisions from there. When I contacted fordstrokers I didn't ask to speak to woody as that forum made me feel like he was pretty biased towards dart, so I talked to a couple other guys. Ultimately what made me choose the dart block was because still to this day I've never talked to anyone who's ever had a problem with the block itself. I wouldn't have any problem throwing a boss block in my car, me personally I feel their great blocks, I just had to make a decision, so I did and ran with it.

When are you planning your build?
I understand that. Didn't mean to insinuate that was your only deciding factor, just pointing out why I would still go with the Boss block. Sorry if that seemed offensive or demeaning to you, that was not my intention.

I don't have any definite plans just yet, and I may start out with just a stock block 351W depending on money availability. That's always a huge limiting factor in any build.

Right now I'm just going to concentrate on my 5.0 engine and see just how much HP it can hold when tuned correctly and not beat to death all the time. The 5.0 was dyno tested at Keith Craft Racing Engines years ago and it produced 405 HP at the crank. I'm adding numerous block upgrades along other upgrades and a Paxton Novi 2000. I hope that moderate boost levels will get me into the 600+ HP range and once I'm sure the engine is ok at that level I plan to turn up the wick some more until something breaks or I reach the max capabilities of what I have in it. Kind of an experiment in stock block HP capability.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So im at that point where I have all the bolts-on however I have not touched my 302. My theory is just to wait until I can get a new block and then throw money into the engine. Im afraid of putting new hci and etc into a 80k motor and having all the parts ruined. What do you guys think? Is it worth the wait? Im kinda using the ”go big or go home” mentality.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand that. Didn't mean to insinuate that was your only deciding factor, just pointing out why I would still go with the Boss block. Sorry if that seemed offensive or demeaning to you, that was not my intention.

I don't have any definite plans just yet, and I may start out with just a stock block 351W depending on money availability. That's always a huge limiting factor in any build.

Right now I'm just going to concentrate on my 5.0 engine and see just how much HP it can hold when tuned correctly and not beat to death all the time. The 5.0 was dyno tested at Keith Craft Racing Engines years ago and it produced 405 HP at the crank. I'm adding numerous block upgrades along other upgrades and a Paxton Novi 2000. I hope that moderate boost levels will get me into the 600+ HP range and once I'm sure the engine is ok at that level I plan to turn up the wick some more until something breaks or I reach the max capabilities of what I have in it. Kind of an experiment in stock block HP capability.
No I didn't take it at all like that, just explaining into a little better depth as to what helped me come to my decision. I also debated for awhile between a stock 351 and an aftermarket 351. But after writing down my overall goals for the car, a stock 351 just wouldnt handle what I plan on doing, and I'd rather build it once and build it right than have to go through it all over again when the original 351 crapped out on me. I feel my little 302 is tapped out right now with 14 lbs of boost, so I'm looking forward to the winter to get things rolling with this build. My goal is to have it back on the road with 7-800 hp at the wheels by the end of next summer. But like you said, money will determine that.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox
So im at that point where I have all the bolts-on however I have not touched my 302. My theory is just to wait until I can get a new block and then throw money into the engine. Im afraid of putting new hci and etc into a 80k motor and having all the parts ruined. What do you guys think? Is it worth the wait? Im kinda using the ”go big or go home” mentality.
I wouldn't have a problem doing a h/c/I swap on a 80k motor at all. I would look at is as a little freshening up. If you can I would say go for it now.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

I wouldn't have a problem doing a h/c/I swap on a 80k motor at all. I would look at is as a little freshening up. If you can I would say go for it now.
I agree. A properly maintained motor still has a lot left at 80k
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Think I am going to get a FordStrokers 427 Stroker,
something about the numbers 427ci gives me a chubby
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

I never thought about it like that lol.,I forgot to mention im going through about a quart and a half of oil between 3000 miles. Also I keep going through coolant. the low coolant goes off about every week and half with daily driving. I dont see any leaks on the garage floor so it must be burning it. I mean I know its a 20 year old motor so I dont panic, maybe valve seals? But these,issues make me cautious too about throwing money into this engine.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
I never thought about it like that lol.,I forgot to mention im going through about a quart and a half of oil between 3000 miles. Also I keep going through coolant. the low coolant goes off about every week and half with daily driving. I dont see any leaks on the garage floor so it must be burning it. I mean I know its a 20 year old motor so I dont panic, maybe valve seals? But these,issues make me cautious too about throwing money into this engine.
If it is eating oil and coolant, then you possibly have a serious issue.
Most likely a cracked head/block or blown head gasket or leaking intake gasket.
Make sure the coolant is not getting into your crankcase.
One of the first indicators of that is an overfilled oil level and brownish, milky looking oil.

Also, remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold and start the car, after it has warmed up and the water is circulating look for excessive bubbles in the coolant.
That is an indicator of cracked engine components or a blown head gasket.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If it is eating oil and coolant, then you possibly have a serious issue.
Most likely a cracked head/block or blown head gasket or leaking intake gasket.
Make sure the coolant is not getting into your crankcase.
One of the first indicators of that is an overfilled oil level and brownish, milky looking oil.

Also, remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold and start the car, after it has warmed up and the water is circulating look for excessive bubbles in the coolant.
That is an indicator of cracked engine components or a blown head gasket.
So add possible engine rebuild on my wish list
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Can you have a blown head gasket but still have the engine run fine?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yeah kinda......
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Upper and lower intake manifold
Jeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT