1986 GT wont Crank - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
1986 GT wont Crank

Hey all,

I have a unique problem. I have replaced my starter, the solenoid, the ignition key switch, the neutral safety switch and starter relay.

I can push 12v to the solenoid and the car starts but turning the key won't work. Obviously I have to have the key in run to keep the car running but I don't know what wires to start at to find out why I won't get 12v from turning my key. Any suggestions is welcome at this point.

Thanks!
86.5ptOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
First things you will need is a Multi-meter, a Haynes or Chiltons manual with the wiring diagrams, plenty of time and patience and possibly some Xanax lol

Is this a new to you car or just a new problem? If just a new issue have you done any mods that involve wiring?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
check the grounds first.

them chase the small wire on the silinoid if it doesnt get 12 volt when the key is forward.

you can also use a wiring schematic and locate the incoming and outgoing wires on the ignition switch. they shouldnt have continuity with the key off, but should with the key on.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

I have a Haynes manual which has a horrible wiring diagram. I have good wire continuity from the solenoid to the clutch safety switch. It's from there I am lost as the wires are behind the dash and wrapped up.

It's a new problem. All I have done to the car before was dropped the transmission to clean it up and redraw it due to a slow leak.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5ptOh
I have a Haynes manual which has a horrible wiring diagram. I have good wire continuity from the solenoid to the clutch safety switch. It's from there I am lost as the wires are behind the dash and wrapped up.

It's a new problem. All I have done to the car before was dropped the transmission to clean it up and redraw it due to a slow leak.
check in the useful information stickies thread. there are some very good wiring diagrams located there. and also i think you only need to pull a couple screws, the panel below the steering wheel to get to the ignition switch harness.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 1986 GT wont Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5ptOh View Post
Hey all,

I have a unique problem. I have replaced my starter, the solenoid, the ignition key switch, the neutral safety switch and starter relay.

I can push 12v to the solenoid and the car starts but turning the key won't work. Obviously I have to have the key in run to keep the car running but I don't know what wires to start at to find out why I won't get 12v from turning my key. Any suggestions is welcome at this point.

Thanks!
Did you just replace the key switch or did you replace the electrical portion too?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Did you just replace the key switch or did you replace the electrical portion too?
I replaced the key switch because the wire and electrical prong attached to it was cracked and broken.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I replaced the key switch because the wire and electrical prong attached to it was cracked and broken.
Ok, the key switch is the mechanical portion of the switch that your key fits into, what I'm trying to determine is whether or not you replaced the "electrical" part of the switch too. They are usually sold separately.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:

Ok, the key switch is the mechanical portion of the switch that your key fits into, what I'm trying to determine is whether or not you replaced the "electrical" part of the switch too. They are usually sold separately.
I attached a pic of what I replaced. I have very little experience with changing out the ignition on cars. Sorry if I show my ignorance here.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I attached a pic of what I replaced. I have very little experience with changing out the ignition on cars. Sorry if I show my ignorance here.
Don't be sorry, that's why we are here to help.

Here is what you probably need to replace.
It is the electrical part of the ignition switch.
Link > Ignition Switch

Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #11

Ok so now I can add the ignition switch to what I've replaced. Fuel pump primes, but no start. I get good continuity from the solenoid to the clutch switch and through to this disconnect in the picture just below the radio. I haven't torn down the center console any further to track the wire down past this but from what the Haynes manual says to goes to the white/pink wire on the ignition switch which gives an open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2035621678.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	70319   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-832573764.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	70320  

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok so now I can add the ignition switch to what I've replaced. Fuel pump primes, but no start. I get good continuity from the solenoid to the clutch switch and through to this disconnect in the picture just below the radio. I haven't torn down the center console any further to track the wire down past this but from what the Haynes manual says to goes to the white/pink wire on the ignition switch which gives an open.
The electrical part of the ignition switch fits on the key part of the switch you already replaced. I would get that done before I worried about tracing anymore wires. It is very likely that you are not getting power to the solenoid because of the faulty electrical part of the switch.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:

The electrical part of the ignition switch fits on the key part of the switch you already replaced. I would get that done before I worried about tracing anymore wires. It is very likely that you are not getting power to the solenoid because of the faulty electrical part of the switch.
That's what I meant I replaced the electrical part this afternoon an it did nothing new.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Can you show the whole wiring diagram,,plus it was turn sideways
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
Can you show the whole wiring diagram,,plus it was turn sideways
Sorry. I'm doing this from my phone so if there is a certain part you want to see I can take a closer picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1029531400.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	70344   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3504205867.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	70345  

Name:	image-1445064475.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	70346  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry. I'm doing this from my phone so if there is a certain part you want to see I can take a closer picture.
I still cant see,im going to look it up at work monday,,we have shopkey,,which has good prints,,if you havent fixed by then ill get back to ya
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
okay i got the wire print,,you should have a white and pink wire coming from the ignition switch to your clutch switch,,at the switch it shows it changes to red and lt blue..anyway with the ignition switch in the START position,,you should have voltage at the clutch switch,,if you do depress the clutch pedal and turn the ignition switch to the START position and you should have voltage to the other side of the clutch switch,,if there is no voltage at the clutch switch,,then its a broken wire or the ignition switch is bad,,if everything is good then let me know and ill give u another step,,unless u have already firgured it out
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

okay i got the wire print,,you should have a white and pink wire coming from the ignition switch to your clutch switch,,at the switch it shows it changes to red and lt blue..anyway with the ignition switch in the START position,,you should have voltage at the clutch switch,,if you do depress the clutch pedal and turn the ignition switch to the START position and you should have voltage to the other side of the clutch switch,,if there is no voltage at the clutch switch,,then its a broken wire or the ignition switch is bad,,if everything is good then let me know and ill give u another step,,unless u have already firgured it out
Ok sorry for the delay been bay at work. I have no voltage at the clutch switch. One plug on the clutch switch has two red/blue wires. So it's not as simple as tracing a white/pink back to the ignition switch. Attached is what my clutch switch plugs look like and my wiring to search through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-727434407.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	71521   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3196498748.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	696.5 KB
ID:	71522  

Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok sorry for the delay been bay at work. I have no voltage at the clutch switch. One plug on the clutch switch has two red/blue wires. So it's not as simple as tracing a white/pink back to the ignition switch. Attached is what my clutch switch plugs look like and my wiring to search through.
The print says it goes from white and pink ,and changes to red and blue,,and you had no voltage when you turn the switch to start,,it has to be from the switch to the clutch switch,,Can you find the white and pink ,,and check continuity from the white and pink at the switch and to the red and blue at the clutch switch??

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
The print says it goes from white and pink ,and changes to red and blue,,and you had no voltage when you turn the switch to start,,it has to be from the switch to the clutch switch,,Can you find the white and pink ,,and check continuity from the white and pink at the switch and to the red and blue at the clutch switch??
It looks like them wires been repaired several times
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'll look at work today but if I remember correctly the white and pink wire goes to the trans. On auto cars it is the park/neutral switch. Had to bypass on my 86 GT.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #21

Thanks for everyone's help, it's finally fixed. Even though its a manual transmission, the starter wire still runs down to the transmission but goes right back out at the plug. So I had a broken jumper wire that was covered in tape and plastic wire protectors.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help, it's finally fixed. Even though its a manual transmission, the starter wire still runs down to the transmission but goes right back out at the plug. So I had a broken jumper wire that was covered in tape and plastic wire protectors.
cool,,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT