battery relocation - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I hav a buddy who's into desiels an he told me about it. I'm starting to rethink my 5.0 swap... lol! Jk!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Contact mad. I used their kit and it relocated the silinoid to the trunk also. The guy will seriously talk you through the whole process on the phone in detail.
87lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lx
Contact mad. I used their kit and it relocated the silinoid to the trunk also. The guy will seriously talk you through the whole process on the phone in detail.
Msd? Yeah they have a great tech support.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yes they do but the company im talking about is different. I seen a fox they did in a magazine but cannot remember which one. I bought the aluminum box by Taylor and a hella battery cut off with removable key from summit. I contacted mad and they have pre cut wire kits for everything. The guy is really smart. He is actually fighting nhra because of how the test your battery cut off because it can send a surge to vital electronics but his kit minimized it. Its all new wires that deal with the battery and silinoid. Very clean high grade kits

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Google m.a.d electrical the should pop up. I would recommend them to anyone.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Google m.a.d electrical the should pop up. I would recommend them to anyone. I do extensive research before i do anything to my fox.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol yes they do but the company im talking about is different. I seen a fox they did in a magazine but cannot remember which one. I bought the aluminum box by Taylor and a hella battery cut off with removable key from summit. I contacted mad and they have pre cut wire kits for everything. The guy is really smart. He is actually fighting nhra because of how the test your battery cut off because it can send a surge to vital electronics but his kit minimized it. Its all new wires that deal with the battery and silinoid. Very clean high grade kits

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Google m.a.d electrical the should pop up. I would recommend them to anyone.
i thought it was a misprint.
sounds awsome man. you have any pics of the install?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. As usual one thing leads to another. I bolted the box to the passenger side chassis because i read an article that i believe moroso did on battery relocation placement. You get 60+ pounds of traction right there. Problem is that's where the fill tube for fuel is. Also i had to modify the trunk sill and move it up about 2 inches for the box to fit. Also the allthread bolts hit the gas tank. Im a fabricator so i said screw it. I cut the whole trunk out. I ordered a 15 gallon aluminum powdercoated fuel cell. Im building custom cross support bars and going to rivet an aluminum plate to cover the hole with a billet fuel door on it that sits above the cell. That's in short you'll have to see it when im done. Oh yeah i welded the original fuel door flush with the car. Way too much to list everything. This is what happens when i start a small project. My wife hates it
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol. As usual one thing leads to another. I bolted the box to the passenger side chassis because i read an article that i believe moroso did on battery relocation placement. You get 60+ pounds of traction right there. Problem is that's where the fill tube for fuel is. Also i had to modify the trunk sill and move it up about 2 inches for the box to fit. Also the allthread bolts hit the gas tank. Im a fabricator so i said screw it. I cut the whole trunk out. I ordered a 15 gallon aluminum powdercoated fuel cell. Im building custom cross support bars and going to rivet an aluminum plate to cover the hole with a billet fuel door on it that sits above the cell. That's in short you'll have to see it when im done. Oh yeah i welded the original fuel door flush with the car. Way too much to list everything. This is what happens when i start a small project. My wife hates it
lmao. i hear you on that. you know we must see lots of pics of this!
i am a fabricator also. i just finished up a custom diff cover.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i seen that it looks tuff. Im still in the process of modding the front end of the car also from another small project...lol. I cut the core support out and now am re doing the whole cooling system. Aluminum radiator and ho water pump silicone hoses flex a lite fan. All custom. The car is a never ending project but one day will be the badest fox on the road. It has so many mods
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah i seen that it looks tuff. Im still in the process of modding the front end of the car also from another small project...lol. I cut the core support out and now am re doing the whole cooling system. Aluminum radiator and ho water pump silicone hoses flex a lite fan. All custom. The car is a never ending project but one day will be the badest fox on the road. It has so many mods
I did a new radiator with a junk yard electric fan. Haha. I have done quite a bit though.
custom fabbed stuff: Subframes, radio delete, torque box reinforcements, throttle cable bracket, seat brackets, cat delete. And probably some more. But I have a schematic for the tbox reinforcements if you would like it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The car already was reinforced when i got it along with sub frame. I got really lucky. I bought it for 1200 from my buddy that's a Calif sheriff. He was getting in trouble in it and needed it gone. He got it from a ford tech. When i got it it had a ho 5.0 with a x303 cam and roller rockers. Gt 40 upper with a bigger tb. B&m custom t5 with aluminum drive shaft and loop. Toms axles and 311's. Ceramic long tubes with x pipe and flow masters. Msd coil. American aluminum rims. Edlebrock drag launch suspension and slapper bars. Auto meter tach. And im sure im forgetting a bunch more.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

lol 411
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml here is a link to get you in the ball park for a proper relocation kit so you don't have a hot wire running the length of your car. Only at startup. Do it proper.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lx View Post
Catalog here is a link to get you in the ball park for a proper relocation kit so you don't have a hot wire running the length of your car. Only at startup. Do it proper.
Nice, but you will always need a hot wire running the length of the car to power the engine, ECU and other accessories.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

True. Read about the kit though. It has lots of benefits. It's much safer than just putting your battery in the trunk and running a huge hot power cable to the front.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #50
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87lx View Post
True. Read about the kit though. It has lots of benefits. It's much safer than just putting your battery in the trunk and running a huge hot power cable to the front.
I did read about it. You still have to have a good sized wire feeding the engine and ECU. You protect those wires with fuses or breaker switches. The 8 gauge wire they use is also not big enough to carry the current load required for engine, ECU, electric fans, electric water pump and MSD ignitions used on a lot of Mustangs, so it would only serve for a basic low current draw vehicle system. There is a lot more to know about wiring a vehicle and a lot of these kits are lacking in adequate instructions for various purposes. They assume that the reader knows more than the readers actually do most of the time.

One thing they do that I don't like is to use the frame for the ground circuit from front to back, which does work, but it can also cause problems with EFI cars as the surface on the frame rail rusts and the connection degrades.

I much prefer my way of running the ground cable to ensure adequate grounds throughout the entire system. By utilizing the braided cable and multiple "grounding spots along the frame and bodywork it ensures that adequate grounding is always available at numerous points along the path of the cable.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's their basic kit. The guy talked to me on the phone for ever and detailed the kit to suit what i got. They will seriously talk your ear off they ask a million questions....lmao really friendly people. I wish i had the link to the fox they did for fast fords or one of those mags. Totally custom and looked bas ***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT