FMS ac elimator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
FMS ac elimator

I know I've been posting a lot. I have several parts to go on here. When I get frustrated with one, I box and bag, and try the next! Workin good so far. Ive taken all compressor/condenser off as one. Question one: is there any other way than a sawsall to get the copper pipe from the firewall to let me do what I want? Question two: how do these relocation brackets exactly work? Appreciate any input as always guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4089967937.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	70160  
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The bracket will just bolt to the head. I attached a pic so you can see. The other bracket goes on the water pump bolts.

As for the tubes on the firewall, you may have to take the dash apart to physically remove them. That's why everyone just cuts them off. If you go to the auto parts store you can find these fancy little rubber caps so it doesn't look crappy. But I would get the caps first so you don't cut them to short.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120926_160618.png
Views:	89
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	70161   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120926_160938.png
Views:	95
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	70162  

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Unless you live in a moderately temperate climate or are building a race only car, I wouldn't remove the AC. At some point you will wish you hadn't and buying all the parts new is prohibitively expensive.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I took all my ac off as one piece(except that copper line...lol!) I keep ALL my old parts. Almost there. School M-TH and work F-SAT leaves my time stranded. My wife was helpin me buy she went to get my daughters. Were gonna make it a family thing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2742047560.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	71662  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback View Post
I took all my ac off as one piece(except that copper line...lol!) I keep ALL my old parts. Almost there. School M-TH and work F-SAT leaves my time stranded. My wife was helpin me buy she went to get my daughters. Were gonna make it a family thing!
Be sure you plug and cap off any and all hoses and fittings on the compressor if you ever plan to use them again.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Parts store only had a 73 1/2" belt and a 72 5/8. Big one was too big. Purdy sure the small one is too small? Whines like a gear drive timing and overheats. Am I halfass right or do I have deeper problems?:headpalm
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
Parts store only had a 73 1/2" belt and a 72 5/8. Big one was too big. Purdy sure the small one is too small? Whines like a gear drive timing and overheats. Am I halfass right or do I have deeper problems?:headpalm
1/8 different shouldnt be , one big and one small.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

1/8 different shouldnt be , one big and one small.
Wouldn't that be a 1/4 inch? Or are you goin an 1/8 to the side? Not playin math games, just tryin to figure where I f**ed up. Don't know a lot about belt differences.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

Wouldn't that be a 1/4 inch? Or are you goin an 1/8 to the side? Not playin math games, just tryin to figure where I f**ed up. Don't know a lot about belt differences.
oh sorry. i thought you said 73 5/8 . i would try another auto parts store. sometimes different stores carry different lengths.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea man. They said they ordered 73" and these are the options I was given when I got there... Man! It sure sounded good till till that temp gauge started climbing. Haven't heard it in over a month! Thanks for answering before I had a chance to drive myself crazy dream!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yea man. They said they ordered 73" and these are the options I was given when I got there... Man! It sure sounded good till till that temp gauge started climbing. Haven't heard it in over a month! Thanks for answering before I had a chance to drive myself crazy dream!
yeah they come in wierd sizes. but like i said i have had that issue and went to a different aout store and was able to find an in between size. im not positive thats your overheating issue but i would definitly make sure you have the right belt.

and your welcome.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
By the way: I also eliminated my egr. Not that it would cause the problem I'm having, just to clear this part up.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
By the way: I also eliminated my egr. Not that it would cause the problem I'm having, just to clear this part up.
Are you referring to the overheating?
Maybe the belt is slipping on the water pump drive pulley or you have it turning backwards?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Are you referring to the overheating?
Maybe the belt is slipping on the water pump drive pulley or you have it turning backwards?
Do you mean with the ribbed side out? I put it flat side out. I'm gonna take a look at it today when I get off work. It got dark on me last night.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Do you mean with the ribbed side out? I put it flat side out. I'm gonna take a look at it today when I get off work. It got dark on me last night.
Yes the ribbed side out. The flat side usually drives the water pump pulley. Take a picture of the belt installed so we can ensure it is on correctly and turning the pump in the right direction. With the pump being driven by the flat side of the belt you also need to have a considerable amount of contact area so it does not slip.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Here is my belt setup. I questioned the belt coming together at the tensioner. I thought it wasn't going to get hot just now but it rocketed up to 3/4 of the gauge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3631761014.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	514.2 KB
ID:	72800  
Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Here's a pic that may help ya
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1322283510.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	72804  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered a 73" belt and they presented a 72 5/8" belt... Real nice guys!!lol Is the belt supposed to run together at the tensioner? Will a belt that's too tight cause worries? Just thinkin out loud here...:confused
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
I ordered a 73" belt and they presented a 72 5/8" belt... Real nice guys!!lol Is the belt supposed to run together at the tensioner? Will a belt that's too tight cause worries? Just thinkin out loud here...:confused
I forget the exact, but I wanna say there should be about 1/2" of deflection in the belt in the longest straight path.

Usually if its to tight, yes it can wear bearings. But most likely if it was to tight then you wouldnt get it on.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Here is my belt setup. I questioned the belt coming together at the tensioner. I thought it wasn't going to get hot just now but it rocketed up to 3/4 of the gauge.
You have to be careful at that point and make sure the belt does not rub against itself at the tensioner, there is not much room for error.

Are you sure you got all of the air out of the cooling system?
Sounds like it may have some in it yet.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's what my pops asked me. It wasn't a fight to get on or anything. Just one of those things that needs figured out I guess. Nothin that a short day of class and a day full of tinker time can't figure out!

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote:

You have to be careful at that point and make sure the belt does not rub against itself at the tensioner, there is not much room for error.

Are you sure you got all of the air out of the cooling system?
Sounds like it may have some in it yet.
I don't see how I'm gonna get away from it rubbing TH. It would have to be shorter IMO? What is best way to get the air out? I ran upon that problem before while working on a *ugghh* 350 Chevy.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's what my pops asked me. It wasn't a fight to get on or anything. Just one of those things that needs figured out I guess. Nothin that a short day of class and a day full of tinker time can't figure out!

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

I don't see how I'm gonna get away from it rubbing TH. It would have to be shorter IMO? What is best way to get the air out? I ran upon that problem before while working on a *ugghh* 350 Chevy.
Why do you say it is small if it wasn't a fight to get on? I have used belts that were somewhat tight getting on and never had an issue. If you are going off the chart that floats around here , it is just to get you close. I wouldn't consider that written in stone. The belt should be small enough to raise the gap by the tensioner some.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure the water pump always turns counterclockwise! Hope that helps

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
Make sure the water pump always turns counterclockwise! Hope that helps
Counterclockwise as I'm standing in front of the car looking at it?

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Why do you say it is small if it wasn't a fight to get on? I have used belts that were somewhat tight getting on and never had an issue. If you are going off the chart that floats around here , it is just to get you close. I wouldn't consider that written in stone. The belt should be small enough to raise the gap by the tensioner some.
I just ain't that familiar with using different belts man. Going by what you say, it was just fine. I held tensioner up with a socket and ratchet and my wife put it on. Ignorance is bliss...lol!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I just ain't that familiar with using different belts man. Going by what you say, it was just fine. I held tensioner up with a socket and ratchet and my wife put it on. Ignorance is bliss...lol!
And I guess with you saying that, I need to get a smaller belt. It is resting on top of the other side of the belt below it. I might sound like an idiot here but that ain't never bothered me...I just wanna learn!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:

i use a large ratchet. when i pull up on it i stick a 2x4 from the core support to the engine under the ratchet to hold it.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Cool man. I think you just sent me in the right direction. What is the best way to belch air from the coolant lines? Gonna hit this hard and heavy on Monday!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Road Trip!

when you fill it up its best to leave the plug off on the thermostat housing. but not neccasary. you can just leave the radiator cap off and let it get warmed up. as the thermostat opens it should start burping. add coolant as needed.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

10-4. Will do. Thanks for all your help so far man! Feels good doin my own wrenchin and gettin the old hands dirty!!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Road Trip!

no problem and good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

FOX BODIES...
8 hours wrenching = 1 hour driving!
Its a love lol.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yea man. It's been sitting a month. Was having hella idle trouble. Vac lines to smog were trashed, I found out after doing nearly every test in the stickies thread!lol Before I knew it, the a/c didn't work, so it was gone too! It sounded DAMN good before it got hot. It's a labor of love...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
when you fill it up its best to leave the plug off on the thermostat housing. but not necessary. you can just leave the radiator cap off and let it get warmed up. as the thermostat opens it should start burping. add coolant as needed.
This^^ and notice how the top hose is higher than the radiator tank inlet? Carefully push it down with something to ensure all the air gets pushed into the radiator where it can get out. Some air will always remain at the top of the radiator tank to allow for expansion, but you want to get as much as possible out when filling.

P.S. You might be better off belt wise to have the idler that replaces the smog pump if it's going to rub.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
FOX BODIES...
8 hours wrenching = 1 hour driving!
Its a love lol.
Just bought my first mustang two weeks ago, drove it for five days, been working on it for over a week undrivable, all love
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #35
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:

This^^ and notice how the top hose is higher than the radiator tank inlet? Carefully push it down with something to ensure all the air gets pushed into the radiator where it can get out. Some air will always remain at the top of the radiator tank to allow for expansion, but you want to get as much as possible out when filling.

P.S. You might be better off belt wise to have the idler that replaces the smog pump if it's going to rub.
Or the march alternator delete bracket, 60 bucks and gets to of the stock tensioner . Switches over to a turn buckle style.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT