95 gt hesitation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
95 gt hesitation

Ok so my mustang developed the issue about a month ago I just haven't had time to fix it. My car runs perfectly fine when I first start it, but after it warms up while I'm driving it it will jerk and have no power when I lay into the throttle. Especially if I give it a good amount of gas or floor it. I think that its either my o2 sensors which my car only has two correct? Or it could be my tps sensor. Anyone know?
jedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The tp will give you a slight jerk,,but that sounds like a coil breaking down when it gets hot..Have you change the fuel filter lately,,or scanned for any codes,,sometimes you can have a code and not a light..
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
The tp will give you a slight jerk,,but that sounds like a coil breaking down when it gets hot..Have you change the fuel filter lately,,or scanned for any codes,,sometimes you can have a code and not a light..
Yea I replaced the fuel filter a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You said it doesnt have any power,,kinda sounds like maybe the fuel pump not pumping the volume,,I dont think it would be the o2s,,the computer jumps into open loop during wide open throttle,,so it doesnt look at them..I would try and scann for codes,,see if you have a lean condition or rich..,,Is your car obd 2 or obd 1,,i know that year is where the change comes in..If its obd 2,,autozone can scann it for free,,im not sure if they can do obd 1
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Check all the basics first. Fuel pressure, timing, make sure the wires, cap & plugs are good.
If you don't have a Chiltons manual, now is a good time to get one.
There are numerous component testing procedures in the Useful Info sticky thread too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Kinda sounds like the problem with my 94 gt but mine happens when I go on the highway I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump and did the oil and I haven't really tested it out yet still having trouble accelerating after about 4k car will start to hesitate then to I have an idea it might be the clutch so I have a new excedy clutch and a ford racing flywheel that I need to put in is your clutch really stiff?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg
Kinda sounds like the problem with my 94 gt but mine happens when I go on the highway I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump and did the oil and I haven't really tested it out yet still having trouble accelerating after about 4k car will start to hesitate then to I have an idea it might be the clutch so I have a new excedy clutch and a ford racing flywheel that I need to put in is your clutch really stiff?

I also replaced the cap rotor , spark plugs and put in new 9mm ford racing wires a few months ago. The car will have power eventually but it has almost a lag when I floor it, then all of a sudden after hesitation I've got power. It will jerk on mild exceleration and on hills at around 2200 rpm when I tap the accelerator to go faster. Actually yeah my clutch is rock hard, ridiculously hard. The guy I bought it from told me a new racing clutch was put in. I'm assuming the crappy stock clutch cable is still being used. Why do you ask?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
No expert what so ever but does sound like your fuel pump. Or even dirty injectors or old ones. Plus, so I've heard, stock cables are pretty much the gooder ones =}
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpony

I also replaced the cap rotor , spark plugs and put in new 9mm ford racing wires a few months ago. The car will have power eventually but it has almost a lag when I floor it, then all of a sudden after hesitation I've got power. It will jerk on mild exceleration and on hills at around 2200 rpm when I tap the accelerator to go faster. Actually yeah my clutch is rock hard, ridiculously hard. The guy I bought it from told me a new racing clutch was put in. I'm assuming the crappy stock clutch cable is still being used. Why do you ask?
Yeas that's my next step already have the new cap next will be spark plugs and wires yea it problem sound similar to mine I wouldn't believe the race clutch cause no matter what clutch you have or clutch cable it will loosen up after awhile the oem clutch cable is actually really good and I would keep it on there or replace it with another oem one cause it could be the clutch disengaging or something on that lines were its doing something to make the car hesitate
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would check the easy stuff first,,like cleaning throttle body,,MAF sensor,plus disconnecting neg battery post for a few mins for a reboot,,also make sure you air filter and duct work tight,,and vacuum leaks..We have alot of ford vans broke down,,went to look at one ,,it would idle,,but you couldnt accelarate,,the filter wasnt clamp right,,and when you gave it throttle ,,it would pull away a little and run like crapp,,so check out the simple things then go from there..Now did all this happen before the tune up,,or was this happening and you done a tune up??
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would check the easy stuff first,,like cleaning throttle body,,MAF sensor,plus disconnecting neg battery post for a few mins for a reboot,,also make sure you air filter and duct work tight,,and vacuum leaks..We have alot of ford vans broke down,,went to look at one ,,it would idle,,but you couldnt accelarate,,the filter wasnt clamp right,,and when you gave it throttle ,,it would pull away a little and run like crapp,,so check out the simple things then go from there..Now did all this happen before the tune up,,or was this happening and you done a tune up??
I did the tune up before all of this started. It started acting up a few months later. Just bought a obd1 scanner, haven't used it yet though, need to read up on how it works
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Then i would go back and double check the tune up..You said you had plug wires,,you can check them in the evening make sure they are not defective anywhere,,its easier to see if they are arching when its dark,,also did you gap the plugs,,and the dist cap,,did you go with the brass contacts or the aluminum,,the aluminum seems to have more trouble then the brass..Also check the coil,,make sure theres not alot of corrosion on the end where the spark plug wire connects..
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Then i would go back and double check the tune up..You said you had plug wires,,you can check them in the evening make sure they are not defective anywhere,,its easier to see if they are arching when its dark,,also did you gap the plugs,,and the dist cap,,did you go with the brass contacts or the aluminum,,the aluminum seems to have more trouble then the brass..Also check the coil,,make sure theres not alot of corrosion on the end where the spark plug wire connects..
I checked for arching. Yes I did gap them they are a copper plug ford motorcraft. If something was wrong with the tune up wouldn't it be noticeable right away when I start it up? Like I said it only happens after the car warms up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT