Electric superchargers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Electric superchargers

So awhile back I made a post of these things of crap but I didnt have the time, money, etc to actually prove that these things are ****...

Well no more!

Now while this is a car that is nearly 5 liters and 5 cylinders smaller than mine, the theory still holds true.

My belief is that at WOT, Engine vacuum is actually great than thrust produced by the fan (electric supercharger) and that the fan actually becomes an impedance to the engine. These guys prove it with several runs on a dyno.

and they have sarcasm... who doesnt like sarcasm?

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Darn! I was just going to double up on a pair of those bad boys too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Man with those kinds of gains I think its about time I go with a twin leaf charger set up on my car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Darn! I was just going to double up on a pair of those bad boys too.
With a dual snorkel setup you could quadruple up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Shazzam boost!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I know that these electric blowers are a joke but I have seen real ones that do make a difference. But they aren't always on and they spin at something like 100k rpm. The car i saw it on was a drag car. Ill try find a video later. Generated 22lbs of boost and sounded like a banshee. But the 100$ one is a total waste of money.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I know that these electric blowers are a joke but I have seen real ones that do make a difference. But they aren't always on and they spin at something like 100k rpm. The car i saw it on was a drag car. Ill try find a video later. Generated 22lbs of boost and sounded like a banshee. But the 100$ one is a total waste of money.
I gotta' see that. The electrical power it would take to generate 22 psi at enough CFM to matter would be a considerable amount and I'd like to see how they managed that.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to see that too... They'd have to be running two extreme high output alternators running... Not to mention I don't think a 12 volt electrical system could provide enough output...

But I'm no electrician so...

Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it was a stupid system. I'm not sure what the hell it was but it only worked for about 10 seconds and took half an hour between passes. He said for the cost and hassle it just wasn't worth it. I've been looking for a video of it but haven't found anything yet other than a broken link. I remember he had a back to the future sticker on the back that was pretty funny.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Yeah it was a stupid system. I'm not sure what the hell it was but it only worked for about 10 seconds and took half an hour between passes. He said for the cost and hassle it just wasn't worth it. I've been looking for a video of it but haven't found anything yet other than a broken link. I remember he had a back to the future sticker on the back that was pretty funny.
That makes sense. He was probably using batteries to power it and draining them at an extremely high rate that necessitated recharging between rounds.

So basically, YES you can make it work, but it isn't worth the cost and hassle. Now when/if they ever perfect superconductors.........
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
That makes sense. He was probably using batteries to power it and draining them at an extremely high rate that necessitated recharging between rounds.

So basically, YES you can make it work, but it isn't worth the cost and hassle. Now when/if they ever perfect superconductors.........
Another negative is variability of the charge and the effects on the overall tune. Who would want to throw yet another variable in the mix?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Another negative is variability of the charge and the effects on the overall tune. Who would want to throw yet another variable in the mix?
True, but we do that with almost every aftermarket mod we make.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The only way I could see this being helpful is to help pull the exhaust after the cat or the muffler. Since it doesn't compress air, I'm sure that it could easily help pull the air out of the piston while the valves open without it blowing too much that it forces the valve open.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah. The possibility exists for an electric sc but im not standing in line for it. Itl be a long time.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

very true..
I wonder if you could tune via the output voltage of the charge. So, say you lose just the tune compensates. Pheww that would get tricky. I'm guessing that they go big enough on the batteries that they will hold steady enough for the 10 second pass.
Not only all that, most of that setup would have to be fabricated..... Hmmmm...lol...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I'm taking supercharging to the next level! I'm gonna design and fabricate a supercharger that is NOT electric, NOT exhaust driven and most certainly NOT belt driven!

I'm creating a standalone supercharger. One that is powered by, (hold for applause) it's own 1.6 Honda VTEC engine! This engine complete with its own 3 speed automatic transmission will be equipped with duel centrifugal superchargers mounted to each CV shaft which sole purpose would be to spool up the supercharges to a whopping 13,000 RPM's providing over 167 psi to your 4.6 or 5.0 engine.

Further upgrade will be things like turbo charging your Honda VTEC supercharger so to produce even more boost 33% more free boost to be exact!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I'm taking supercharging to the next level! I'm gonna design and fabricate a supercharger that is NOT electric, NOT exhaust driven and most certainly NOT belt driven!

I'm creating a standalone supercharger. One that is powered by, (hold for applause) it's own 1.6 Honda VTEC engine! This engine complete with its own 3 speed automatic transmission will be equipped with duel centrifugal superchargers mounted to each CV shaft which sole purpose would be to spool up the supercharges to a whopping 13,000 RPM's providing over 167 psi to your 4.6 or 5.0 engine.

Further upgrade will be things like turbo charging your Honda VTEC supercharger so to produce even more boost 33% more free boost to be exact!
Sweet! i cant wait to see it in action. will it use a large fart can ran next to your normal exhaust?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Sweet! i cant wait to see it in action. will it use a large fart can ran next to your normal exhaust?
The whole system will be mounted to an attached utility trailer that will also double as a wheely bar! The exhaust will actually be combined with your standard axel back exhaust system coupled with 3/8 inch steel braided fuel line.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Here's a video of the prototype using a Geo tracker. Check out how easily the mustang pulls on that mini van at highway speed! http://youtu.be/9H7wzZLUKNs
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Rofl, but we are getting a bit off topic... :/

Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
Rofl, but we are getting a bit off topic... :/
hows his for topic? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_supercharger

the interesting part on the wiki is it talks about eletric assisted turbos! never hear of such a thing.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Wrong thread sorry, disregard

Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
Wrong thread sorry, disregard
lol. its cool man.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
Road Trip!

check this out to. the esc is an electric twin screw 18hp!http://autospeed.com/A_111469/cms/article.html
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
check this out to. the esc is an electric twin screw 18hp!http://autospeed.com/A_111469/cms/article.html
the esc is an eaton brand. its 2000$. it come with batteries brushes silinoids and everything. this one is legit. i believe it sound exactly like the one from the video that was mentioned. 15 second run time, with quick charge.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
the esc is an eaton brand. its 2000$. it come with batteries brushes silinoids and everything. this one is legit. i believe it sound exactly like the one from the video that was mentioned. 15 second run time, with quick charge.
I particularly like this paragraph....

Quote:
The ESC-400 is a great bolt-on for people wanting a big power hit only on the odd occasion. As claimed, "while you're waiting in the staging lanes or cruising along the strip, you can relax and hurl insults at the nitrous guys while your system preps for another 15-second burst of sheer power. That's more than enough time to run the quarter mile or remind that high school kid with the neon muffler bearings who his daddy is..."
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

I particularly like this paragraph....
Haha. Yeah, thats some good stuff.

Did you notice the stuff of electric assisted turbos? The idea is to help spool the turbo in the low end.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Too funny!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Haha. Yeah, thats some good stuff.

Did you notice the stuff of electric assisted turbos? The idea is to help spool the turbo in the low end.
Yeah I saw that too, but I have to wonder how well that can work exposed to the high temps of the exhaust side of the turbo.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah I saw that too, but I have to wonder how well that can work exposed to the high temps of the exhaust side of the turbo.
im not sure. i bet it would be designed for that problem though. it seems to be a very new technology. i believe i saw somewhere that some smaller cars maybe using this tech in the future.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
im not sure. i bet it would be designed for that problem though. it seems to be a very new technology. i believe i saw somewhere that some smaller cars maybe using this tech in the future.
I'm sure they probably at least tried to compensate for that somehow, the question will be, "Were they successful?".
Turbos get really freaking hot, so it's going to take some specialized materials and bearings to withstand the heat and heat is a killer on electical motors. It will be interesting to see what they develop though.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'm sure they probably at least tried to compensate for that somehow, the question will be, "Were they successful?".
Turbos get really freaking hot, so it's going to take some specialized materials and bearings to withstand the heat and heat is a killer on electical motors. It will be interesting to see what they develop though.
Yup I agree. Who know, in 10 years it may become a normal mod for rodders..
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
A guy who owned a speed shop in Torrance, CA used compressed air
to spool up the Turbo on his race car...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
Forum Car Trader
Regular

I used compressed air also it comes from my engine. Lol. Primers idea is hilarious. That fugly mustang pulling that suv

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT