Today is the day !! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Today is the day !!

Well as soon as I get home I'm hitting the road in my coupe. It's been a 4 month build and can't wait. I double checked everything last night even tripled a few things. A couple of things I can't figure out. First everything I start the engine I get a little pop like a intake backfire just once or twice then it's gone. And I checked my timing but it may be an optical illusion but when I let off the gas with the light on it looks like the timing retards itself to 30 or 40. Is that right ?
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe
Well as soon as I get home I'm hitting the road in my coupe. It's been a 4 month build and can't wait. I double checked everything last night even tripled a few things. A couple of things I can't figure out. First everything I start the engine I get a little pop like a intake backfire just once or twice then it's gone. And I checked my timing but it may be an optical illusion but when I let off the gas with the light on it looks like the timing retards itself to 30 or 40. Is that right ?
With a base of 10* it should advance to around 30* total with the spout connected ( vacuum advance for carbed).

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well put 20 miles on the motor seem to run pretty good, couple issues can't release the clutch with out hopping it, and the temp is kinda all over the place. 180, 190, 200 back to 180 and so on. Valves seem to ping if I don't down shift at higher rpm then usual. But all in all it ran pretty good.

I would like to thanks everyone that helped me out in times of freak out during this build. I'll post some photos of my project that you all helped on. Again thanks !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe View Post
Well put 20 miles on the motor seem to run pretty good, couple issues can't release the clutch with out hopping it, and the temp is kinda all over the place. 180, 190, 200 back to 180 and so on. Valves seem to ping if I don't down shift at higher rpm then usual. But all in all it ran pretty good.

I would like to thanks everyone that helped me out in times of freak out during this build. I'll post some photos of my project that you all helped on. Again thanks !!!!
Adjust the clutch and make sure you have burped all the air out of the cooling system. It sounds like your temp sensor is being hit with air bubbles and they won't accurately tell you the temp when that happens.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I adjusted the clutch and its pretty good now. Burped the system again and it's running at 180 to 190. So that's good for me. Having a little issues with the timing. I may have the timing tape on the harmonic balancer wrong. I unpluged the spout and set it at 14 btdc and checked total timing and its hitting above 50. That can't be right. Now if I leave the spout in and set adjustment to 30 at 2500 and pull the spout it hitting right at TDC. So I'm going to pull the tape and double check
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Make sure you remove and install the spout with the car off.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Really I have been removing it while running, adjusting, and replace while running. Crap !!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT