exhaust wrap questions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
exhaust wrap questions.

I have some aftermarket headers on my Fox Body Mustang but they look little rusty. would using exhaust wrap on them do any damage to the headers? If so let me know and if there are brands of exhaust wrap that really work and won't damage my headers let me know their name. Cant get new headers yet so this will do for now.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
just fyi, to do amgood jib on the wrap its gonna be way easier to remove them from the car. imwould look at summit racing or jegs. they have a really large selection of wraps.

also unless you really want to block the heat, i would just get some header paint since you really need to take them off anyways. but thats simply an opinion.

good luck man.mif you get it done post up some pics for us.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
just fyi, to do amgood jib on the wrap its gonna be way easier to remove them from the car. imwould look at summit racing or jegs. they have a really large selection of wraps.

also unless you really want to block the heat, i would just get some header paint since you really need to take them off anyways. but thats simply an opinion.

good luck man.mif you get it done post up some pics for us.
Question for you I have two 1/4 inch circle holes on the weld on my x-pipe, every where I take it the place wants $50-$80 to weld the 2 little holes up, can I use header wrap and just wrap the x-pipe, will that stop the leak?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

Question for you I have two 1/4 inch circle holes on the weld on my x-pipe, every where I take it the place wants $50-$80 to weld the 2 little holes up, can I use header wrap and just wrap the x-pipe, will that stop the leak?
Header paints sounds good. Ill probly get a can of black header paint next week and post the pics.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav2 View Post
I have some aftermarket headers on my Fox Body Mustang but they look little rusty. would using exhaust wrap on them do any damage to the headers? If so let me know and if there are brands of exhaust wrap that really work and won't damage my headers let me know their name. Cant get new headers yet so this will do for now.
I would not use exhaust wrap or insulation on any street driven car that will be driven in wet, rainy conditions. It will hold moisture and cause them to rot out a lot sooner than they normally would.
A good quality high temp paint will work good or if you have someone close who does it, they also make a high temp header powder coating nowadays.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

It might 'muffle' the leak but will not stop it at all.. Welding is the answer.. $20-$30 sounds much more reasonable unless the holes are incredibly difficult to reach.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

It might 'muffle' the leak but will not stop it at all.. Welding is the answer.. $20-$30 sounds much more reasonable unless the holes are incredibly difficult to reach.
Yup. Agreed
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust