exhaust wrap questions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Haav2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 173
exhaust wrap questions.

I have some aftermarket headers on my Fox Body Mustang but they look little rusty. would using exhaust wrap on them do any damage to the headers? If so let me know and if there are brands of exhaust wrap that really work and won't damage my headers let me know their name. Cant get new headers yet so this will do for now.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
just fyi, to do amgood jib on the wrap its gonna be way easier to remove them from the car. imwould look at summit racing or jegs. they have a really large selection of wraps.

also unless you really want to block the heat, i would just get some header paint since you really need to take them off anyways. but thats simply an opinion.

good luck man.mif you get it done post up some pics for us.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
just fyi, to do amgood jib on the wrap its gonna be way easier to remove them from the car. imwould look at summit racing or jegs. they have a really large selection of wraps.

also unless you really want to block the heat, i would just get some header paint since you really need to take them off anyways. but thats simply an opinion.

good luck man.mif you get it done post up some pics for us.
Question for you I have two 1/4 inch circle holes on the weld on my x-pipe, every where I take it the place wants $50-$80 to weld the 2 little holes up, can I use header wrap and just wrap the x-pipe, will that stop the leak?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Haav2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

Question for you I have two 1/4 inch circle holes on the weld on my x-pipe, every where I take it the place wants $50-$80 to weld the 2 little holes up, can I use header wrap and just wrap the x-pipe, will that stop the leak?
Header paints sounds good. Ill probly get a can of black header paint next week and post the pics.
Haav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav2 View Post
I have some aftermarket headers on my Fox Body Mustang but they look little rusty. would using exhaust wrap on them do any damage to the headers? If so let me know and if there are brands of exhaust wrap that really work and won't damage my headers let me know their name. Cant get new headers yet so this will do for now.
I would not use exhaust wrap or insulation on any street driven car that will be driven in wet, rainy conditions. It will hold moisture and cause them to rot out a lot sooner than they normally would.
A good quality high temp paint will work good or if you have someone close who does it, they also make a high temp header powder coating nowadays.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

Question for you I have two 1/4 inch circle holes on the weld on my x-pipe, every where I take it the place wants $50-$80 to weld the 2 little holes up, can I use header wrap and just wrap the x-pipe, will that stop the leak?
It might 'muffle' the leak but will not stop it at all.. Welding is the answer.. $20-$30 sounds much more reasonable unless the holes are incredibly difficult to reach.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

It might 'muffle' the leak but will not stop it at all.. Welding is the answer.. $20-$30 sounds much more reasonable unless the holes are incredibly difficult to reach.
Yup. Agreed
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.