Injector plug wires showing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Injector plug wires showing?

I noticed this the other day. The one wire pug into my injector is showing and crap has built up. How do I best fix this. Do they sale a whole wire kit. Could this injector not being working well do to this and Nate why my car is running lean and my spark plugs are frosty white. Any info would be great. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1041465050.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	775.4 KB
ID:	71013
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
I would suggest keeping an eye out for a good injector harness. I would say you could probably cut it and splice a new plug in there but honestly I wouldn't do it to my car so I can't recommend it myself.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
They sell pigtail harnesses for the injectors purdy cheap..I would fix that pronto. I had to do a bunch of soldering on my car a while back when a punk *** squirrel ate a bunch of my wiring harness :/
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Filibuster

The first pic is the 2 injector wires dat lil punk ate!. The second is after solder and heat shrink on the first pigtail harness.
Dat lil jerk made a nest under my hood overnight!..lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_174554.png
Views:	128
Size:	705.5 KB
ID:	71014   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_174708.png
Views:	126
Size:	938.4 KB
ID:	71015  

Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
The first pic is the 2 injector wires dat lil punk ate!. The second is after solder and heat shrink on the first pigtail harness.
Dat lil jerk made a nest under my hood overnight!..lol
Holy hell he was hungry! Should have gave him some nuts!

Didn't know you could get just the pigtails

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Holy hell he was hungry! Should have gave him some nuts!
Oh he was hungry he ate up my salt shaker too!..in da first pic you can see some da shrubbery he was plannin on campin out! Oh trust me I had lil cap fulls of antifreeze under my hood overnight!..i wanted him DEAD!!..he lived in a tree outside my place so I finally caught up wit him and shot him in da face!.
Sorry if this offends anyone. I love animals but this was a pest!..he had it comin!!

And to the OP as long as you can solder there is no problem splicing the wires and using a pigtail. Just make sure your solder is strong and cover it with heat shrink tube. The tube has uh...sniz in it that when it heats up and shrinks it will seal it from corrosion. Then use electrical tape like the original harness.
It almost looks to me like a pest might have been nippin at your harness as well :/

Ps..^dats what she said!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_175711.png
Views:	116
Size:	640.3 KB
ID:	71016   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121003_175750.png
Views:	118
Size:	944.6 KB
ID:	71017  

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Oh he was hungry he ate up my salt shaker too!..in da first pic you can see some da shrubbery he was plannin on campin out! Oh trust me I had lil cap fulls of antifreeze under my hood overnight!..i wanted him DEAD!!..he lived in a tree outside my place so I finally caught up wit him and shot him in da face!.
Sorry if this offends anyone. I love animals but this was a pest!..he had it comin!!

And to the OP as long as you can solder there is no problem splicing the wires and using a pigtail. Just make sure your solder is strong and cover it with heat shrink tube. The tube has uh...sniz in it that when it heats up and shrinks it will seal it from corrosion. Then use electrical tape like the original harness.
It almost looks to me like a pest might have been nippin at your harness as well :/

Ps..^dats what she said!!
that dirty little bastard!
nice job on the fix though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If the wires are not touching each other your probably ok right now,,take some liquid tape and apply several coats on it ,,that will seal it up..They sell it at oreillys i think,,its called liquid tape,,it works pretty well,,Also make sure there is no strands broken or loose in the connector..Sometimes if have to pierce a wire during testing at work ,,it leaves a small hole and i use that liquid tape to seal it back up,,when it dries its like a rubber coating
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
If the wires are not touching each other your probably ok right now,,take some liquid tape and apply several coats on it ,,that will seal it up..They sell it at oreillys i think,,its called liquid tape,,it works pretty well,,Also make sure there is no strands broken or loose in the connector..Sometimes if have to pierce a wire during testing at work ,,it leaves a small hole and i use that liquid tape to seal it back up,,when it dries its like a rubber coating
or just plastidip it. bahaha
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think it's fixed pretty good for now and maybe forever. It wasn't corrosion. It's was the outer casing getting all crusty and dry. Slit the tape back. Put corrosion cleaner and then protection on it. Then taped it singly and the both together and up around the plug. Should hold and stay clean.

Name:	image-2113687455.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	71029
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
I may actually do that too. Already doctored it up but that may be good too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT