AFR's on the way what's everyone's favorite intake? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
have you seen my fabricated aluminum v covers? look in my albums if you need to. but usually these kind are at least 150$+. i got these brand new for 80$ from a place called kmj performance. they are a ebay site, but they have a regular warehouse/store. they dont have great reviews for some of there china type stuff. but i couldnt find anything bad about the covers. but they look sick. they are also taller than stock to clear the rr's. but you may need a spacer to clear them but not sure. but you would for any taller covers somthat wont change with other ones. if you want i can post a pic tomorow?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
Cool, I'll check them out.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

I do have a 3/8 spacer with my new intake. Would that be enough clearance?
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
Cool, I'll check them out.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

I cam measure tomorrow for you. Shoot me a pm in the afternoon so I don't forget. I still have a set of stockers I can compare them to. But it may work because that's prolly close to how much they are taller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
Now I need valve covers. Any thoughts on which ones are "cool"?
Quote:

I like the fabbed covers too, but what I really want is a tall set of the black with red writing Ford valve covers. I settled for a set of ball milled covers from KMJ, KMC, Skip White or one of those eBay cheap parts places. They were only $50-$60 at the time.

To clear the tall valve covers it usually requires a 1" spacer for most of the EFI intakes.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Road Trip!

Would I need the tall valve covers?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #41
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Would I need the tall valve covers?
With RR's you probably will to keep them from hitting the top.
Once you have the heads on and rockers installed you can put some play doh on a rocker and roll the engine over 4 revolutions to determine how much clearance you do or do not have. I think .080" is recommended on most engine parts to allow for growth from heat expansion.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #42
Road Trip!

Okay, thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #43
Road Trip!

What about gaskets? I was going to stick with the trusty old FelPro 9333's since my compression will be low anyways. Anyone see an issue with that? I kind of like the idea of not having an indestructible gasket that forces me to bend a rod before blowing the gasket. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Quote:
What about gaskets? I was going to stick with the trusty old FelPro 9333's since my compression will be low anyways. Anyone see an issue with that? I kind of like the idea of not having an indestructible gasket that forces me to bend a rod before blowing the gasket. Thoughts?
I'm not sure if they are rated for that or not, but I don't think they are. Will see what trojan says though.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I'm not sure if they are rated for that or not, but I don't think they are. Will see what trojan says though.

I just checked the AFR site and they actually have recommendations for all the gaskets. No need for me to think too hard on that one.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:

I just checked the AFR site and they actually have recommendations for all the gaskets. No need for me to think too hard on that one.
Perfect. Best to use what they recommend. Does it also say for forced induction applications?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
Perfect. Best to use what they recommend. Does it also say for forced induction applications?
Yep
Old 10-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yep
Sweet.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #49
Road Trip!

It also has a dyno sheet for my exact engine with my exact heads (carbed) rather than efi like my set up. Either way they made 453 HP, so I'm gonna have a hard time staying around 500 with my turbo. This is going to cause problems. Maybe I should think about this. Different direction maybe?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

You don't want to weld a bunch of steel under my car next Spring do you? I'm gonna end up with a pretzel

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

A fast, stock looking pretzel.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #50
Road Trip!

I say best to use what they want. But if you want a great gasket. Trojan recently found a Mr gasket brand MLS gasket that doesn't require a specific ra finish like the other ones do. But I can't review them by experience cause I don't have any with them.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Quote:
I say best to use what they want. But if you want a great gasket. Trojan recently found a Mr gasket brand MLS gasket that doesn't require a specific ra finish like the other ones do. But I can't review them by experience cause I don't have any with them.

Okay, I'll check them out, but my block is new and my heads have been milled so I'd probably be good.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #52
Road Trip!

You looking for some "dreamstangs custom connectors"? Lol
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
You looking for some "dreamstangs custom connectors"? Lol
Haha, I think I might be
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
Road Trip!

If you need information on the gasket I'm talking about. It should be a very recent post on my thread "what it takes for forced induction and much more" it shouldn't be to far down in this section.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #55
Road Trip!

I'll check
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
Road Trip!
Supporter

I liked what I saw of the Mr Gasket MLS, as to how well it works I don't know yet, but I intend on trying a set when I pull (supervise pulling I should say) the heads to install the Valley Girdle Pro.

P.S. Problems with too much HP is a good problem to have IMO.
With the HP mine makes now the formula says that around 8 psi of boost I should hit the 600 HP range. If it does and stays together it's going to be a carnival ride until I figure out how to stick it to the pavement. My wife is gonna shoot me for sure.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #57
Road Trip!

Ditto
Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #58
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I liked what I saw of the Mr Gasket MLS, as to how well it works I don't know yet, but I intend on trying a set when I pull (supervise pulling I should say) the heads to install the Valley Girdle Pro.

P.S. Problems with too much HP is a good problem to have IMO.
With the HP mine makes now the formula says that around 8 psi of boost I should hit the 600 HP range. If it does and stays together it's going to be a carnival ride until I figure out how to stick it to the pavement. My wife is gonna shoot me for sure.
dont worry, she wont unload the whole clip. she needs some left for when project 408 goes down.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #59
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
dont worry, she wont unload the whole clip. she needs some left for when project 408 goes down.
Yeah, she hasn't even heard about that one just yet.
I tell you though with what I have spent on her and for her lately she should be pretty mellow for a while. She's a great woman and she has stuck with me through all of my hard drinking, bad temper and fighting days, so I have to treat her right and do for her whatever I can, whenever I can.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #60
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yeah, she hasn't even heard about that one just yet.
I tell you though with what I have spent on her and for her lately she should be pretty mellow for a while. She's a great woman and she has stuck with me through all of my hard drinking, bad temper and fighting days, so I have to treat her right and do for her whatever I can, whenever I can.
exactly! sounds like you got a great woman!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #61
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
exactly! sounds like you got a great woman!
Yep, we've been married since we were 17 and people around here said it would never last and it was a BAM.

To them, they were wrong.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #62
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Yep, we've been married since we were 17 and people around here said it would never last and it was a BAM.

To them, they were wrong.
Nice, congrats!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Intake showed up two days ago and AFR's came today. If only I had a garage
Awesome. These heads don't even look used!
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Can't you always just run lower boost out of the turbo? Like maybe only spool to like 4 lbs?
I don't know it sounds like it'd be possible to me

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
Can't you always just run lower boost out of the turbo? Like maybe only spool to like 4 lbs?
I don't know it sounds like it'd be possible to me
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some turbos 'too big' to only spool to 4lbs?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #66
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some turbos 'too big' to only spool to 4lbs?
depends on the spring in the bov. but if you could get the right one i dont see why not. his plans he was talking about are already with low boost though.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

depends on the spring in the bov. but if you could get the right one i dont see why not. his plans he was talking about are already with low boost though.
I don't know much of anything about turbos so that's why I threw the question out there. And if he wants to stay at a given horsepower, I would think that you could just go lower on the boost. Quicker spool, easier on the block, less fuel... But I'm just talking out of my ***. I don't know much about turbos regardless lol

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

makes sense. I guess I've just never seen anyone run 4lbs other than the tiny little turbos on the neon srt's and the vw's etc. I had always assumed a turbo of a certain size could only spool so low, just like turbos can only spool up to so much boost.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #69
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623

makes sense. I guess I've just never seen anyone run 4lbs other than the tiny little turbos on the neon srt's and the vw's etc. I had always assumed a turbo of a certain size could only spool so low, just like turbos can only spool up to so much boost.
well the turbo would still spool the same but the boost would exit through the bov. but who knows? maybe you cant even get a spring that small for certain size turbos.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
Road Trip!

Quote:
well the turbo would still spool the same but the boost would exit through the bov. but who knows? maybe you cant even get a spring that small for certain size turbos.
Just got back. The problem is that the new motor is going to be pretty efficient I think. 3-5 lbs max is probaly what I'll be able to run due to the block limits. That could add anywhere from 50-150hp for all I know. On my crappy old stock motor with stock everything and a Chinese turbo, I got about a 15hp to the wheels gain per lb of boost. Now I have an awesome motor and and awesome turbo. I'm gonna end up with a lot more power than I planned. No big deal it just means I'll be doing this all again in a year or whenever I split the block and then I'll get a boss or a Dart and I'll go for 700hp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT