AFR's on the way what's everyone's favorite intake? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #71
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Just got back. The problem is that the new motor is going to be pretty efficient I think. 3-5 lbs max is probaly what I'll be able to run due to the block limits. That could add anywhere from 50-150hp for all I know. On my crappy old stock motor with stock everything and a Chinese turbo, I got about a 15hp to the wheels gain per lb of boost. Now I have an awesome motor and and awesome turbo. I'm gonna end up with a lot more power than I planned. No big deal it just means I'll be doing this all again in a year or whenever I split the block and then I'll get a boss or a Dart and I'll go for 700hp
then you can add a twin! lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #72
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
Haha orI can just go to 12 or 15 lbs of boost
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #73
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
You should be able to bleed off any excessive boost pressure and make it produce whatever you want. If nothing else a locking manual valve in the piping could do it.
That would work as a bypass on almost any boosted engine.

You are headed in basically the same direction as I am, but I'm adding what I can to make the block live as long as possible. Once I get through the initial installation and tune, I'm going to keep upping the boost until I get scared or the block gives out. I'll be getting pretty apprehensive after it gets over 600, so if I make it past that ok, 700 will probably be enough to make me stop. If it gives out then the 408 will be on its way in.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #74
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
You should be able to bleed off any excessive boost pressure and make it produce whatever you want. If nothing else a locking manual valve in the piping could do it.

You are headed in basically the same direction as I am, but I'm adding what I can to make the block live as long as possible. Once I get through the initial installation and tune, I'm going to keep upping the boost until I get scared or the block gives out. I'll be getting pretty apprehensive after it gets over 600, so if I make it past that ok, 700 will probably be enough to make me stop. If it gives out then the 408 will be on its way in.

Which block are you talking about now? Stock one?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

It's definitely doable. I'm not positive what my motor is at the flywheel but its at 548rwhp right now. So I'd guesstimate somewhere in the 620-630hp range at the fly. And it hasn't had the slightest problem so far. But then again that's why I'm swapping motors haha.
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #76
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
It's definitely doable. I'm not positive what my motor is at the flywheel but its at 548rwhp right now. So I'd guesstimate somewhere in the 620-630hp range at the fly. And it hasn't had the slightest problem so far. But then again that's why I'm swapping motors haha.
Okay, good to know. What size injectors are you using?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

Okay, good to know. What size injectors are you using?
I run 63's. originally I planned on running 80's but my dad was quick to talk me outta that, and I'm glad because the 63's were plenty.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623

I run 63's. originally I planned on running 80's but my dad was quick to talk me outta that, and I'm glad because the 63's were plenty.
What size are you planning on running?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #78
Road Trip!

Good to know, thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

60's

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Did you use stock fuel lines and rails?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #79
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
Which block are you talking about now? Stock one?
It may start out with a factory block, but if funds are available it will be the Boss 351 block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post

You wouldn't happen to have a dyno on that that shows the AFR would you?
Then describe your fuel system. I'd like to see what it takes to support that range of power and what the AFR's are with those components.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #80
Road Trip!

Here's the head I have:
SBF 185cc Street Heads, 72cc Chambers, Stud Mount, Complete with parts
[1420*]

Here's the info from AFR's site:

Better to go to the site, it did not cut and paste well. Also I just noticed that this is for a 331 with 165 heads and mine are 185's so the numbers may actually be higher in an apples to apples comparison.

Dyno Test Criteria

453 HP
331ci
165cc AFR
9.6:1
650 cfm Speed Demon
36° Timing
248° .550 - Solid Roller
1 3/4
90 Octane
Wieand Excelarator

Here is the link to the actual page on their site: Air Flow Research

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

My fuel system is basic. I have eith the 255 or the 340lph in tank fuel pump and stock lines,rails,regulator. With 42lb injectors.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #81
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
Here's the head I have:
SBF 185cc Street Heads, 72cc Chambers, Stud Mount, Complete with parts
[1420*]

Here's the info from AFR's site:

Better to go to the site, it did not cut and paste well. Also I just noticed that this is for a 331 with 165 heads and mine are 185's so the numbers may actually be higher in an apples to apples comparison.

Dyno Test Criteria

453 HP
331ci
165cc AFR
9.6:1
650 cfm Speed Demon
36° Timing
248° .550 - Solid Roller
1 3/4
90 Octane
Wieand Excelarator

Here is the link to the actual page on their site: Air Flow Research

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

My fuel system is basic. I have eith the 255 or the 340lph in tank fuel pump and stock lines,rails,regulator. With 42lb injectors.
Oh yeah, scroll down a bit on that page, that's what we're talking about! (insert drool icon here)

You may need an external booster pump, but I'm not 100% sure. I put together what I have after researching and remember that it is pretty much the minimal for the 500-600 HP range. It's better to have too much than not enough anyways.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #82
Road Trip!

Yeah that 347 they tested with the same heads I have, made over 700hp on 15lbs. That's basically what I have with the exception of a strong enough block

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

I'll aim for that in phase 7.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

It may start out with a factory block, but if funds are available it will be the Boss 351 block.

You wouldn't happen to have a dyno on that that shows the AFR would you?
Then describe your fuel system. I'd like to see what it takes to support that range of power and what the AFR's are with those components.
I do have the dyno on a disc, but I've got about 5 or 6 of them. If you can give me some time I can dig around and maybe save some screen shots and throw them on here. I had contemplated switching out my fuel lines and running 1/2" lines and switching to a bbrc fuel rail setup, but after doing a lot of research and talking back and forth with a few people I came to the conclusion that the stock lines and rails will provide more than enough fuel to split the block in half. So I kept that setup because their wasn't any point in doing it at the time when I knew I'd be doing this dart build soon. So I kept it as is and so far it's worked perfectly. Now fuel pumps are a different story but I know you already know what that requires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT