Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Pro comp heads vs gt 40p heads

21K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
I can get a set of "p" heads for 300. But by the time I have them milled ported polished and a valve job put on them ill have 600 in them total. Or for 650 I can get pro comp aluminum 215cc intake runner cnc ported heads am I better going the pro comp route??

#6 ·
I was about to buy some pro comps and then I started do some "digging" on them. They are inexpensive for a reason. For example the "decking" isn't as thick as some of the more expensive heads whick can lead to warpage easier. Second the place where the rockers bolt in the threads aren't that deep and the material around them isn't as thick as other heads so they can pull out easier. That's what I found out so I went with some tfs heads. That's my two cents. ;)

#8 ·
Yes, the aluminum heads will flow better with some mild porting and you get the added benefit of weight reduction on the front end.

#11 ·
All I can tell you for sure is that a cousin of mine has used them and ported them. I personally do not have any experience with them.

Contact the company directly and just ask them about your concerns point blank.

#13 ·
Do a Google search for "Pro Comp Heads Reviews" and read the Ford Muscle and SBFTech reviews on them. :good:

#15 ·
Yes, but that does not have the Pro Comp heads, I think they used those on a pulling truck engine for his sons and it placed first in a few pulls.

A big BUT though, that's on Chevy engines and there are some big differences there, so maybe they work good on Chevys, but not so good on Fords due to head design differences. The reviews I read were all over the place, some good some bad. I don't think I would buy them myself, just because they are Made in China.

#16 ·
Trojan Horse said:
Yes, but that does not have the Pro Comp heads, I think they used those on a pulling truck engine for his sons and it placed first in a few pulls.

A big BUT though, that's on Chevy engines and there are some big differences there, so maybe they work good on Chevys, but not so good on Fords due to head design differences. The reviews I read were all over the place, some good some bad. I don't think I would buy them myself, just because they are Made in China.
Gotcha.
I'm still waiting on some more reviews for those flowtech heads. My buddy with the 6:71 that keeps blowing his engine has them and loves them. But same thing, its on a Chevy. There's just not much I info on them though.

#17 ·
Ed Curtis can tell you about them. :good:

#20 ·
Oh ok, here's an article on those - Flo And Go

#21 ·
Trojan Horse said:
Oh ok, here's an article on those - Flo And Go
Yes I have read that one a while back. That's what sparked my interest. Just, tfs,edelbrock, afr etc etc you can find tons of forum first hand reviews. But these you really can't. I like to have tons of reviews and information on stuff like that. I guess these just arent out there enough yet?

#22 ·
I guess not. I did read the article and downloaded the dyno sheet. I actually thought their gains with the HCI were pretty meager at around 50 HP and 50 torque, but maybe I expect too much?

#23 ·
Trojan Horse said:
I guess not. I did read the article and downloaded the dyno sheet. I actually thought their gains with the HCI were pretty meager at around 50 HP and 50 torque, but maybe I expect too much?
I guess I could have refreshed on it? I thought I remembered them being pleased. But then again I think these heads are dirt cheap. So I wouldn't expect gains close to that of top performers. But to me they would be a good way to step up from the gt40 type setup and maybe drop some weight doing it? Not sure, but I definitely wouldn't be trading my tfs for a set. Lol.

#25 ·
WhiteCobra94 said:
My thing is if your gonna buy cheap cylinder heads $600-$800, why not save an extra $100-$200 for a Name Brand company , the Edelbrock E-Street heads they are complete entry level heads for $900-$940

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5023
I'm with you on that. Some people spend a few hundred on the gt40s. Guys like us want the goodies. These just seem to be that middle option imo. I'm sure some people have trouble dropping a grand on a car part, especially if they get the wife involved! ;) lol

#26 ·
I'm sure some people have trouble dropping a grand on a car part, especially if they get the wife involved! ;) lol
Therein lies the key. I just spent a LOT of money (for me anyways) on my wife, sooooo........................................$$$$ for PARTS! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.