Car Shaking Apart - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Car Shaking Apart

Ok so this issue is worrying me a bit, but I really have no idea what it could be. Symptoms - 2.5k+ RPM in fifth gear and the car starts to vibrate a lot. The stick actually shakes very violently at this speed but as soon as I drop the speed all vibration goes away. I do not know what speed it is exactly as the gearing was changed, but I estimate about 75mph. Also whenever I change from zero throttle to any amount (at those specific on/off points) I here a slight grind/whine and feel a small vibration in the floor panel. I was thinking that could be an unhappy fuel pump not liking the on/off but the first one with the car shaking itself apart just confuses me, around those speed ill occasionally see the speedo get to 35mph and jerk back and forth until i let off the gas. THIS IS A NEW ISSUE, I bought the car last week and this first started this monday. Thanks so much in advance, I really want to take good care of this car.
-Billy
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich
Ok so this issue is worrying me a bit, but I really have no idea what it could be. Symptoms - 2.5k+ RPM in fifth gear and the car starts to vibrate a lot. The stick actually shakes very violently at this speed but as soon as I drop the speed all vibration goes away. I do not know what speed it is exactly as the gearing was changed, but I estimate about 75mph. Also whenever I change from zero throttle to any amount (at those specific on/off points) I here a slight grind/whine and feel a small vibration in the floor panel. I was thinking that could be an unhappy fuel pump not liking the on/off but the first one with the car shaking itself apart just confuses me, around those speed ill occasionally see the speedo get to 35mph and jerk back and forth until i let off the gas. THIS IS A NEW ISSUE, I bought the car last week and this first started this monday. Thanks so much in advance, I really want to take good care of this car.
-Billy
What year model?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
hmm.. a vibration could be anything...driveshaft, tire, harmonic balancer.. but sounds kinda like a messed up flywheel to me.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
-Billy
Sounds like you may have issues in one or more of these places, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft or harmonic balancer. Like dreamstang, said.
If you are sure the tires and wheels are properly balanced, that is.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just a note for everyone. Tire vibrations normally start around 45 mph. To narrow it down to drive shaft/axles you can lift or push the throttle. If either change it it is in the drive line. Flywheel and balancer normally are rpm sensitive and not speed sensitive. I would check the u joints and also trans mount and rear bushings as well as the pinion gear for play. My guess is a u joint getting sticky. Good luck with your car.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
As stated above the first place I would check is to make sure the tires are balanced. One sign would be the faster you go, the more it shakes.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just went through similar issue with my mustang replaced everthing ended up bein the fly wheel. But i had vibration in every gear at a sertain rpm
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So, I got under my car yesterday, oil change, filter change etc. But silly me... I forgot to check the drive shaft for play and I forgot to check bushings. Well "luckily" I believe I have a blown head gasket too, so I have to get my car into a garage on Saturday. Hopefully I can check it then. Thanks for all the advice Ill let you know how it goes guys.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hate to bring a dead thread back but I figured it might help someone else out, checked the driveshaft, no real play to it. But when I had the car lifted a couple weeks ago, I was sitting there frustrated trying to redo the heads, anyways long story short, I started idly spinning the wheels and noticed a difference in wheel profile as it spun around, figured it could be some minor flat spotting (last owner had the car sitting quite a bit) can balancing the tires help this or no? I probably wont replace the tires till next spring (or if I decide I have to drive it a lot this winter Ill get some good winter tires).
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Hate to bring a dead thread back but I figured it might help someone else out, checked the driveshaft, no real play to it. But when I had the car lifted a couple weeks ago, I was sitting there frustrated trying to redo the heads, anyways long story short, I started idly spinning the wheels and noticed a difference in wheel profile as it spun around, figured it could be some minor flat spotting (last owner had the car sitting quite a bit) can balancing the tires help this or no? I probably wont replace the tires till next spring (or if I decide I have to drive it a lot this winter Ill get some good winter tires).
Flat spots will usually come out of tires after they have been driven on a while and warmed up. What you are seeing may be some slipped or broken belts in the tire. Those necessitate tire replacement. Balancing the tire/wheel will not help.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The only thing I can add to that is that if you have flat spots or feathering( wierd ridges in the edge of the tread) some tire shops actually have a machine that cuts about two 32's of tread off and re-rounds the tire. That said, anything like belt issues or ply seperation is dangerous and means new tires.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My car shakes too, not violently though, but I might not be getting the rpms up high enough. It is an automatic and I drive very easy. My tires are awful, they are completely dry rotted and are 8 years old, most of which it sat. I am getting new tires within the next few weeks so I will let you know if it helps.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Check your u-joints, I had a problem with shaking and when I replaced my u-joints it stopped. My mechanic told me they were bent to hell

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

Lol, all of them burnouts and doughnuts with a lotta torque made them where they looked like a guy holding his hands out with about two inches in between them. I ended up replacing my driveshaft too with an aluminum one because it shook so much it threw a couple of balancing weights off
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

U joints are fine I believe, I had a pretty knowledgeable tech help me check, If I decide to get some tires I'll let you guys know if It helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT