efi vs carb - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
efi vs carb

the mods that are done to my car so far. 302 n/a maybe 125 shot
smog del
catted h pipe
cobra intake and 75 mm tb
shorty headers

svo heads (going on in the winter)
cam ( dont know yet)
the point for this thread is because my father said i could make more power with a carb over efi. i have looked over the web and havent really find my ask. my car is a drag car and will be driven to the track about hour or so away, so gas and emisson i dont really have to worry about. i like the carb look over the efi but thats beside the point i want to know what will make more power.
Ponyexpressjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
imo its all about the tune. and on efi the ecu is doing the work.

this is from the sticky section.

EFI vs Carburetor
This is a long running argument between both factions.
I have located several articles and one humorous video spoof for your perusal and entertainment.

- Humorous video made from a forum discussion, partially spoofed for your entertainment.

Carb vs Injection - Are carburetors dead?

Carb vs EFI - How it works.

Holley vs Holley - It's EFI vs Carb in a big block dyno showdown.

Carb vs Injection - An opinion of why fuel injection out performs carburetors.

Barry Grant - Tuning Tips and Trouble Shooting
Link: Tuning Tips and Trouble Shooting

Fuel comes out of vent tube or runs out.
A) Lower float level
B) Decrease fuel pressure
C) Remove, clean/replace needle-&-seat
D) Inspect float to ensure it's moving freely

Backfires or Pops through carburetor.
A) Open idle-mixture screws
B) Increase squirter size
C) Increase jet size
D) Raise float level

Backfires or Pops through exhaust.
A) Lower float level
C) Decrease jet size
D) Readjust butterfly position, primary & secondary

Engine won't start.
A) Prime carburetor with fuel
B) Pump squirters to get fuel flowing
C) Check ignition timing

Fuel leaks from throttle shafts.
A) Lower float level
C) Readjust butterfly position, primary & secondary

Is rich at idle.
A) Increase initial timing
B) Go in on mixture screws
C) Readjust butterfly positions
D) Lower float level
E) Decrease fuel pressure.

Stumbles under light acceleration.
A) Open mixture screws
B) Readjust butterfly positions
C) Raise float level

Stumbles under hard acceleration.
A) Readjust butterfly position
B) Increase squirter size

Won't return to idle.
A) Increase initial timing
B) Readjust butterflies

Surges at part throttle.
A) Open idle-mixture screws
B) Open primary butterflies & close secondary
C) Raise float level
D) Increase jet size

Emits black smoke under hard acceleration.
A) Lower float level
C) Decrease jet size
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Like dream said the tune is always the biggest factor. I've always preferred efi simply because its usually more efficient and rides/runs smoother. The downside to efi is it requires a masters degree in rocket science to tune a heavily modified efi motor, where as a carbed setup can be tuned by anyone willing to do 5 minutes of solid research online.
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Amen ^smith
Bily Pepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
i understand what you guys are saying just want someone to give me some #'s
i agree with its going to be close. and like #smith said you need to be rocket scince for efi. im far from that and dont have the money for the dyno and tuner ( only if i find anderson pcm tuner and tune at the track) that all i really need it for. so that why i was thinking carb would be faster and easier on the pocket. thanks #smith and dream
Ponyexpressjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
where as a carbed setup can be tuned by anyone willing to do 5 minutes of solid research online.
That's not quite true, as I can tell you from many years of working on carburetors. Tuning them requires a very good understanding of how they work and how they are affected by temperature and humidity changes. You must learn how to read spark plugs, learn how the jets, squirters, venturi, air bleeds, adjust screws, fuel pumps, fuel cams, diaphragms, power valves, etc., etc., work and can affect tuning one.

I will always prefer EFI over any carburetor for a Street driven car's engine and even on a race car engine these days.
When properly tuned they start & idle better in the cold months, run smoother and burn less fuel than a carbureted engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyexpressjr View Post
the mods that are done to my car so far. 302 n/a maybe 125 shot
smog del
catted h pipe
cobra intake and 75 mm tb
shorty headers

svo heads (going on in the winter)
cam ( dont know yet)
the point for this thread is because my father said i could make more power with a carb over efi. i have looked over the web and havent really find my ask. my car is a drag car and will be driven to the track about hour or so away, so gas and emisson i dont really have to worry about. i like the carb look over the efi but thats beside the point i want to know what will make more power.
The carburetor did just barely edge out the EFI on a full on race car in a comparison test I saw several years ago, BUT like my previous post stated they are NOT all that easy to tune either. When racing with them you will probably need to re-tune it each time the temperature and humidity changes when you go to the track. Otherwise on some days it will run great and others it will run poorly.

With the advancements made in recent years to the EFI systems and their programming software and capabilities, I have my doubts that it is still true that a carbed car will edge out the EFI. The biggest thing going for a carburetor these days IMO is simply that they are cheaper.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
The answer is simple, EFI.

Even NASCAR is using it now, aftermarket systems and factory stuff is better, safer, more reliable and cheaper than in the past. Like stated with a little cash the tuning capability is greater then ever, even obd1(PMS).

Unless you live in a clean room environment then carbs require constant attention when compared to EFI. Not saying you'll be adjusting a carb every other day, just sayn when compared to EFI carbs need more attention.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Road Trip!

I run a carb and I love it. But I wouldn't have converted it if it wasn't already done.It has an old school look to it. And cleans the engine bay up good. But I wouldn't say its "better than efi" . It can be slapped together easier and In some cases will save some dough. But as said does require more attention. Which I don't mind being one with the car.

But why switch if you already have efi? It would almost cost more to co vert then to leave the efi. You have to buy a distributor, fuel pump, intake, and carb. That adds up quick. And an efi sytem will be way more consistent under climates changes etc.

This is kinda like one of those never ending debates. There are pros and cons to either way.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hopefully no one took any offense to my post, it was more of a smartass comment with no disrespect intended. TH and Dream I know exactly what it takes to keep a carb meticulously tuned, and its an enormous chore, seems like everytime the weather changed I was pulling plugs and retuning. IMO it's just not worth the constant attention, I'd prefer efi everyday of the week over a carb, but a nice carb setup will always look a hell of a lot cooler than efi.
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623
Hopefully no one took any offense to my post, it was more of a smartass comment with no disrespect intended. TH and Dream I know exactly what it takes to keep a carb meticulously tuned, and its an enormous chore, seems like everytime the weather changed I was pulling plugs and retuning. IMO it's just not worth the constant attention, I'd prefer efi everyday of the week over a carb, but a nice carb setup will always look a hell of a lot cooler than efi.
Yup. And I didn't take any offense. Just getting some info and opinions out there.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Yup. And I didn't take any offense. Just getting some info and opinions out there.
Ditto, and hope I didn't offend. My 87' had a Holley 750 dual feed vacuum secondaries. It would not run when I got it, swapped it over and it ran great..!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
No, offense at all. That's why I was laughing when I posted my reply.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623

Come on man. You've got guys here with decades of experience telling you otherwise, and its true. A carbureted motor is very time consuming trying to keep it tuned for all sorts or weather conditions, temp and humidity can instantly cause a carb to run different. It changes everything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT