Parking Stang for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Parking Stang for winter

I always park my car in the winters but never do any sort of 'winterizing' because ill run out and start it a few times a week and cruise it up and down the drive to keep everything loose. This winter ill be putting the car on stands, pulling the motor and starting a new build, so it's gonna be sitting for probably the next 6-12 months. Obviously there's nothing I need to do to the motor as it won't have one, but is their anything you guys would so to any other parts of the car such as tranny, brakes, axles etc to keep anything from freezing/locking up?
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
I always park my car in the winters but never do any sort of 'winterizing' because ill run out and start it a few times a week and cruise it up and down the drive to keep everything loose. This winter ill be putting the car on stands, pulling the motor and starting a new build, so it's gonna be sitting for probably the next 6-12 months. Obviously there's nothing I need to do to the motor as it won't have one, but is their anything you guys would so to any other parts of the car such as tranny, brakes, axles etc to keep anything from freezing/locking up?
No, they should be ok if it's inside. I've stored cars for years at a time and never had any problems with any of that. The worst issue I ever had was when I stored one in a garage that had a dirt/gravel floor. The under body rusted up badly from the moisture in the dirt/gravel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had an issue with mice a couple years ago chewing up stuff and making nests. I was told mice don't like the "bounce" dryer sheets. Last year I loaded up my coupe and spring time not one mouse or nests.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

No, they should be ok if it's inside. I've stored cars for years at a time and never had any problems with any of that. The worst issue I ever had was when I stored one in a garage that had a dirt/gravel floor. The under body rusted up badly from the moisture in the dirt/gravel.
Was it to the point that the car was undrivable? Moisture shouldn't be a problem with me, but then again I guess it could being I live in a very humid climate and my garage isn't heated :/

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe
I had an issue with mice a couple years ago chewing up stuff and making nests. I was told mice don't like the "bounce" dryer sheets. Last year I loaded up my coupe and spring time not one mouse or nests.
My garage is sealed pretty tight but this sounds like a cheap safety precaution worth giving a try. How often did you change the sheets?
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I changed them a couple of times. I got mine at the dollar store for a buck. Couple of years ago opening up my car and smelling mouse pee is nasty.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
Was it to the point that the car was undrivable? Moisture shouldn't be a problem with me, but then again I guess it could being I live in a very humid climate and my garage isn't heated :/

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

My garage is sealed pretty tight but this sounds like a cheap safety precaution worth giving a try. How often did you change the sheets?
No, it wasn't undriveable, but it went from an almost pristine state with normal scratches and dings to a bubbled up mess. Thankfully it didn't rust through. On the other side of the garage is a concrete floor and I haven't had any problems storing on that side. The garage is not heated in those two bays either.

To keep away mice/spiders/bugs I use cedar blocks inside the cars and mothballs in a dish or one of those closet mothball containers on top of and under the car. Works perfectly and even keeps the cats away from and off of the car too, until the mothballs completely dissolve anyways. Then I just pour in a few more.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT