brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
brakes

On 94-95 GT's is there more braking force in the front or rear? I'm thinking front or maybe even 50/50 but I may be wrong...
Georgia331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia331 View Post
On 94-95 GT's is there more braking force in the front or rear? I'm thinking front or maybe even 50/50 but I may be wrong...
The bias is always towards the front brakes, otherwise the back brakes could lock and cause an uncontrollable skid.
The exact bias depends on the brakes used, weight of the car, etc., etc.. The proportions are different for disk and drum brakes, which is why when converting an older Mustang to rear disk brakes you need to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The bias is always towards the front brakes, otherwise the back brakes could lock and cause an uncontrollable skid.
The exact bias depends on the brakes used, weight of the car, etc., etc.. The proportions are different for disk and drum brakes, which is why when converting an older Mustang to rear disk brakes you need to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
Ok cool. Reason I'm asking is...to save some money I was thinking of keeping the rear rotors stock and going slotted up front with hawk pads all the way around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
You're Welcome & Good Luck with your project.

That should not have any effect on the proportioning.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
slotted/drilled wont really do anything for stopping with OEM style pads, but they will look different. If they are not coated they will rust like crazy FYI (you can paint them with high temp engine paint (every inch of them if you wish) after you remove any oil from them from the factory.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
slotted/drilled wont really do anything for stopping with OEM style pads, but they will look different. If they are not coated they will rust like crazy FYI (you can paint them with high temp engine paint (every inch of them if you wish) after you remove any oil from them from the factory.
Hawk makes slotted and UV coated replacement rotors for 190 a pair so I was going to turn the rears and put these on the front. I was also going to run Hawk pads (street/track pads) on all four corners.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Yeah the benifits of a drilled/slotted rotor are just cooling. They are great for auto x where a lot of hard breaking is going on.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Yeah the benifits of a drilled/slotted rotor are just cooling. They are great for auto x where a lot of hard breaking is going on.
That's what I bought the car for

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT