Winterizing the Mustang! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Winterizing the Mustang!

Ok I live in Pa right outside of Philadelphia, winter is cold and snow is hit or miss. Now my bother does not drive his car from December till march and what he does is he takes his valve covers off and unbolts his rocker arms so the valves aren't open for 4 months without being turned on.

Now my question is, my car will sit for about 2 months, would that be good for myself to unbolt my rocker arms or just go out once a week Nd start the car up?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I haven't heard of that being neccesary. I also don't think if you properly winterize it, that it will be neccesary to start it up once a week. But I usually do on mine. All though I won't be this winter until I get some new.lifters. if trojan sees this I know he has a good winterizing technique I have read a few times.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Ok I live in Pa right outside of Philadelphia, winter is cold and snow is hit or miss. Now my bother does not drive his car from December till march and what he does is he takes his valve covers off and unbolts his rocker arms so the valves aren't open for 4 months without being turned on.

Now my question is, my car will sit for about 2 months, would that be good for myself to unbolt my rocker arms or just go out once a week Nd start the car up?
On a stock engine I wouldn't worry about it too much, but on a performance engine with higher pressure springs it's a good idea.
Might save you the cost of replacing the springs because some were compressed all winter and lost their strength.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

On a stock engine I wouldn't worry about it too much, but on a performance engine with higher pressure springs it's a good idea.
Might save you the cost of replacing the springs because some were compressed all winter and lost their strength.
Well my block is bored .040 over, and I have the Edelbrock RPM heads with 1.7 rockers
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Well my block is bored .040 over, and I have the Edelbrock RPM heads with 1.7 rockers
I would loosen or remove the rockers on those heads and let the valves close completely on all cylinders.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Ok sounds good!!! Thanks
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:19 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.