Rebuilding - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Rebuilding

So I posted a thread about buying a cobra a while back, but I thought of all the blood,sweat, and curse words I have put into m 94' GT. so I am rebuilding it. I bought a 1994 Bronco as my daily driver, so the stang is now my money pit. I am going through the motor, and I want opinions... What parts do you guys think are good for each of these, Cam, intake manifold,heads, rollers, and any other suggestions. I am only 17 so I am trying to keep it affordable, but I don't want to cut corners. I also want to get some opinions on what clutch I should get, I am running 3.73 gears in the rear, but I want more acceleration, I don't want to swap gears and lose too much has mileage, so is there a way to gain acceleration through more power? If you can, let me know.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would start by setting realistic/specific goals that consider your budget, time, and skills. Once you establish these we should be able to help you more
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
+1 just for top end kits used to new you can spend $1,000-$3,000 just for parts.

Are you keeping your block or boring / stroking it?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend!

(Just a FYI I rebuilt my car from motor / trans / fuel system and I'm around $14,000 for parts)
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I plan on doing a top end kit and a bottom end freshen up after the first of the year, and I budgeted about 4k. The top end kit I want is $2,800 alone.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
I plan on doing a top end kit and a bottom end freshen up after the first of the year, and I budgeted about 4k. The top end kit I want is $2,800 alone.
Check out www.latemodelrestoration.com

They have a budget shortblock for $999
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ng-Short-Block

Or a fired block for $1,800
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Forged-Pistons
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cool! I like the one with forged pistons because I'm thinking forced induction in the future. Thanks man!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yup no prob!!! Good luck
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Also, keep in mind that no matter how much you budget it's going to cost more. Just be realistic with your guesstimates
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Forum Car Trader
Regular

+1 that it always does plan on 30% more than your original guesstimate.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
I may be wrong but i think i heard the latemodelrestoration short blocks are no good. They bore them pretty far and they are sleeved.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox
I would start by setting realistic/specific goals that consider your budget, time, and skills. Once you establish these we should be able to help you more
I have realistic goals. As far as specifics go, that's why I want opinions. I have full bolt ons minus a throttle body and I want opinions on what you more experienced mustang guys think I should do. This is my first mustang, so I want ideas from people who have learned from trial and error. I listed specific parts I am 100% sure I am going to replace. I don't see what else you are wanting me to say? If anything YOU can ask me specific questions that you have an opinion on. I am not planning on switching my induction, and I don't know what I want to do about stroking it. That's why I am asking. I would like to keep the block if I can. But if anything, I would just buy an already assembled motor for cheaper than paying to replace everything. Sorry if I am sounding like an *******. I asked for opinions. And I don't know where I want to go with it yet. That's the reason for me posting this thread.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox
And I bought a daily driver so that I wouldn't be pressed for time. So that isn't a problem. And as far as skills go, I am capable of just about everything I want to do, and if I can't, I am surrounded by guys who can.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
If I am not having problems with my block, wouldn't it be cheaper to just strip it down and rebuild it, over buying a block that has been refurbished? And could you enlighten me on what a top end kit is? I have a general idea, but I could use some more facts.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Road Trip!

For the clutch a Centerforce Dual Friction is awesome(zero slip). It's a little noisy though.

For acceleration, you need torque. Buy a bolt on Paxton or Vortech 6psi supercharger kit and call it a day.

Otherwise you will be like me and put $19,000 in to a car worth $9,000. If you don't have much money then keep it simple. That's the best advice I can give. If you'd like a parts list I'm sure we could accommodate but it will be expensive.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
For the clutch a Centerforce Dual Friction is awesome(zero slip). It's a little noisy though.

For acceleration, you need torque. Buy a bolt on Paxton or Vortech 6psi supercharger kit and call it a day.

Otherwise you will be like me and put $19,000 in to a car worth $9,000. If you don't have much money then keep it simple. That's the best advice I can give. If you'd like a parts list I'm sure we could accommodate but it will be expensive.
Superchargers for the 5.0 are pretty cheap. Do you think that would be the best route? I though about Doing that, but I know for sure I want a new cam. I am probably going to use an E303 because the stock cam in the 302 is actually pretty good. But an E303 would help I think.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
+1 just for top end kits used to new you can spend $1,000-$3,000 just for parts.

Are you keeping your block or boring / stroking it?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend!

(Just a FYI I rebuilt my car from motor / trans / fuel system and I'm around $14,000 for parts)
How much was it just for the engine?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

Superchargers for the 5.0 are pretty cheap. Do you think that would be the best route? I though about Doing that, but I know for sure I want a new cam. I am probably going to use an E303 because the stock cam in the 302 is actually pretty good. But an E303 would help I think.
If you have stock heads and intake then don't bother changing you cam. You car would be very fun to drive and still "reliable" with the addition of a low boost supercharger.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I am not having problems with my block, wouldn't it be cheaper to just strip it down and rebuild it, over buying a block that has been refurbished? And could you enlighten me on what a top end kit is? I have a general idea, but I could use some more facts.
Top end kit is Heads, Cam, Intake manifold, lifters and rocker arms
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have realistic goals. As far as specifics go, that's why I want opinions. I have full bolt ons minus a throttle body and I want opinions on what you more experienced mustang guys think I should do. This is my first mustang, so I want ideas from people who have learned from trial and error. I listed specific parts I am 100% sure I am going to replace. I don't see what else you are wanting me to say? If anything YOU can ask me specific questions that you have an opinion on. I am not planning on switching my induction, and I don't know what I want to do about stroking it. That's why I am asking. I would like to keep the block if I can. But if anything, I would just buy an already assembled motor for cheaper than paying to replace everything. Sorry if I am sounding like an *******. I asked for opinions. And I don't know where I want to go with it yet. That's the reason for me posting this thread.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

And I bought a daily driver so that I wouldn't be pressed for time. So that isn't a problem. And as far as skills go, I am capable of just about everything I want to do, and if I can't, I am surrounded by guys who can.
yeah...good luck with your project
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Not trying to invade your thread. Just trying to do what everyone else here is: Learn Something! This is not an "I know more than you" kinda place. This is a place for people with one common goal, to make a BADASS Mustang, can combine ideas. Sorry for any hurt feelings...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT