Exhaust leak question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Exhaust leak question?

Can a decent exhaust leak at the x-pipe effect the cars performance.?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
I would imagine it would hurt your torque some. If putting an x-pipe on the car gained power i would think one with a hole in it would lose some
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Can a decent exhaust leak at the x-pipe effect the cars performance.?
As long as the leak is after the O2 sensors and not to close to them it won't have much, if any effect. If the exhaust leaks before the sensor then it contaminates the gases and the sensor sends false readings to the ECU which will affect performance.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

As long as the leak is after the O2 sensors and not to close to them it won't have much, if any effect. If the exhaust leaks before the sensor then it contaminates the gases and the sensor sends false readings to the ECU which will affect performance.
+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! 😄

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! dde04
The dde04 was an emoji from my phone. Apparently it doesn't show up... My bad.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! ������

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

The dde04 was an emoji from my phone. Apparently it doesn't show up... My bad.
Thanks, but no, you can never know to much. Most of what I know is on the older Mustangs, I haven't delved to deeply into the newer mod motors and electronics yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I use to have Bassani X-pipes with high flow cats , after new motor went in I cut the cats off and re-welded new stainless pipping in place. My fried who did the welding missed the tops of both sides of the new pipping and I had it fix today and it just seem different driving the car "in a good way" like it was smoother !!!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Thanks, but no, you can never know to much. Most of what I know is on the older Mustangs, I haven't delved to deeply into the newer mod motors and electronics yet.
What kind of mustang do you have?

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
Well I use to have Bassani X-pipes with high flow cats , after new motor went in I cut the cats off and re-welded new stainless pipping in place. My fried who did the welding missed the tops of both sides of the new pipping and I had it fix today and it just seem different driving the car "in a good way" like it was smoother !!!
Smoother is the perfect word to describe the difference. It's almost like a new car in a way. I was looking around to see if I was in my car because I almost forgot how good it sounded. Are you running full bassani exhaust?
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Smoother is the perfect word to describe the difference. It's almost like a new car in a way. I was looking around to see if I was in my car because I almost forgot how good it sounded. Are you running full bassani exhaust?
No my exhaust is a mut!!

BBK equal length header
Bassani o/r x-pipe
Flowmaster American thunder 40s
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
It probably is smoother getting rid of the disruption in the exhaust flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
I currently own an 86 GT & 89 GT Convertible. I have owned numerous Mustangs from 1965s to 2005s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust