Exhaust leak question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Exhaust leak question?

Can a decent exhaust leak at the x-pipe effect the cars performance.?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
I would imagine it would hurt your torque some. If putting an x-pipe on the car gained power i would think one with a hole in it would lose some
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Can a decent exhaust leak at the x-pipe effect the cars performance.?
As long as the leak is after the O2 sensors and not to close to them it won't have much, if any effect. If the exhaust leaks before the sensor then it contaminates the gases and the sensor sends false readings to the ECU which will affect performance.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

As long as the leak is after the O2 sensors and not to close to them it won't have much, if any effect. If the exhaust leaks before the sensor then it contaminates the gases and the sensor sends false readings to the ECU which will affect performance.
+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! 😄

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! dde04
The dde04 was an emoji from my phone. Apparently it doesn't show up... My bad.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
+1. Mine used to leak really bad at the manifold and where the pipe meets the header, I fixed both of those and it made noticeable difference. Trojan Horse, is it possible for someone to know too much about mustangs? Because I think if it is, you are beyond that point! ������

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

The dde04 was an emoji from my phone. Apparently it doesn't show up... My bad.
Thanks, but no, you can never know to much. Most of what I know is on the older Mustangs, I haven't delved to deeply into the newer mod motors and electronics yet.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Well I use to have Bassani X-pipes with high flow cats , after new motor went in I cut the cats off and re-welded new stainless pipping in place. My fried who did the welding missed the tops of both sides of the new pipping and I had it fix today and it just seem different driving the car "in a good way" like it was smoother !!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Thanks, but no, you can never know to much. Most of what I know is on the older Mustangs, I haven't delved to deeply into the newer mod motors and electronics yet.
What kind of mustang do you have?

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
Well I use to have Bassani X-pipes with high flow cats , after new motor went in I cut the cats off and re-welded new stainless pipping in place. My fried who did the welding missed the tops of both sides of the new pipping and I had it fix today and it just seem different driving the car "in a good way" like it was smoother !!!
Smoother is the perfect word to describe the difference. It's almost like a new car in a way. I was looking around to see if I was in my car because I almost forgot how good it sounded. Are you running full bassani exhaust?
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

What kind of mustang do you have?

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------



Smoother is the perfect word to describe the difference. It's almost like a new car in a way. I was looking around to see if I was in my car because I almost forgot how good it sounded. Are you running full bassani exhaust?
No my exhaust is a mut!!

BBK equal length header
Bassani o/r x-pipe
Flowmaster American thunder 40s
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Well I use to have Bassani X-pipes with high flow cats , after new motor went in I cut the cats off and re-welded new stainless pipping in place. My fried who did the welding missed the tops of both sides of the new pipping and I had it fix today and it just seem different driving the car "in a good way" like it was smoother !!!
It probably is smoother getting rid of the disruption in the exhaust flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
What kind of mustang do you have?
I currently own an 86 GT & 89 GT Convertible. I have owned numerous Mustangs from 1965s to 2005s.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:21 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.