Carb to efi - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kenny laird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 202
Carb to efi

A freind if mine has a 85 fox body and is wanting to change to efi. Was wondering if anyone has done it or have any insite on this project.
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird View Post
A freind if mine has a 85 fox body and is wanting to change to efi. Was wondering if anyone has done it or have any insite on this project.
No I have not done it, but if I did I would buy a complete wrecked EFI car and salvage all of the parts to install the EFI on the car you're upgrading.


That would be very helpful in getting all the parts you need plus being able to see exactly how they were installed.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
I thought the 85 was throttle body injected? If its TBI I just helped a buddy work on his 85 5.0 and its the exact same as the EFI cept the fuel lines, harness, computer and upper and lower intake. Atleast from what we could tell, I'm planning a TBI to EFI swap so I was looking for differences.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
I thought the 85 was throttle body injected? If its TBI I just helped a buddy work on his 85 5.0 and its the exact same as the EFI cept the fuel lines, harness, computer and upper and lower intake. Atleast from what we could tell, I'm planning a TBI to EFI swap so I was looking for differences.
Must be something someone put on there. As far as I know all 85 5.0 Mustangs were carbureted.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kenny laird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 202
So they whole entire harness would need to be swaped out
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Must be something someone put on there. As far as I know all 85 5.0 Mustangs were carbureted.
Gotchya, I've only seen 2 TBI mustangs and that was the only one I've seen close. Since its carbed I agree, get a parts car and just swap everything. Easier and cheaper! So wen was the TBI 5.0 made? I've loved mustangs since I was 15 an like I said I've only seen 2 so it couldn't have been long.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird View Post
So they whole entire harness would need to be swaped out
Yes it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
Gotchya, I've only seen 2 TBI mustangs and that was the only one I've seen close. Since its carbed I agree, get a parts car and just swap everything. Easier and cheaper! So wen was the TBI 5.0 made? I've loved mustangs since I was 15 an like I said I've only seen 2 so it couldn't have been long.

I don't know if the Mustang ever had TBI to be honest. It probably came off of another model Ford car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes it would.

I don't know if the Mustang ever had TBI to be honest. It probably came off of another model Ford car.
My buddy had an 85 GT auto that had TBI.. My understanding was auto had TBI and 5spd had carb.. He converted his to a carb.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Oh ok, makes cents. I would have converted it to carb too. Tbi sucks! Lol
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
My buddy had an 85 GT auto that had TBI.. My understanding was auto had TBI and 5spd had carb.. He converted his to a carb.
That's why I never saw one. All of them I saw were 5 speeds.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's why I never saw one. All of them I saw were 5 speeds.
I didn't know this either. Learn something new everyday!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I didn't know this either. Learn something new everyday!
My understanding was TBI made more low torque to help the autos.. I have no 'proof' but this is just what I remember.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:37 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.