Wiring in a relay to toggle switch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Ok so here's what I have:

Toggle switch with wire from battery going to it

4 prong relay
85 prong gets 12v from toggle switch
86 prong is ground
87 is 12v to the fan
30 prong is 12v from the battery

Do I have this correct?
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Ok so here's what I have:

Toggle switch with wire from battery going to it

4 prong relay
85 prong gets 12v from toggle switch
86 prong is ground
87 is 12v to the fan
30 prong is 12v from the battery

Do I have this correct?

Here's a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Single Speed Fan Toggle Switch Wiring.jpg
Views:	33585
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	73013  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Here's a diagram.
So I have a positive ground? Sorry, not very wiring savvy. I was hit going to leave the fan grounded the eh I have it and ground the relay to the battery, but from the looks of it, I may need to so like this diagram suggests.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
89 coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 132
Follow the diagram it's pretty straight forward instruction.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jar72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany
Region: Georgia
Posts: 127
Which kit do you have for it I installed one in mine a couple weeks ago it works great. If u want I can post pics of all my connections and where I mounted everything.
__________________
JMF
Jar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe
Follow the diagram it's pretty straight forward instruction.
I followed it but didn't work. I found a different one yesterday and it worked.

No kit, just a toggle switch with a relay wired into so I don't burn up the switch.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
So I have a positive ground? Sorry, not very wiring savvy. I was hit going to leave the fan grounded the eh I have it and ground the relay to the battery, but from the looks of it, I may need to so like this diagram suggests.
No that's not positive ground.
Positive ground is where the positive post of the battery is connected to the engine/frame and the negative side is used to power all of the components.


The diagram is just suggestive, you can get your power or grounds from wherever you have a place to get them as long as the power attaching point will provide sufficient amperage to run the fan.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
I followed it but didn't work. I found a different one yesterday and it worked.

No kit, just a toggle switch with a relay wired into so I don't burn up the switch.
Show me what you found and I can tell you why.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Here's what I found TH, drew a little picture for ya

85-12v from toggle switch
86-straight to ground
87-12v out to fan
30-12v from battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3456397669.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	73054  
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Here's what I found TH, drew a little picture for ya

85-12v from toggle switch
86-straight to ground
87-12v out to fan
30-12v from battery
That's pretty much exactly the way my diagram showed it too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's pretty much exactly the way my diagram showed it too.
It's been working flawlessly all day and the switch never got the slightest bit hot, def a lot happier with the piece of mind. I even tested the the empty slots in my fuse panel again but no power was getting to them with the key on or off.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
It's been working flawlessly all day and the switch never got the slightest bit hot, def a lot happier with the piece of mind. I even tested the the empty slots in my fuse panel again but no power was getting to them with the key on or off.
The switch shouldn't get hot at all in this configuration. All you are pulling through it is the small amount of power it takes to activate the relay coil.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The switch shouldn't get hot at all in this configuration. All you are pulling through it is the small amount of power it takes to activate the relay coil.
Yea, what I meant was compared to before when I just had it wired to the switch no relay.

I think when I followed your diagram before I didn't ground the relay or fan. I think I took the ground from the relay and plugged it into the fan so I ended up grounding the relay and fan seperate to get it to work. I think that was my problem.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Yea, what I meant was compared to before when I just had it wired to the switch no relay.

I think when I followed your diagram before I didn't ground the relay or fan. I think I took the ground from the relay and plugged it into the fan so I ended up grounding the relay and fan separate to get it to work. I think that was my problem.
Just explaining a bit as to why the switch should no longer heat up.
Did not intend to criticize your post.
That would keep it from working.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Just explaining a bit as to why the switch should no longer heat up.
Did not intend to criticize your post.
That would keep it from working.
No offense taken i knew what ya meant
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.