1992 mustang LX idle problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #1

Region: California
1992 mustang LX idle problems

Recently put in a upper and lower intake. 24 lbs injectors fuel pump mass airflow sensor cam. My car is now turning off and when I give it gas it'll shutter
nsguido415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe you need to get it tuned
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguido415
Recently put in a upper and lower intake. 24 lbs injectors fuel pump mass airflow sensor cam. My car is now turning off and when I give it gas it'll shutter
Look in the stickies. Excellent write up on surging/hanging idle and idle reset. U should be ok without a tune unless u supercharged/turbo. Maf needs to be calibrated for the 24lb. injectors and check for vacuum leaks.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

The maf i bought was for 73mm and 24lb injectors. Its still turning off. What do you mean the stickies?

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms

Look in the stickies. Excellent write up on surging/hanging idle and idle reset. U should be ok without a tune unless u supercharged/turbo. Maf needs to be calibrated for the 24lb. injectors and check for vacuum leaks.
The maf i bought was 73mm and 24lb injectors
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There are the forums and the stickies. Under the stickies there is a useful thread forum that will help u with ur problems.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:

So i turn the car on idles at about 1000-1100. I let the car warm up then put the car in first start to go and the cars starts to shutter like it doesn't want to pass a center speed. I continue to drive finally after about 15-20 seconds the car starts to drive normal. Say im already going about 45 mphs. And slam the gas the car will then start to shutter and jerk
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did u change the sock on the pump, change fuel filter? Also check fuel pressure and do the base idle reset. Also be a good idea to do the koeo and koer test and see if u have any codes come up. Check cap and rotor also. If either or both are bad it can cause the break up under load.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Quote:
There are the forums and the stickies. Under the stickies there is a useful thread forum that will help u with ur problems.
Quote:
Did u change the sock on the pump, change fuel filter? Also check fuel pressure and do the base idle reset. Also be a good idea to do the koeo and koer test and see if u have any codes come up. Check cap and rotor also. If either or both are bad it can cause the break up under load.
Excellent approach imo
Also make sure all wire connections are tight. To check for vacuum leaks use a can of carb cleaner and spray all suspected areas including the fuel injectors being careful of electrical.
Make sure your tps has proper voltage and your iac and maf are clean. Then also make sure the egr is functioning properly.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Excellent approach imo
Also make sure all wire connections are tight. To check for vacuum leaks use a can of carb cleaner and spray all suspected areas including the fuel injectors being careful of electrical.
Make sure your tps has proper voltage and your iac and maf are clean. Then also make sure the egr is functioning properly.
Went to a mech he ordered me a new mass airflow sensor iac sensor and bap sensor? Said they probably faulty hopefully that fixes the shutter
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguido415 View Post
Went to a mech he ordered me a new mass airflow sensor iac sensor and bap sensor? Said they probably faulty hopefully that fixes the shutter
Didn't he test them first? Sounds like they're just throwing parts at it hoping one of them is the problem.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Didn't he test them first? Sounds like they're just throwing parts at it hoping one of them is the problem.
thats what i was wondering......
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Lol right i was confused... all he said oh you need this this and that.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote:
How do you d a base idle test
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

If u look under the stickies section in the useful thread forum there is a write up on base idle reset.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:

I just realized im missing a bolt on the tps does that matter?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just realized im missing a bolt on the tps does that matter?
Without both screws in there it could be out of adjustment. It will throw idle off. Get another screw and set the tps to .95-.98 volts with a mm and twist ur throttle and should make a sweep to bout 4.5 volts at full throttle and then do your base idle reset.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1992 mustang