msd or accel??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

fordracing63857 is unknown around these parts
msd or accel???

Looking to upgrade my distributor cap/rotor, coil and plug wires. Which brand is best?? Going on a 95 gt.....

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 AM ----------

Also, what plugs do yall recommend?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Finchms is unknown around these parts
Msd. I have never had much luck with accel. Autolite plugs. Imo its the best plugs for fords!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

fordracing63857 is unknown around these parts
Ok, now what size plug wires should I use??
Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Finchms is unknown around these parts
I run fms 9mm wires but 8mm wires are fine. The mm of the plug wire is just the thickness of the insulation on the wire and won't gain u any more power or spark. Msd and mallory are good and i have heard taylor wires are good too.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Road Trip!

dreamstang is unknown around these parts
I have msd:coil, ignition box, distributor, cap rotor etc. They all work flawlessly. I do have accel wires also. I have burned up one, but I don't blame the wire, I blame the headers! Lol
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Iluvmy5.0 is unknown around these parts
I have always used MSD. For no other reason than when I was younger I thought red looked bad ass. I guess it just stuck. Maybe if an ignition company decided all of their products were going to be a distinct green I would buy them instead. Green is great and green means go and I like to go!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Trojan Horse is just getting started.
I've tried them all over the years and IMO, MSD outperforms the competitors by a good margin. I've used the MSD ignition boxes, distributors, coils and wires, all with good results.

For wires I would use the MSD Super Conductors or the Taylor Thundervolt 50. The lower the resistance is in the wire the more spark energy you can get to the plug.

When choosing an MSD distributor, choose carefully because some models only work with their ignition box.

For spark plugs the Autolites are one of the best choices and they won't "break the bank" when buying them. Do not waste your money on any of the "gimmick" spark plugs, as they are just that, a gimmick to get your money.
For an increase in spark at the plug tip and possible mileage improvements you can modify them as shown in the "Useful Info" sticky thread, but note that doing those mods will reduce the plug's useful life.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT