Underdrive pullies - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Underdrive pullies

I have a 95gt and am planning on getting bbk under drive pullies. I have eliminated the smog pump completely so I have no idea what size belt I will need for this. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i would STRONGLY advise against ud pulleys. the 5.0 motors almost never function properly afterwards most of the time they create charging issues, and others they create cooling issues. i have seen this over and over and over. if you do decide to get them save your stock pulleys for when you decide to pit them back on. only amrare few get away without issues.

with that said, you can use a string and run it around the pulleys. then simply measure the string for belt length. it works even better if you have an old belt you can cut to length and duct tape together. then you can just go match it up. but i would save your current belt also just incase.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i would STRONGLY advise against ud pulleys. the 5.0 motors almost never function properly afterwards most of the time they create charging issues, and others they create cooling issues. i have seen this over and over and over. if you do decide to get them save your stock pulleys for when you decide to pit them back on. only amrare few get away without issues.

with that said, you can use a string and run it around the pulleys. then simply measure the string for belt length. it works even better if you have an old belt you can cut to length and duct tape together. then you can just go match it up. but i would save your current belt also just incase.
+1 read lots of bad stories of 5.0s with udps.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Though I have underdrives. I'm going to agree with dream on this. I don't want to recommend something that can cause issues
I get along fine with mine 95% of the time unless say I have the heat on and wipers on high If I let it sit at idle voltage is low on everything. In those situations I drive in a lower gear to keep rpms up. Not what I would say most people would recommend.
I'm just not most people!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Road Trip!

I took mine off. A waste of money.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have to say i must be one of the lucky ones cause mine is fine with the uds. I hope i didn't just jinks myself. Lol

Most times u do always hear of ppl having problems with them. Good luck if u decide to get em!
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Would a higher voltage alternator help because im planning on picking one of those up too. My voltage is unsteady already when turning and such. Thanks for the replies btw. I'm new here
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokjax95
Would a higher voltage alternator help because im planning on picking one of those up too. My voltage is unsteady already when turning and such. Thanks for the replies btw. I'm new here
some cases it will and some it wont. i tried a 150 amp and it didnt fix it. if you are already having issues with voltage i would defintly stray away

oh and welcome!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If u must have em, I definitely wouldn't buy new. So many people have problems with them, that there's lots of em on Craigslist and eBay.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Though I have underdrives. I'm going to agree with dream on this. I don't want to recommend something that can cause issues
I get along fine with mine 95% of the time unless say I have the heat on and wipers on high If I let it sit at idle voltage is low on everything. In those situations I drive in a lower gear to keep rpms up. Not what I would say most people would recommend.
I'm just not most people!..
I have those exact issues.
Matt95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to look for a used set first and see if any problems surface. Hopefully it works without a hitch.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokjax95
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to look for a used set first and see if any problems surface. Hopefully it works without a hitch.
no problem and good luck. please at least save the stock stuff incase you are one of the majority. lol i always see people selling there ud's willing to trade for stockers.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So I got the BBK UDPs on. As you guys said there is a slight voltage problem. At idle the interior lights tend to flicker but other than that, they're awesome!! The power increase was worth it IMO. I saved the old belt and pullies just in case. Installation was crazy easy for anyone wanting to do an install tho.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokjax95 View Post
So I got the BBK UDPs on. As you guys said there is a slight voltage problem. At idle the interior lights tend to flicker but other than that, they're awesome!! The power increase was worth it IMO. I saved the old belt and pullies just in case. Installation was crazy easy for anyone wanting to do an install tho.
I had to switch back to stock pullies because of that reason !
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Ditto
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Yup. I had to overdrive my alternator pulley to make up for the underdrive crank pulley.

If you are already having a slight issue. It will get worse. Everytime you drive it the voltage may get lower and lower with the alternator not ever being able to get it back up. So it may bite you in the ars one day. But hopefully not. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #17

Region: Texas
I got inderdrive too gHnna swap back asap my car runs like **** now
b.hewy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
some cases it will and some it wont. i tried a 150 amp and it didnt fix it. if you are already having issues with voltage i would defintly stray away

oh and welcome!
What you're talking about is the sn95 alts? the 3g ones, that would have a higher peak current/watt output but the voltage will be the same i.e. in low RPM high draw situations ur gonna get under volts with the udp
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich

What you're talking about is the sn95 alts? the 3g ones, that would have a higher peak current/watt output but the voltage will be the same i.e. in low RPM high draw situations ur gonna get under volts with the udp
Exactly. Also even the higher amp alternators are still designed to spin a certain rpm before they produce.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT