Adjustable clutch on my 5.0??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Adjustable clutch on my 5.0???

Hey guys I drive a 1990 5.0 lx I don't know what type of clutch I have :/ but I was wondering how can you tell if your cable clutch is adjustable I'm asking this question because when I put my car into reverse it tends to grind when iv used the car for about 30 min or more normally it dsnt grind whenmim barley using it but anyways I heard it could be a clutch promblem and also I did begin to
Earn how to drive stick shift in this mustang and when I was beging I would smell my clutch burning
Lol so any suggestions? advise? Anything would be appreciated.
Peluks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're talking about adjustment to how it feels, it is just a threaded rod with a nut on the end. If you're talking about wear adjustment, it is a self adjusting system. I would throw my money on the driving lessons scenario just by what you say...;D
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peluks90 View Post
Hey guys I drive a 1990 5.0 lx I don't know what type of clutch I have :/ but I was wondering how can you tell if your cable clutch is adjustable I'm asking this question because when I put my car into reverse it tends to grind when iv used the car for about 30 min or more normally it dsnt grind whenmim barley using it but anyways I heard it could be a clutch promblem and also I did begin to
Earn how to drive stick shift in this mustang and when I was beging I would smell my clutch burning
Lol so any suggestions? advise? Anything would be appreciated.
Using your foot, lift up in the clutch pedal. If you hear some clicks then it was out of adjustment and that should help. If not then your clutch may be worn past the point of the factory adjustment capabilities.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cool! Didn't know that man. Thanks from both of us TH!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay thanks guys I will try that
But yr telling me that the clutch is self adjust when it's getting wasted? Or can I re adjust to make it work better?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
I've had new Ford T5's that you have to throw into fifth then reverse or it grinds a little. You can try that also.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peluks90 View Post
Oh okay thanks guys I will try that
But yr telling me that the clutch is self adjust when it's getting wasted? Or can I re adjust to make it work better?
It's only "self adjust" if/when you lift up on the pedal.
I never owned one that would adjust itself without doing that.

If you want more adjustment you will need to get an adjuster that mounts on the firewall.
It's a good idea to replace the cable, get the adjuster and an aluminum quadrant all in the same package.
Maximum Motorsports has the only OEM quality cables in their kits that I know of to date.
Other aftermarket cables are weak and do not last very long, especially if you have a stiff aftermarket clutch.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes iv notice that and even If I do that it still grinds I googled it and another persons oppinion was that the clutch is getting worn out that's why I wanna see if it's adjustable

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Sure well thanks I'll have a look at it
But what ur telling my I can't adjust the way it is now? Would I need something or what do you think :/
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peluks90
Yes iv notice that and even If I do that it still grinds I googled it and another persons oppinion was that the clutch is getting worn out that's why I wanna see if it's adjustable

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Sure well thanks I'll have a look at it
But what ur telling my I can't adjust the way it is now? Would I need something or what do you think :/
You can buy a firewall adjuster as stated. It will give you way more adjustment then lifting the pedal. But if your clutch is worn to much it maybot help. But even if it doesn't it is still a great mod even for a brand new clutch. So $$$ wouldn't be waisted if it doesn't help.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Finally! I have been wondering about this. Whenever I try to put it in reverse it grinds, I found two ways to get around this. Pull the hand brake then shift into reverse (only helps sometimes) or put it in reverse whiles the car is off then reverse away! Im gonna go try the clutch lift thing, Thanks guys!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I tried pulling up on the clutch pedal and no luck, (sorry for stealing the thread lol) still get the grinding going into reverse (the fifth gear to reverse did work) and it feels like even when the clutch is depressed there is a light load on the gears, like I have to pull a little too much to get it out of first (especially when on a small backwards slope in a drive gear) so is my clutch shot? havent noticed slipping... I dont think so at least. What would I potentially need to replace?? It seems like one problem after another... ugh
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Well, I tried pulling up on the clutch pedal and no luck, (sorry for stealing the thread lol) still get the grinding going into reverse (the fifth gear to reverse did work) and it feels like even when the clutch is depressed there is a light load on the gears, like I have to pull a little too much to get it out of first (especially when on a small backwards slope in a drive gear) so is my clutch shot? havent noticed slipping... I dont think so at least. What would I potentially need to replace?? It seems like one problem after another... ugh
It could be that your clutch cable has stretched past the adjustment capabilities of the mechanism. There is no way to really verify that other than removing it and comparing it to a new one, by which time you will want to replace it while it's out anyways.

Save up, buy a cable/quadrant/adjuster kit and replace the cable, quadrant and install a firewall adjuster at the same time. Maximum Motorsports is the only place that I know of that has the OEM style cable which is much better than any of the aftermarket cables.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #13

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
I've had new Ford T5's that you have to throw into fifth then reverse or it grinds a little. You can try that also.
^Yes, my 86 also had this issue/trick to make reverse not grind.
86.5ptOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The quadrant and cable replacement is worthwhile to do, and a great improvement. I did my 87 GT after the self-adjuster failed on me, on the road. I thought the clutch went out, and had to get it towed home at 2am, 40 miles...that was an expensive tow. In reality, the self-adjusting clutch-pedal mechanism had sheered off all of the teeth, which were plastic, old, and very brittle. I pulled it all apart, replaced it with an aluminum quadrant, new cable, and adjuster, and was better than new. I never had issues with grinding gears again.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT