Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Brakes

I push my brake pedal to the floor and even then it is a super slow stop. I hear air when I push the brakes, could this just be a loss of fluid and does anybody know what kind to put in my 87
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would bleed the brake system. You should be able to use DOT brake fluid from any parts store.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I know dot 3, it's early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Check the lines too, might have a leak as well, in the hard lines or the rubber, or at least a weak line.

I had to replace both front rubber lines on my old 1987 GT, it had horrible brakes when I got it. I found that my rubber lines between the caliper and the hard line had broken down and were bulging when pressure was applied to the pedal, causing a "spongy" feel in the pedal. If i'd waited another day i think it would have been it for me, they may have ruptured and failed. Replacing those, then bleeding out and replacing fluid until it ran clean out the bleeder valves did make a HUGE difference. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but it's worth saving your ride and or your life to do it.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks, I added fluid this morning and drove an hour to airport and it was fine but on way back I had to start pumping the brakes. Scary
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveohfox View Post
Ok thanks, I added fluid this morning and drove an hour to airport and it was fine but on way back I had to start pumping the brakes. Scary
I had a 2nd thought about this, you might have a leaky master cylinder. Look around and see if you can find the source of your leak. I had one leaking on a Honda of mine a few years ago that was undetectable..after searching and searching, I replaced the master cyl and it fixed it. It had been a damaged seal on the connection to the firewall, and was leaking inside, inside the firewall, and was a real pain. Cost me $40 in parts and probably 3 months to troubleshoot...If you're refilling fluid, it has to be going somewhere.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
First try bleeding your brakes. Number one thing to do. Release the air in the lines. Add fluid after doing that. It will work better for a while. Then you have to find we're the leak is coming from because your getting air in you lines. I had the same thing. Bleed mine and working but haven't diagnose we're its leaking or letting air in the lines.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok will do thanks guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT