Gaskets to buy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Gaskets to buy?

So I'm replacing my valve cover gaskets and will also have to replace up intake gasket. I'm wondering if to use the rubber and metal valve cover gaskets or just the all rubber gasket? They make two different's at late model restoration. Or are the good old cork gaskets good? My car sits a lot and feel the cork gaskets aren't the way to go for that reason. Also what kind of gasket you prefer for rear main seals on the motor
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07 View Post
So I'm replacing my valve cover gaskets and will also have to replace up intake gasket. I'm wondering if to use the rubber and metal valve cover gaskets or just the all rubber gasket? They make two different's at late model restoration. Or are the good old cork gaskets good? My car sits a lot and feel the cork gaskets aren't the way to go for that reason. Also what kind of gasket you prefer for rear main seals on the motor
The rubber with a metal core are the best. The metal keeps them from squirting out from under the cover like plain rubber gaskets tend to do.
The rear main seal is just a metal ring with a rubber wiper/seal in it. Not a lot of choices there other than manufacturer.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The rubber with a metal core are the best. The metal keeps them from squirting out from under the cover like plain rubber gaskets tend to do.
The rear main seal is just a metal ring with a rubber wiper/seal in it. Not a lot of choices there other than manufacturer.
Thanks Trojan. Figured it was because it was the more expensive one haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

Region: Arizona
rockauto.com sells the nice FELPRO rubber/metal gaskets cheap
james90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by james90LX
rockauto.com sells the nice FELPRO rubber/metal gaskets cheap
Okay I'll check it out tomorrow when I get to work. Why are they cheaper? Seems to good to be true?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07
Felpro and use copper paint spray
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT